Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a problem with the engine overheating whenever there is heavy traffic?

i regularly check the water and it seems fine untill i get to a long queu of traffic and it overheats!! and its pretty cold most of the times here in good old Scotland!

am I being daft here? I mean, how often am i supposed to refill the radiator. i check it almost every week....( I check the radiator) am i missing something? ...am i not checking the right place? or not checking it enough?

It only overheats when there is a very heavy and slow traffic. (waiting to move mostly)............ It has never done it under other circumstances.

Ive read in the manual that this is normal behavior....but im beggining to get annoyed. I mean i check the water level constantly but it still does it in the worst moments.... again , only in slow moving traffic... its done it about 4 or 5 times in the past 8 months ..

I dont see any leaks either....

does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
First of all, no vehicle should overheat. (as long as it has a radiator...lol) I would have the system checked out and make sure that the coolant is still in good condition, and perhaps not a blockage in the radiator. If that is not the case then I would probably check the thermostat and/or water pump.

BTW, I've never had my RAV overheat. Also, how many miles do you have on your RAV?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a few things you might want to do on your checklist with your RAV4 before coming into any conclusion.

1. When you fill your radiator. What sort of coolant of water you're using?

2. When you remove the radiator cap, what is the colour of the coolant and is there any sort of fine grain deposit in it.

3. Remove your oil filler cap and do you find any white emulsify suspension on your oil cap?

If your answer is yes to no. 2. You have residue in your radiator system and will need a flushing.

If your answer is yes to no. 3. Your head gasket is blown, water and oil is mixing.

Also, refering to no 1. If you add water only, you increases your chances of rusting your cooling system.

If your answer is no to no. 1 and 2. If might be your thermostat got stuck on wide open. Hence resulting the effects of no thermostat principle. You will run fine when you're driving and water temperature will increase fairly slowly when you start to drive. However when you got stuck in traffic, water temperature will keep rising and eventually your fans couldn't coop with the cooling and overheating occurs.

Good luck. If you need anymore help, come back over with more details and see what we can work out.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think is the thermostat got stuck . to test it next time you drive blass the hot air is air comes out cool that means its your thermostat. i hope this helps

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cooling fan comes on when the water temperature sensor in the radiator comes around the 80-82 deg C mark. Once the sensoer detects a few degrees change in water temperature, it will shut off the electric radiator fan.

·
Registered
176 Posts
But the question is: Does the fan on chacalon's RAV come on? One thing abot the fan on a RAV4 you know when it comes on :D

·
Registered
986 Posts
I am thinking the fan also, because he mentioned that it only overheats when sitting in traffic. If it was a coolant/thermostat issue it would tend to overheat more when the vehicle is moving.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the comments guys,

as it turns out it is the fan, the thing had been disconnected by the mechanic because it won't shut down and would drain the battery.

so its been disconected. I will get it checked.....

but does anyone know what it might take to get it fixed? Its just an electric problem i imagine.

or do i need a new fan .

i checked for signs of residue and its all fine..its just the fan

·
Registered
542 Posts
if the fan still runs when the ignition is off & the key removed (so as to drain your battery) you really have a problem! maybe the relay is defect & shorted or someone screwed up the wiring! remove the relay to check..

defective/open temp sensor will make the fan always run but it will switch off with the ignition. the condenser & radiator fan are connected in series when the aircon compressor is on so they both run at 1/2 speed. high discharge pressuer in the aircon or the radiator temp switch will make both fans run at full speed, but both should go off with the ignition off.

if the battery is draining when the engine is running & the fan is on, it's time to check the charging circuit!!

i ran for some months with the radiator fan permanently on by pulling the temp sensor connector (coz the condenser fan was open circuit and i can't live without aircon) but never had a problem with the battery being drained!

hope this helps a bit..

·
Registered
1 Posts
97 rav4 overheating......

here is the deal.... old vehicle but still realiable... the car is overheating ("but the needle never reach the red zone") after on the road for couple of miles not when idle.... after reading in all the forums decided to chance the thermostat and the upper radiator hose, also i noticed that the ridiator cap had little corrosion.... will replace. both fans are working once temp goes over mid point. i do not see any antifreeze under the vehicle on the ground or any antifreeze marks under the hood. please help.:wall forgot to mention, that after driving the car after for couple of miles i noticed the new hose i installed was sucked in like it had no antifreeze in the cooling system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts