Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello RAV4 forum,

It's great that you guys have a forum! you have hopefully just made my job of finding the right motor a lot easier. As you guys can see from the title I am looking for a Toyota RAV and I think this is the suitable area because I'm not too sure what generation would suit me best for my circumstances. I have not long moved to Cambodia and I have found that the roads are terrible to drive on, and that is when there is a road. A lot of the time I will find myself offroad getting from A-B at some point.

Now is the time I invest in a new motor to get me around in comfort. Keeping in mind, cars are really expensive in Cambodia in general because of the import TAX so don't be surprised when I drop a few prices later on in the thread. I am looking for the generation that is simply the strongest of them all and can handle most terrains, if possible. I would prefer one that is a little older not just because of the price but because they are a lot easier to find parts for this side of the world.

And advice would be greatly appreciated, guys!! Looking forward to speaking with you all and getting myself around in comfort!

Cheers everyone

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Welcome! The RAV isn't really a serious off-road vehicle. The 1st generation RAVs are better suited to really bad roads and to off-road use than are later generation RAVs. If you need to be off-road quite a lot and over really bad terrain it probably would be better to buy a Jeep, or if affordable, a Land Cruiser or similar vehicle. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The terrain isn't so bad, not like major off roading. Just a few dirt roads and some pot holes here and there, there are some nice roads haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When buying a second-hand RAV what kind of things should I be looking out for when I go for a viewing/test drive

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I would check the engine oil and coolant for appearance - shouldn't be off-color or show signs of contamination. Also I would look unt4erneath the vehicle for rust and signs of leaks, especially from the engine and drive line components as well as the suspension. for leaks and broken parts. Also I would listen for unusual engine noises when it is running. A test drive should be on as smooth a paved road as possible, and then on a rougher one for suspension problems (clanking noses, decent suspension damping, etc.) Check tracking - the RAV should move forward straight with the steering wheel in the center position allowing for a little deviation because of road drainage crowns. Make certain that there is no smoke from the engine exhaust. And of course maintenance records should be available and current.

Most checking would be the same as for any vehicle which a potential buyer is considering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would check the engine oil and coolant for appearance - shouldn't be off-color or show signs of contamination. Also I would look unt4erneath the vehicle for rust and signs of leaks, especially from the engine and drive line components as well as the suspension. for leaks and broken parts. Also I would listen for unusual engine noises when it is running. A test drive should be on as smooth a paved road as possible, and then on a rougher one for suspension problems (clanking noses, decent suspension damping, etc.) Check tracking - the RAV should move forward straight with the steering wheel in the center position allowing for a little deviation because of road drainage crowns. Make certain that there is no smoke from the engine exhaust. And of course maintenance records should be available and current.

Most checking would be the same as for any vehicle which a potential buyer is considering.
This is great! a checklist for me to go through when I am checking out the motor and in perfect timing. In a couple of days, I have two viewings and test drives lined up, I will be back with the outcome!!

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been to test drive and look over a 2001 RAV4 today and I must admit i do like it, I will place some specs below.
https://www.easyprices.com/
- Rav4 seri 2001 new 99% - I assume and Engine rebuild being the translation wasn't amazing
-Original paint ( silver color )
- no hit
- car interior very new
-new 4 tires
Price: $13200

There are also many other specs like the papers that come with the vehicle, in England this is a standard but out here you can drive cars fully illegally with very few downsides.

This RAV seemed to of handled quite nice and as I was going through my checklist the only 1 thing I could see in a slight rust patch of about 2" on the bottom that you could possibly break through with a pen, surely easily fixed?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The Gen2 models had faulty ECU (automatic trans only) where they caused erratic shifting. This would cause the transmission to fail. I don't know if the North American models are the same as the one imported to your country. You need to research this and compare if the models in North America are similar to your country.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts