Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am anew comer in this forum. I bought a new RAV 4 Hybrid 2016 Last month. I want to install a remote ignition starter. I already have a smart key system in the SUV. but i want that remote for winter worming. Can anybody help me where can I do it in NYC.

Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would have Toyota install the factory remote start. You'll be able to use your existing remote to start it. Only downside is that your range will be limited to what the factory remote can reach, which from what I understand isn't the best but good enough to start from inside your home to your driveway. I only suggest this because your vehicle is so new I wouldn't take a chance with a shop butchering up your wiring and running into issues with Toyota not wanting to honor your warranty due to "poor install of your remote start"

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Do you really need a remote starter? The new RAVs heat really fast as the heat is initially heated by an electric element.
Why not use through 1 winter (or part of next winter) and then decide if you really need it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do you really need a remote starter? The new RAVs heat really fast as the heat is initially heated by an electric element.
Why not use through 1 winter (or part of next winter) and then decide if you really need it?
I did. I do. Purchased 12/28/15.

And unlike our frozen friends a few miles north, our summers in Indianer, U.S. can get some sweltering days... Read that: "Air Conditioning Pre-Cool" :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to install bumper guard and bull bar both front and back. Where is the best place to go for that in NY? I need it as somebody hit my Rav 4 on the third day of delivery in the back bumper when parked roadside. Will it affect the Toyota Warranty?

Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I want to install bumper guard and bull bar both front and back. Where is the best place to go for that in NY? I need it as somebody hit my Rav 4 on the third day of delivery in the back bumper when parked roadside.
A warning on those "bull bars" on cars not designed with them in mind : Your car's bumper is designed to absorb an impact. It's actually part of the safety system of the car.

When you install a bull bar, the bumper is bypassed and no longer absorbs the damage. Now the car's frame (or whatever the bar is attached to) has to absorb the damage. So, instead of a damaged bumper, you might end up with a bent frame.

Depending on your insurance company and the laws of your state (and/or country), this might result in a car insurance claim being denied, as you've essentially disabled a safety system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in Canada, I also need one, I was told that there wasn't a Toyota version yet but got ano after market about 2 weeks after delivery. In the winters here, there are times you need to warm up... those -40 before windchill are rough on any engine, I don't care how fast it normally warms up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I disagree, if your getting a remote start its so you don't have to drive a cold car. An engine does not care if its -40 and idling or -40 and driving down the road. As long as it has oil pressure which it will or it will blow up idling or not, your good to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I Just bought a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited replacing a 2013 RAV 4 Limited. I Live in Canada as well and I assure you that a remote starter is not luxury. Wondering if there are after market remote starter options available. My 2013 RAV4 had a dealer installed Remote Starter, it had poor range (apparently they have improved to 800 meters with the START+ option) but more annoyingly, the car stops as soon as you open the door. Toyota says it's a safety feature and cannot disabled and it will behave the same on the Hybrid version. The reason why i'm looking for an after market one. While I understand safety is a priority, I have had other cars with smart keys and they don't stop when you open the door. They will stop if you engage the car in gear and the key is not in the car which is more logical in my mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts