Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Rav4 D4D, on which the water pump self destructed at 55K Miles, taking with it the cam belt, snapped both cam shafts, plus most of the valves bent, which has required a replacement head complete
Has any one else had this problem or is it an isolated incident?.

:cry:

·
Registered
212 Posts
02 Rav4, don't they come with a chain instead of a belt?
A water pump caused all that damage?
Sorry about your Rav4.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
How do you know what component failed first? How do you know it was the WP?

Any Toyota component failing at 55k and taking out the top end of an engine is bad news for us all. :shock:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Jeff said:
FYI he's talking about the diesel RAV4 not the gas RAV4.
That is correct, but I have never heard of a WP taking out the top end of an engine before, diesel or not.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think what he means it that the water pump siezed up, and since it runs off the timing belt it destroyed the timing belt, which in turn screwed up the timing of the engine, which resulted in ruined cams and valves.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeff said:
I think what he means it that the water pump siezed up, and since it runs off the timing belt it destroyed the timing belt, which in turn screwed up the timing of the engine, which resulted in ruined cams and valves.
That is absolutely correct, the water pump was the culprit, the mess it made was awful and expensive, requiring a replacement head complete with cam shafts.
When it is finished I will confirm with pictures what was wrong.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Did it happen all of a sudden with no warning?
Or has it been squeaking for a while but you didn't know what/where it was coming from?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before it went, I had a a small water loss from the engine, but the garage could not trace the problem, I guess the leak was from the water pump!. but before it went there was no noise from the engine.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
manwithwhitevan said:
Before it went, I had a a small water loss from the engine, but the garage could not trace the problem, I guess the leak was from the water pump!. but before it went there was no noise from the engine.
This is interesting. There seems to be all the main symptoms for identifing a WP failure except there was no noise. Most of the time engine coolant leaking from the WP weep hole is the first indication that the seal has begun to leak. Once the seal leaks it is just a matter of time until the antifreeze washes the grease from the WP bearings. Then one hears the grinding/rattling (death song) of the bearings. This can happen in a few weeks or several months after the leak. Generally it is the noise accomplanied by the larger losses of coolant that alert one to the fact that something is wrong and needs attention pronto.

I have seen WP shaft failure once due to ignoring the warning noises, but the main damage was limited to the WP. The shaft froze and the v-belt was thrown.

·
Registered
682 Posts
the piss weak water pumps on RAV4s sound like diesel engine clatter when they are about to die but this would have been diffcult to hear in this case as the engine already makes diesel engine clatter noise!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts