Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow RAV4ers,

I am curious to find out what is the highest MPG you can get from your Rav 4. I will start it off and then keep on adding all the responses in one place. If you would like to participate please share your highest MPG/MPG, High way or Local, Year, Model, AWD or FWD, and the type of gas you use. Premium or regular. I can probably get higher with Premium but since it is a brand new Rav4, I probably won't be using premium for many years.
My data was taken on mostly highway and the highest MPG I have gotten so far with lowest (unleaded) gas.

2017 SE, AWD
Ave MPG = 33.3
Ave MPH = 46
Road Type = Highway mostly
Gas = Regular

p.s. Does anyone know how I can add a chart in here? Is that even possible?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2013 XLE and the most mileage I've gotten from a full tank of gas (if I remember correctly) was 425. I'll have to check my receipts which I keep at each fill up. I do mostly highway driving since my commute is 156 miles round-trip at 60 mph even though the speed limit is 65.

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
2008 Limited V-6 Front wheel drive
87 octane top tier fuel only
city: 19-20*
Hwy: 23-25*
Best (all highway) 28.9
Speed: do the speed limit

*A/C usually on

I can probably get higher with Premium but since it is a brand new Rav4, I probably won't be using premium for many years.
I did that with two tanks of fuel. MPG dropped significantly, stick with 87.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've gotten 36 MPG out of my RAV4 XLE AWD - 45 MPH on a long state route.

I wouldn't put premium gas in the car. There's zero benefit unless the engine is pinging.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Juts purchased a 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD in Nov 2016 as Pre-Owned Cert. w/ 25K miles. I have only see a average best of about 24, however that is running about 75 and without the eco mode actively engaged. Will be interested to see what I get to Florida and back in April with my son (18) and my brother along for the ride (i.e. well loaded).

·
Registered
202 Posts
Cold weather and short trips are hindering MPG performance here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2013 XLE and the most mileage I've gotten from a full tank of gas (if I remember correctly) was 425. I'll have to check my receipts which I keep at each fill up. I do mostly highway driving since my commute is 156 miles round-trip at 60 mph even though the speed limit is 65.
CORRECTION: I checked my receipts and found it was actually 420 miles on a full tank....that was going beyond "E" on the gas gauge because there weren't any gas stations close by when I was at that stage....I tend to fill the tank when it's at "E" to get my pennies worth....:wink

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
Miles per tank offers little to no information. Miles per gallon figured at the pump is what counts.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Reporting MPG via "since start" trip display is pretty much useless since you can have elevation changes on short trips that run mileage up hear 45-50 MPG. There needs to be a min trip distance and elevation change note here if you are not going to reporting mileage of the entire tank of gas (which is closer to a real world mileage comparison).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Reporting MPG via "since start" trip display is pretty much useless since you can have elevation changes on short trips that run mileage up hear 45-50 MPG. There needs to be a min trip distance and elevation change note here if you are not going to reporting mileage of the entire tank of gas (which is closer to a real world mileage comparison).
not climbing Mt. Everest with the car so little changes in altitude are kind of useless...we're not talking about a F1 Formula car.....

·
Registered
428 Posts
not climbing Mt. Everest with the car so little changes in altitude are kind of useless...we're not talking about a F1 Formula car.....
You are missing the point. I live in the foothills, and per that "since start" display get 31 MPG going to work and 22 MPG coming home. Most of this is city. My main point is not that everyone lives on mount Everest, it is this display alone is a poor way to compare to others without setting basic parameters for distance traveled, and terrain driven.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there!

New member here, and my recent "long" trip ( just over halv an hour) i managed to get these numbers.
Note that trim levels are different where i live as compared to most of you ( problaby).

I ran this test to and from a hill i was skiing on, so the mpg up to the mountain was of course worse than the trip down.

2017 Active S, AWD
Ave MPG = 36-42
Ave MPH = 36-37
Road Type = Highway mostly
Gas = 95 octane

Tires where winter tires, so the mpg is also worse than in the summer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts