Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to start a RAV with push button start that won't start ie a bypass/workaround/hard start? I am assuming the battery is good, and it won't start due to some sensor/electrical mystery. Jumper from positive battery to starter? I'm envisioning being back of beyond with no other vehicle and not having the luxury of diagnostics.

How about a way to bypass the neutral safety switch or disable it permanently or temporarily?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Did you have the wheels turned to one side when you stopped? The smartkey system uses a solenoid to unlock the steering column and if it's in a bind, it can't retract and won't allow the engine to start. With the key system, you have to turn the wheel to relieve pressure on the locking mechanism before you can turn the key.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I turned the wheels back and forth.. wasn't locked like a normal column might be. When I tried to jump it, the power steering warning light was on.. among others. didnt make a difference. Dreaming of a keyed ignition..........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked with an autoparts guy, and he claims you can 'had start'/hack model years 2000 and earlier roughly. New cars have too many electronic gizmos that either prevent it, or will get ruined if you try.

The only interesting thing I found was bypassing the neutral safety start switch by bridging the two wires at the plug with a smaller wire. In theory you could start your RAV in drive and have issues, but there would still be your foot on the brake if you happened to brain fart.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
First of all don't assume the battery is in good condition. Have you measured the battery voltage while attempting to start the engine? Do the headlights come on at full intensity? Do the headlights dim when you try to start the engine? Also don't get too focused on the neutral start switch being the problem

Can you place the RAV into the accessory position (does the radio come on when you push the start button) ? If that doesn't work then I suspect you have a problem with the RAV recognizing your smart key. Possibly the key is defective or the battery is dead. Try starting the RAV with your spare key.

If the radio does work, then the key is not the problem. Test that your brake lights come on when you press the brake pedal. These cars will only go into accessory mode (they will not start) if the brake pedal doesn't activate the brake light switch.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I just noticed that you have another thread posted in this same section in which you are providing additional information.

In your post at 10:57 AM in the other thread you say your RAV is now running, and yet your 1:23 PM post in this thread sounds like you are still having problems.

Posting little bits of information in different areas of RAV4World is only making the diagnosis of your problem more difficult. I am too confused now to make any additional suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts