Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my rav in the snow last night for the first time in ASPEN CO - wow! it is amazing!!! I don't have snow tires, just all year tires, but my goodness! 7"+ of snow on the ground and it just ran right through it all ... I went from a tercel to this, so I wasn't sure how it'd be driving a car with 4x4 & automatic, but I'm very impressed! no traction control or ABS so I can drift around corners - its a beautiful thing!

What do you all think of it in the snow??

- Bryan

PS - If you want to see the most rav's you've seen in your life - go to Aspen! I think I'm one of two people in Aspen with a base model rav ... EVERYONE has the L or S editions - LUCKY!!! GOSH!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
at least you have 4WD :wink:

4WD rocks big time from dry to wet to snow, etc. :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
Bryan remember back in June or so you asked what it was like in the snow? Now you see what I mean Huh? Told you man its the best!!!

4x4 is awesome and with great tires its even better if you can believe that. I call it the little Tank. Have fun, experiment with it in an empty parking lot to see the limitations when you push it through a corner and stuff. Rock on! later. M. :D

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The only problem we had with snow in our 2WD was ground clearance. Traction wasn't a problem whatsoever.

But when we got 2 feet of snow dumped on us that didn't get plowed for several days it just bottomed out right outside of the driveway.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i bet if you had 4WD and Latitude X-ICE winter tires, you could've plowed or shoveled your way through :wink:

i'm not kidding...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to see someone new discovering how great the Rav is in the snow, the suggestion to practice in a parking lot is a great one, the Rav can come around on you because of the short wheelbase, and I presume because of the 50/50 f/r split it will oversteer a little, though very predictably. My father in law has a crv(i know, I tried to talk him out of it)and it understeers like a front driver, again i will presume that is because the rear wheels don't do much most of the time. I have driven around him in the driveway with a foot of snow while he has been stuck on several occasions. Try some snow tires and you will be amazed

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was going to be a wise guy and say "So are you gonna put Blizzaks or Latitude X-Ice's on your RAV?" but Ad beat me to the subject. :) (You have to see the post I started on that subject to see why I couldn't resist...)

Kathy

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sibbo said:
Good to see someone new discovering how great the RAV is in the snow, the suggestion to practice in a parking lot is a great one, the RAV can come around on you because of the short wheelbase, and I presume because of the 50/50 f/r split it will oversteer a little, though very predictably. My father in law has a crv(i know, I tried to talk him out of it)and it understeers like a front driver, again i will presume that is because the rear wheels don't do much most of the time. I have driven around him in the driveway with a foot of snow while he has been stuck on several occasions. Try some snow tires and you will be amazed
the crv is 100% FWD, until a tire slips, then it sends a tiny big of power to the rears (have you looked at the rear drive shaft, axles???). it's not true 4WD. The rear axle itself is the size of a pencil turning :shock: ...look the next time you see one :wink:

"With its unique Real Timeâ„¢ 4-wheel drive system, CR-V also has all-weather performance capability. When the traction of all four wheels is needed (such as on slippery roads) the system automatically engages the wheels for maximum tire grip. Real Timeâ„¢ 4-wheel drive is a hydraulically actuated system that operates only when front-wheel slippage occurs."

if you ask me, that's a piece of crap. they claim it's a 4WD model when it's just FWD until traction becomes a problem. i have a 30 degree slope gravel driveway to my lake (roughly 250 ft.). i have zero problems going while even wet. haven't tried with snow for obvious reasons :wink: . my buddy has an 01 crv...it literally spins it's front tires the entire way up...very little power to the rears :?

the rav4 is sweet - full time 4WD 50/50 split. the performance around corners is awesome...RWD like. FWD sucks on turns :cry: . the Rav4 4WD drivetrain is really strong for this size of a SUV.

which is why, i'd like to see some supercharged/turbocharged 4WD Rav4's smoking evo's, sti's, etc. :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amen, I think the Rav could be an even better machine with a bit more juice, if it is this much fun to drive now, I can only imagine with a nice turbo

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Adrenaline05Rav4L4WD said:
i bet if you had 4WD and Latitude X-ICE winter tires, you could've plowed or shoveled your way through :wink:

i'm not kidding...
I highly doubt it the snow was up to the bumper and the entire wheel well became lodged in an immovable block of snow. The bottom of the car was resting on the snow.

But neighbors' 4runners and such were getting stuck too. Only a lifted wrangler managed to get out.

·
Registered
471 Posts
i had only i chance to try out my Rav in snow. I havent done anything special just driving into my garage when driveway was unplowed for couple days. there was about 6-7 inches of snow on it, but rav just went thru it. The only time i ever got stuck in rav was when i was offroading and i couldnt drive up a preaty steep, sand hill.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/800000-800999/800879_38_full.jpg
It took me 6 tries of going back and flooring it to get some speed before i finally got out. Back then i had everything stock. BUt even my friend that was with me was supprised that i actually got out. oh yea and btw on the last try i actually got all 4 wheel off the ground, my friend said. :lol:

·
Registered
986 Posts
The Rav has the tendency to move around a lot in the snow, mainly because it is very light with relatively large tires. It will do fine traction-wise but you have to get used to braking and steering.

If you're on the gas the Rav will oversteer, otherwise it will understeer. It's fairly predictable in that regard, so as long as you do some practice driving in a parking lot you will be fine. Take it easy in the snow, and use engine braking when going down hills because it will help prevent you from sliding sideways.

Many snow-related accidents occur because people get too confident with their SUV in the snow, especially with the big expensive SUV's that feel unstoppable. People will be going along fine in the snow because their SUV is big and heavy, and they up their speed little by little because it feels stable. Next thing you know they are going way too fast for conditions, and they don't realize this until they have to brake or make a sharp turn. That is when all hell breaks loose, because most people that drive SUV's don't know how to drive properly in bad conditions, or recover from skids, etc. and end up flipped over in a ditch. I have seen it many times and I am fairly young. The nice thing about driving the Rav in the snow is that it never lets you forget that it's the boss....

Also, be careful when you do donuts in a parking lot. They can be really fun with the Rav, but you have to make sure you have a couple inches of unplowed snow, and don't go faster than 15-20 mph. It's possible that while you are sliding sideways a tire could catch on the pavement, and since the Rav is tall, it could flip it over.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I am glad to hear the reports about handling in the snow. Frankly, I am not looking forward to that experience this year. After recently purchasing my RAV in Durham, NC (read:about zero snow), I find I just got an assignment, that may become permanent, in Illinois! It defintiely snows here. Ugh. :cry:

While in central N.C. there was no question that 4WD was over kill; here it is not. We'll see how the FWD RAV handles this S.E. Illinois weather. I kinda wish I had opted for 4WD, we'll see.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The points made about speed are all very important. When conditions get bad, cmmon sense is even better than AWD, but when driven sensibly, the rav will offer exceptioanl performance in winter, and at lower speeds crawl through some pretty deep snow.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Those of us with lots of snow experience know that the type of snow is also a factor. You can blast through very deep snow as long as it's relatively light snow, but get deep, heavy snow and at lower speeds it's not hard to end up sitting on it with your wheels spinning, AWD or not.

I got my AWD Subaru (same ground clearance as a 2001+ RAV4) stuck in that exact situation last winter. Needed some shovelling and a good push.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
bmorton said:
Those of us with lots of snow experience know that the type of snow is also a factor. You can blast through very deep snow as long as it's relatively light snow, but get deep, heavy snow and at lower speeds it's not hard to end up sitting on it with your wheels spinning, AWD or not.

I got my AWD Subaru (same ground clearance as a 2001+ RAV4) stuck in that exact situation last winter. Needed some shovelling and a good push.
Exactly, if your frame's resting on some deep dense snow you're not going anywhere no matter how many wheels are spinning.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Everybody makes great points here and probably "experience" and practice is the best message. Don't become over confident.

Lower speeds is a definite must and becareful in the empty parking lots with getting to understand the capabilities of your RAV. Tipping over is something you don't want but you can have a great deal of fun with it when you get the hang of it.

For all those with the larger size of 235/60R16 or bigger like mine, I strongly suggest that when buying a winter tire that you go with the standard size of 215/70R16. Much better for going through the white stuff.

Stay safe this winter and cut your speed for safety!!!!!

Later. M. :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its cool to see what everyone has to say about the Rav in the snow ... Parking lot practice is needed with ALL cars to know how to drive in the snow - Aspen doesn't have many of those, but they sure let the snow get deep on the roads! The control it has when driving normally for the conditions in the snow is exceptional ... and its easy to get it to slide/drift around a corner if you want it to ... and easy to get it out! Its so cool to be able to slide around a corner without pulling the e-brake!!

Don't have the $$ for snow tires so I'll have to take it a little easier than if I had the snow tires ... how much does a set usually run? Which ones are recommended for the rav? I can't wait for our fist 12" of snow to plow through! Fortunately here the snow is usually perfect, light pow - good for skiing, good for driving!

----------------------------

www.BryanNH.com

1 - 20 of 29 Posts