Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have now owned our Rav 4 Prime just over 3 months.

We have driven 2,800 miles but I have not figured out how many mile of wear on the internal combustion engine.

I can estimate based on gasoline fill ups about 500 miles of wear on the ICE. (If there is a internal log that tracks ICE miles please let me know. I receive a brief readout after each operation but it resets.)

We all have two free oil changes with the Toyota care.

I am leaning toward just replacing the oil annually even after the two year service expires because it is nearly impossible to track with accuracy how many miles the ICE has operated.

I welcome comments on routine maintenance suggestions on your Prime.

Also are there any routine maintenance on the electric motors and battery?

Are the electric motors brushless or are there friction points that require lubrications?

If yes do we know if the lubricant is sealed or requires changing?

Tesla I heard but not confirmed requires battery fluid changes.

I would suspect it would be a coolant for the battery.

Thanks,

Russ

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 PRIME
24 Posts
Thank you for saving me from posting this question .... i planned on changing oil once every 6 months Which I think is overkill but would love to hear other peoples thoughts

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime SE 2017 Prius Prime
57 Posts
Based on your first 3 mos of usage your estimated annual mileage is ~12K. There is no definitive way to know ICE mileage, but prior to our R4P I have owned Prius Primes, and if you look at your EV/HV ratio, you can estimate pretty closely. I'd just recommend changing oil annually with oil filter, air filter, and cabin air filter. There are no maintenance requirement for the motors or battery. The front motors are lubed by the transaxle oil (100K replacement, although I plan to replace much sooner). Not positive about the rear motor. The A/C R134 is routed to the battery cooler, which unless developing a leak is permanent. See the exploded battery view I posted earlier in another thread titled "Slower charge=Longer Battery Life" Remember the engine coolant is separate from the Engine Power Control Unit (Inverter) which has its own coolant supply and reservoir. Keep them both at proper levels. Clean the air vents in the back seat for proper 12V and traction battery cooling, especially if you have pets. If you want to learn more than you ever wanted about Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive issues, check out Professor John Kelly's uTube videos from Weber State University in Utah.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thoughtful and informative response Primestraw. Thanks. I know that most go with the regardless of mileage, I change my oil and the filters you mentioned at 1 year. I think that is a good plan.

At the same time one extra motor oil/filter change is IMO cheap insurance. The R4P is my 54th vehicle and never once have I had a single motor issue. Call it luck or that I always, even if I have to pay for it myself, get an extra motor oil/filter ICE change at 500 miles to get out the initial motor-break-in minute metal filing particles (piston rings and crankshaft bearing caps to their harder mating wear components and so many other parts within the motor). While I will not do it at 500 miles on this vehicle, probably will do so at between 1,000 and 2,000 miles dependent on how much the ICE was in use during that mileage.

Again I understand and respect that most feel this would be massive overkill. Perhaps it is, but I will be doing it none the less.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I should have said the same thing but forgot. I also change the "break in oil and filter" at 4-5K miles on all our PHEV cars. Your experience is exactly the same for me. No engine issues and even with modern CAD/CAM machining, parts are parts, and must get accustomed to each other. I am familiar with Six Sigma quality, compliments of Dr. Deming to the Japanese people after WW2. Each time I have visited Japan, this principle is shown in something as simple as noodle soup, to complex machines. The Japanese take quality to the highest level with pride. No reasonable PM is overkill, just saving money on and preventing potential failures later.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My Toyota dealership said that we can get free oil changes every 5k miles til 25k miles or 2 years, whichever comes first. It is a bad oversight that Toyota doesn't offer miles driven in EV only vs. miles driven with the ICE on. My Panamera PHEV logs all that info, and you can see it at a glance at any time (ICE-on miles vs. EV-only miles, both since last gas fill-up and since the car was brand new); see attached photo for sample readings.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
189 Posts
Let’s just get this part straight from Toyota.com; https://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure/toyotacare.pdf

“ToyotaCare covers normal factory scheduled service for 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. 24-hour roadside assistance is also included for 2 years and unlimited miles.”

Under Toyota Care you get two normal scheduled oil changes at 10k and 20k. You can talk your way to getting them at different miles, but never more than 2. Make sure you get your 2nd oil change before 25k miles or they will make you pay for it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Let’s just get this part straight from Toyota.com; https://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure/toyotacare.pdf

“ToyotaCare covers normal factory scheduled service for 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. 24-hour roadside assistance is also included for 2 years and unlimited miles.”

Under Toyota Care you get two normal scheduled oil changes at 10k and 20k. You can talk your way to getting them at different miles, but never more than 2. Make sure you get your 2nd oil change before 25k miles or they will make you pay for it.
I believe you have a 30 day grace period after the 2 year ToyotaCare, at least my local dealer honored my previous car. But then again nothing surprises me from the stealerships.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
#givethanks Thank you everyone for commenting. I really appreciate everyone on this forum.
Russ

·
Registered
99 Posts
Agreed that this R4P sub-forum is a community of friendly and helpful people. Even when differing points of view are expressed, it is like being part of a group of constructive pros — with respect for others who have areas we are still learning about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts