Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone. I am new to the group.
My mother owns a 1997 Rav4 two wheel drive. I have offered to change the clutch on the vehicle as she is on a fixed pension and the dealership quoted me well over two grand. Probably more than what the vehicle is worth. Is this as big as job as they would lead me to believe(13.2 hours by a technician)? I'm hoping that a couple of us can get it done in a reasonable amount of time. I will also have to tow the car 150 miles and work on it in 20 degree weather, but that's my bad luck. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. I have downloaded a few pages from a manual and will have access to the Haynes manual as well. Also should I be ordering a new flywheel at the same time. She has been driving this car since 1998 and the last time she drove it was the only time she has smelled the clutch burning. Hopefully the flywheel is good. I would have to get it from RockAuto as I can't find a vendor locally in northern British Columbia.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It sucks in a 4wd. 2wd may not be nearly as hard as the motor and trans may be able to come out from the top with an engine lift. 4wd required the whole setup and sub frame to come out through the bottom.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Gearbox will just drop put the bottom. I'd say the dealer is quoting for a 4wd. Your mother could smell clutch. I assume it still drove? You may make the 150 miles taking it easy then.

·
Registered
609 Posts
You should be able to reuse the flywheel. But if you do get it apart and it looks bad, flywheels are like brake drums and can have a new surface cut on them. Around here many of the brake-shops and some of the auto-part stores offer this service.

I find that blocking the wind and blowing a little heat on my toolbox really help when working in the cold.
Heat everywhere is even better, but having warm tools or at least not ice cold tools is helpful for me.

Usually, since I don't do this all the time; the faster I go, the longer it takes me to complete the job.
Take your time and think.

Good luck and enjoy learning about the Rav4.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the support. We got he car through the 150 mile trip. I ended up renting a car trailer and went to pick it up yesterday. Now we are $250 into the job for fuel and trailer rental but it made it safe and sound to the unheated shop (still hovering at about 23 degrees) where two of us will attempt the job this weekend. I'm hoping the flywheel is OK. The clutch kit will be here by the weekend. Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,069 Posts
While you have the engine out, move the EGR VSV to the firewall. You'll thank me later if you have problems with it. While you have the engine out it would be a great time to take care of the timing belt and water pump. Don't forget the rear engine seal, you should replace it while you have the tranny off.

Make sure you use a torque wrench, easy to break some of the smaller bolts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts