Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well 1 month after selling my rav, i have been informed it has died. They just had it checked out and turns out the one of the connecting rod bolts had come out. Then causing it to bend up against the block and break the block :(

I wouldn't have sold it if it showed signs of being on its last leg. Compression tests and everything were all good and wasn't knocking or anything.

Also found out the shop who replaced the oil pan when i the rav 8yrs ago put a silcon sealant on it. Which apparently isn't correct.

So if any of you are replacing you oil pan anytime soon. Check the bolts on the bottom of the engine. It save your car.

Never rode it hard or nothing so im surprised by seeing this happen.

RIP rav

Specs: 233,000kms, 1997 4wd

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
Had someone worked on the engine's lower end (crankshaft and piston rods) and failed to reassemble it properly? Ordinarily piston rod bearing bolts and nuts are secured by locking-type pieces to prevent the nuts and bolts from disassembling themselves.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Had it lost its oil before throwing the rod? If it did, that was likely the cause, not a rod bolt coming loose.

Using RTV for oil pan, timing cover, water pump, and other gaskets is fairly common, and often what the factory does on certain engines in certain places.

If it were me, I wouldn't feel obligated to help the buyer, but I would likely offer to buy back the vehicle at something above the scrap rate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There might have been absolutely nothing wrong with it when you had it, it might've lasted you another 100,000 miles if you'd kept it. But there is no way of knowing whether the new owner, or his teenager started doing neutral drops in it from 9000 RPM, constantly over-reving it, doing burnouts, who knows. Beware insurance scams!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey everyone,

No one worked on that area before, only the basics. Im not sure if it leaked any oil before it went down, just this past winter i replaced valve cover, crankshaft seal, oil pump seal, camshaft seal, and new timing belt and all with a new gasket around the cover with rtv where needed on other gaskets. After replacing those, it stopped loosing any oil ( Also replaced manifold gasket and the exhaust valves were still clean with hardly any oil on the stems). The new owner is a lady, and both her and her husband said they have no hard feelings, and bought it knowing its an old car. I do feel bad a bit, but engine showed no signs of trouble before selling. Also because the body is in good shape, they said they are probably going to deal with a re-fabed motor. No rust on body despite being in ontario with our salted roads (oil sprayed).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts