Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gear Oil Specifications

I updated the charts and the links as of 1 Nov 2020. If you find the information useful, please hit the like button.

First, I 'm not going to get in a debate concerning using one brand over another, OEM fluids vs aftermarket, or synthetic vs conventional gear oil. I just want to make people aware of what works and what doesn't in the RAV4.1 manual transmissions. Before you just grab a bottle of gear oil off the shelf because it's your favorite brand, or because the guy behind the counter recommends it, read the label. If you have a smart phone, look up the specs if your aren't sure. And, if you cannot determine what you're buying get something else.

There are 2 standard transmissions available in the US, the E250 2wd and the E250F 4wd there may be others installed overseas if you get a RAV4 with the 3S-GE engine in it, I don't know.

According to the owner's manual use the following gear oils
  • E250 (2wd) tranny you must use API GL-4 or GL-5 75W/90 gear oil
  • E250F (4wd) tranny you must use API GL-5 75W/90 gear oil only
  • Differential - Below 0 degrees F (18 degrees C) API GL-5 80W or 80W90 gear oil. Above 0 degrees F (18 degrees C) API GL-5 90 gear oil
  • *Differential ST185 - Below 0 degrees F (18 degrees C) API GL-5 80W, 80W90, or 75W90 gear oil. Above 0 degrees F (18 degrees C) API GL-5 90 gear oil.
* The ST185 is not an option for the RAV4, rather it is a mod that many have installed.

Below is a chart showing the different specifications.

SpecificationStatusDescription
GL-1ActiveThe designation API GL-1 denotes lubricants intended for manual transmissions operating under such mild conditions that straight petroleum or refined petroleum oil may be used satisfactorily. Oxidation and rust inhibitors, defoamers, and pour depressants may be added to improve the characteristics of these lubricants. Friction modifiers and extreme pressure additives shall not be used.
GL-2InactiveThe designation API GL-2 denotes lubricants intended for automotive worm-gear axles operating under such conditions of load, temperature, and sliding velocities that lubricants satisfactory for API GL-1 service will not suffice.
GL-3InactiveThe designation API GL-3 denotes lubricants intended for manual transmissions operating under moderate to severe conditions and spiral-bevel axles operating under mild to moderate conditions of speed and load. These service conditions require a lubricant having load-carrying capacities exceeding those satisfying API GL-1 service but below the requirements of lubricants satisfying API GL-4 service.
GL-4ActiveThe designation API GL-4 denotes lubricants intended for axles with spiral bevel gears operating under moderate to severe conditions of speed and load or axles with hypoid gears operating under moderate speeds and loads. These oils may be used in selected manual transmission and transaxle applications where MT-1 lubricants are unsuitable. The manufacturer's specific lubricant quality recommendations should be followed.
GL-5ActiveThe designation API GL-5 denotes lubricants intended for gears, particularly hypoid gears, in axles operating under various combinations of high-speed/shock load and low-speed/high-torque conditions.
GL-6InactiveThe designation API GL-6 denotes lubricants intended for gears designed with a very high pinion offset. Such designs typically require protection from gear scoring in excess of that provided by API GL-5 gear oils.
MT-1ActiveThe designation API MT-1 denotes lubricants intended for non-synchronized manual transmissions used in buses and heavy-duty trucks. Lubricants meeting the requirements of API MT-1 service provide protection against the combination of thermal degradation, component wear, and oil-seal deterioration, which is not provided by lubricants in current use meeting only the requirements of API GL-1, 4, or 5
Note: Many modern gear oils that meet the MT-1 specifications have additives that make them synchro friendly.

The above chart is from API Gear Oil Specifications - oilspecifications.org

Military Specifications for Gear Oil. Note that SAE J2360 is the most up to date and by far toughest standard, try to use gear oils that meet this standard.

StandardsSupersededDescription
MIL-L-2105D22 Aug 95MIL-L-2105D, MILITARY SPECIFICATION: LUBRICATING OIL, GEAR, MULTIPURPOSE (07 AUG 1987) [S/S BY MIL-PRF-2105E]., This specification covers multipurpose gear-lubricating oils.
MIL-PRF-2105E01 Nov 98MIL-PRF-2105E, PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATION: LUBRICATING OIL, GEAR, MULTIPURPOSE (22 AUG 1995) [SUPERSEDING MIL-L-2105D] [S/S BY SAE-J2360]. This performance specification covers multipurpose gear-lubricating oils
SAE J2360NoThe gear lubricants covered by this standard exceed American Petroleum Institute (API) Service Classification API GL-5 and are intended for hypoid type, automotive gear units, operating under conditions of high-speed/shock load and low-speed/high-torque. These lubricants may be appropriate for other gear applications where the position of the shafts relative to each other and the type of gear flank contact involve a large percentage of sliding contact. Such applications typically require extreme pressure (EP) additives to prevent the adhesion and subsequent tearing away of material from the loaded gear flanks.

Another tidbit of trivia, when you see MIL-PRF-2105E referenced on many API GL-5 gear oils, it is a long cancelled standard; over 22 years, replaced by SAE J2360! And, MIL-L-2105D was replaced by MIL-PRF-2105E so it has been replaced even longer! Yet you see a lot of oil companies referring to these long cancelled MIL specs and of course they fail to mention that they don't meet SAE J2360 standard that replaced them.

SAE J2360 is the gold standard that any API GL-5 gear oil you use should meet. You will be surprised how many gear oils that are supposed to be top notch and charge premium prices that don't meet the J2360 spec, this is what I mean by snake oil salesmen.

SAE J2360 the most rigorous industry-wide axle lubricant specification
One of the traditional standards for axle lubricants has been API Category GL-5. However, the increasing demands on axle components have revealed its shortcomings.

More effective vehicle aerodynamics that raise driveline operating temperatures and increased engine power are both examples of why improvements in equipment design demand SAE J2360-approved gear oil.

Today’s axle lubrication priorities include improved surface protection and reduced fatigue, high thermal durability, thermal and oxidative stability and seal compatibility. These features all lead to a reduction in maintenance, downtime and warranty claims.

Unfortunately, a lubricant conforming solely to API GL-5 may not necessarily meet these criteria. The API GL-5 standard does not require field testing or a test for oil seal compatibility, and does not address the need for thermal stability, which can lead to damage of oil seals through build-up of deposits.

SAE J2360 includes all the tests involved in API GL-5, but goes even further to incorporate several additional tests. This increased level of rigor results in a gear oil that provides maximum performance.

Requirements that go beyond GL-5 include:

ASTM D5704 (L-60-1): This ensures that the lubricant keeps shafts, gears and oil seals free from sludge and deposits.
ASTM D5662 Oil Seal Compatibility: This identifies gear oils that cause oil seals to harden, crack and deteriorate.
ASTM D7603 Storage Stability and Compatibility (SS&C): This ensures integrity during prolonged storage and compatibility with other SAE J2360-approved oils.
Unlike API GL-5, SAE J2360 approval also requires acceptable performance in controlled field tests in both light- and heavy-duty equipment. The light-duty testing ensures equipment protection for 100,000 miles of service with no oil change, while the heavy-duty test requires protection for 200,000 miles of service with no oil change.

Once all SAE J2360 tests have been completed, the data is reviewed and a visual inspection of tested parts is conducted by an independent panel of industry experts for approval. It is this combination of the additional stationary testing, field testing, verification of test data and inspection of parts that clearly separates SAE J2360-approved gear oils from the pack.
Ref: The king of gear oil specifications: SAE J2360

One other point I want to make, you will find a lot of misleading information, often dated about various lubricants on-line, make sure your references are current. These companies change their formulas when they find something that works better or cheaper, so old data is often useless data. Another point is that most store labels, buy from the lowest bidder and put their label on it. Some people incorrectly assume that means that if say Walmart is buying from Mobil1 that their store labeled product is the same. Not always true, to make the price point many manufacturers will make that price point by putting lower quality or less ingredients/parts into making those items. There are exceptions, some retailers want a superior product so they require better/modified ingredients/parts.

Now, if you saying to yourself well that's why my tranny is acting up, then do a flush. Start by draining the bad stuff out. Get the cheapest gear oil you can that meets specifications and refill with that, drive it for a couple of weeks or at least several hundred miles, getting the transmission well warmed up, to remove as much as the bad stuff as possible. Drain and refill with the appropriate quality gear oil.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Gear Oil Chart

I updated the charts and the links as of 1 Nov 2020. If you find the information useful, please hit the like button.

The Gear Oils listed should work; there are a lot of considerations and that is why I used the word should. Some things that could affect the performance is transmission wear, damage, and shifting habits to name a few.

If you are successfully using another product or want to comment on one of these, please post a reply. Please be specific and if you are recommending a product, please try to provide the same information for your recommendation as I have in this chart. To add an item to the charts the gear oil must work in synchronized transmissions or in the rear differential and must meet the following specifications:
  • E250 FWD transmission - 75W90 GL-4 or GL-5
  • E250F AWD transaxle - 75W90 GL-5
  • Differential - Below 0 degrees F (18 degrees C) API GL-5 80W or 80W90 gear oil. Above 0 degrees F (18 degrees C) API GL-5 90 gear oil
  • *Differential ST205, ST185, and ST165 - Below 0 degrees F (18 degrees C) API GL-5 80W, 80W90, or 75W90 gear oil. Above 0 degrees F (18 degrees C) API GL-5 90 gear oil.
* The ST205, ST185, and ST165 are not options for the RAV4, rather it is a mod that many have installed.

In the charts below, I'm not endorsing any of these gear oils, nor do I receive any monetary or products in exchange for listing these gear oils. However, if any of these companies want to send me some money please do, LOL.

Personally, I wouldn't use any GL-5 gear oil that didn't meet the rigorous specifications of SAE J2360 and clearly was safe for synchros. See The king of gear oil specifications: SAE J2360

E250 FWD Transmission Gear Oils
Brand/LinkViscosityGLHypoidSynchro
Friendly
Synthetic*SAE
J2360
Comments
TRiAX Syngery Gear Max75W90GL-4/5YesYesYesYes*Good specs at a very low cost
AMSOIL MTGPK-EA75W90GL-4YesYesYesNo
Millers Oils CRX NT+75W90GL-4/5YesYesYesNo**MIL-PRF-2105E (standard outdated) Expensive
Millers Oils CRX LS NT+75W90GL-4/5YesYesYesNo**MIL-PRF-2105E (standard outdated) Expensive
Motul Gear 30075W90GL-4/5YesYesYesNo***MIL-L-2105D (standard outdated)
Penrite Pro Gear (Full Syn) GL-475W90GL-4YesYesYesNoAustralia
RAVENOL VSG75W90GL-4/5YesYesYesNo***MIL-L-2105D (standard outdated)
Red Line MT-9075W90GL-4NoYesYesNo****Toyota 08885-80917
Rowe Hightec Topgear HC-LS75W90GL-4/5YesYesYesNo***MIL-L-2105D (standard outdated) - Europe
Rowe Hightec Topgear S75W90GL-4/5YesYesYesYes*Outstanding specs - Europe
Royal Purple MAX GEAR75W90GL-4/5YesYesYesNo***MIL-L-2105D (standard outdated)
Toyota 08885-80917 - Hypoid75W90GL-4Yes???I can't find any specifications. Expensive

E250F AWD/4WD Transaxle Gear Oils
Brand/LinkViscosityGLHypoidSynchro
Friendly
Synthetic*SAE
J2360
Comments
TRiAX Syngery Gear Max75W90GL-4/5YesYesYesYes*Good specs at a very low cost
AMSOIL Severe Gear75W90GL-4/5YesYesYesNo**MIL-PRF-2105E (standard outdated) Expensive
ENEOS Gear Oil LSD75W90GL-5YesYesYesNo
Millers Oils CRX NT+75W90GL-4/5YesYesYesNo**MIL-PRF-2105E (standard outdated) Expensive
Millers Oils CRX LS NT+75W90GL-4/5YesYesYesNo**MIL-PRF-2105E (standard outdated) Expensive
Motul Gear 30075W90GL-4/5YesYesYesNo***MIL-L-2105D (standard outdated)
Penrite Pro Gear (Full Syn) GL-575W90GL-5YesYesYesYesOutstanding specs - Australia
RAVENOL VSG75W90GL-4/5YesYesYesNo***MIL-L-2105D (standard outdated)
Red Line 75W90NS GL-575W90GL-5YesYesYesYesOutstanding specs
Rowe Hightec Topgear HC-LS75W90GL-4/5YesYesYesNo***MIL-L-2105D (standard outdated) - Europe
Rowe Hightec Topgear S75W90GL-4/5YesYesYesYes*Outstanding specs - Europe
Royal Purple MAX GEAR75W90GL-4/5YesYesYesNo***MIL-L-2105D (standard outdated)
Toyota 08885-02106 Hypoid75W90GL-5Yes???I can't find any specifications. Expensive

Rear Differential Gear Oils and ST205, ST185, and ST165 Differential Gear Oils
Brand/LinkViscosityGLHypoidSynthetic*SAE
J2360
Comments
TRiAX HD Premium Gear LS80W90GL-5YesYesYes*Outstanding specs at a very low cost
AMSOIL Severe Gear80W90GL-4/5YesYesNo**MIL-PRF-2105E (standard outdated) Expensive
Motul HD80W90GL-4/5YesYesNo***MIL-L-2105D (standard outdated)
Rowe Hightec Topgear HC80W90GL-4/5YesYesYes*Outstanding specs - Europe
Toyota Hypoid80W90GL-5???I can't find a Toyota Hypoid GL-5 80W90 gear oil.

* SAE J2360 - GL-5 only, The gear lubricants covered by this standard exceed American Petroleum Institute (API) Service Classification API GL-5 and are intended for hypoid type, automotive gear units, operating under conditions of high-speed/shock load and low-speed/high-torque. These lubricants may be appropriate for other gear applications where the position of the shafts relative to each other and the type of gear flank contact involve a large percentage of sliding contact. Such applications typically require extreme pressure (EP) additives to prevent the adhesion and subsequent tearing away of material from the loaded gear flanks. These lubricants are not appropriate for the lubrication of worm gears. see The king of gear oil specifications: SAE J2360
** MIL-PRF-2105E - GL-5 only, PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATION: LUBRICATING OIL, GEAR, MULTIPURPOSE (22 AUG 1995) [SUPERSEDING MIL-L-2105D] [S/S BY SAE-J2360]., This performance specification covers multipurpose gear-lubricating
*** MIL-L-2105D - GL-5 only, MILITARY SPECIFICATION: LUBRICATING OIL, GEAR, MULTIPURPOSE (07 AUG 1987) [superseded BY MIL-PRF-2105E, 22 August 1995]., This specification covers multipurpose gear-lubricating oils.
****As far as I know, this is not Toyota 08885-80917 but Redline recommends it as a suitable substitute. MT-90 is not for use in differentials with hypoid gears. The Red Line site also recommends the MT-90 for the E250F transaxle, however MT-90 is GL-4 not GL-5 as required by Toyota.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did a lot of research and talked to some MR2 fanatics about this subject and most of them said that they use Red Line 58304 75W90NS (NS = No Slip) GL-5 in their E154F transaxles which is similar to the E250F transaxle. So I put it in my RAV4 about a year ago and it's shifting like pro, it stopped my 3rd gear synchro from grinding if I didn't hit it just right. Now here's something funny about the Red Line 58304, it meets the API MT-1 standard yet it clearly states that it is for a synchronized transmission! Seems like a contradiction, but it does work. And, finally this version of Red Line has no sulfur or other highly corrosive chemicals that would harm our synchros and seals.

I also saw that MR2turbo4evr posted a thread concerning his difficulties with Red Line MT90 Gear Oil 50305, GL-4 in the E250F, here's the link. https://www.rav4world.com/forums/83-4-1-general/85-...-5spd-rav.html.

Things to consider:
  • viscosity - for our vehicle it should be 75W90
  • GL rating
-- 2wd GL-4 or GL-5
-- 4wd GL-5 only
-- MT-1?
  • Is it for a synchronized transmission?
  • Does it have sulfur or other corrosive chemicals? Note that some GL-5 gear oils are corrosive, usually it's sulfur which is corrosive to "yellow metals" like the stuff your synchros are made from so you want to avoid that. If the gear oil doesn't specifically state it's for synchronized transmissions DON'T USE IT no matter what the over-the -counter person says or you read on the internet somewhere.
  • Can you find a review where someone else has used it in a transmission similar to yours?

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe others can post here what worked or didn't work in their transmissions. Be specific about which transmission you have and post the part number for the gear oil as well as a good description, just saying Red Line 75w90 isn't enough as they have several versions of it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm actually very thankful that this subject has had so much interest recently. I am not a young man ...and after 35yrs of driving and messing around with motors I can honestly say.. I never knew about the transmission oil specs being such a mess.

I guess I have changed transmission oil maybe 5/6 times in 35 yrs... and have always just looked for the GL4 or GL5 label .... and used that. Never thinking that there was anymore to it. Damned annoying really.

Onto my current rav ..it has 200k..and arrived with me with a dodgy 1st gear synchro. I assumed it was simple old age and just double de-clutched everytime it got sticky. I changed the transmission oil..and only about 1.5L drained out! ..1L from the 'box and perhaps 0.5L from the transfer side!! Was the low oil level the reason for the worn synchro? ... ..I thought possibly. Well, I spent some money and filled it with 5L of Mag 1 75w/80 GL5 full synth ... and monitored it for 6 mths. It made little difference and if anything seemed to get worse!

..I was just about to have a rethink on my gearbox oil ..when this subject comes up...and here we are!!

reckon I wasted a lot on that 5L of full synth ... so im gonna follow the advice above and get it outa there.

I shall use the cheapest mineral GL5 I can ..and flush it..before finding some decent stuff for long term. Be interesting to see how my 1st gear synchro goes...

·
Registered
1998 Rav4, manual transmission, 2WD, JDM engine installed in 2013
1,014 Posts
gpfleming, I too am now reading carefully the threads on manual tranny oil for my 1998 2wd Rav4. I had some Wal-Mart synthetic oil in there that made shifting stiff on cold mornings. Eodgator's comments persuaded me to put in a conventional (that is, non-synthetic) gear oil for a flush, then change out the oil to what Red Line's site suggests.

Locating any 75w90 gear oil that was non-synthetic was a treasure hunt. Autozone is the only chain I found that had some: STP 75w90 GL-5, for about $6 per quart. I put this conventional oil in and my Rav4 now shifts great in extreme cold. What a difference.

After another 1000 miles with the conventional (non-synthetic) gear oil in my Rav, I will be replacing it with Red Line MT-90 75W90 GL-4 gear oil. It is synthetic. The Red Line part numbers for quart and gallon jugs are 50304 and 50305, respectively. It is what https://www.redlineoil.com/ recommends for the 1998 Rav4's manual tranny, using the site's lookup-your-vehicle's-oil feature. Your AWD transfer case requires a different oil.

I bought my Rav in August of 2018, with a first gear synchro also in bad shape. To shift to first, I have to be at, or nearly at, a complete stop. It is not something I fret over. I like my Rav4 exactly as is. :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
- Does it have sulfur or other corrosive chemicals? Note that most GL-5 gear oils are corrosive, usually it's sulfur which is corrosive to "yellow metals" like the stuff your synchros are made from so you want to avoid that.
I just thought I'd remind you about this.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, so Elle_RAV4 provided some great information concerning corrosion problems in early GL-5 gear oils and the good news is that quality gear oils have addressed the issue and have reformulated their products and now have additives to address the issue. It looks like as long as you use a quality gear oil under normal circumstances corrosion won't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Moderator, can you delete the last paragraph of my first post? I found out that many gear oils meet the MT-1 standard but have additives that allow sychros to work properly. Thank you.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Redline MT-90 is a VERY popular choice for almost every Japenese vehicle that see spirited driving, track days and race. We always maintain it in stock at the shop where I work. Some customers prefer to use Redline Shock-Proof lubricants .... or mix it with MT-90. I personnally use Redline MT90 in my transmission/t-case, and Redline Heavy Shock Proof in my rear torsen differential.

·
Registered
140 Posts
great to see a comprehensive thread on this subject growing .....

I have been trying to find a suitable cheap 'flushing' oil to replace the Mag1 full synth 75w/90 that currently resides in my awd transmission ... and it aint easy. I may have to go 80w/90 in the short term ... as cheap, non-synthetic 75w/90 gear oil just isnt available here. Since I will only be using it for a few hundred miles I dont envisage a problem.

While we're on the subject of things that aren't available here ... NONE of the recommended gear oils can be found ..which is a bit of a blow. I can find Red Line MT-90 .. but there seems to be a bit of a question mark over its suitability. Some say its popular ... others point to threads saying quite the opposite ... weird.

One gear oil that I can get hold of here is Valvoline synthetic 75w/90 as in the pics. This stuff obviously has good pedigree...and includes what they call 'limited slip additive'. I'm hoping this additive makes the Valvoline oil ... something like the Red Line 75w/90 Non-Slip stuff .... which, as I said..I just cannot get here.

Screenshot_20190112-200807_Lazada_1547295711332.jpg
Screenshot_20190112-200757_Lazada_1547295732935.jpg

the nice thing about the Valvoline oil...is that there is absolutely NO mention of MT-1 on it! ..... which seems to be a good thing...

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yes, you will be okay for a short time with a heavier gear oil.

The Red Line MT-90 is a GL-4 gear oil and is fine in the 2wd E250 transmission but not the 4WD E250F transaxle which requires a GL-5 gear oil. Numerous 2wd people praise it and 4wd folks have had trouble with it.

As for the Valvoline, I already took a look at it and no it won't work, the limited slip additives make it too slippery. If it doesn't specify that it's for a synchronized transmission then don't take a chance. The bottles often don't have enough information to be useful so you have to do Internet searches.

I found an AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W90 GL-5 distributor here https://www.amsoil.com/international/distributor/countries/philippines.aspx

Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 dealer is here Royal Purple Max Gear 75W90 Fully Synthetic Differential Gear Oil for Sale in Quezon City, National Capital Region Classified | PhilippinesListed.com

Keep us posted

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Redline MT-90 is a VERY popular choice for almost every Japenese vehicle that see spirited driving, track days and race. We always maintain it in stock at the shop where I work. Some customers prefer to use Redline Shock-Proof lubricants .... or mix it with MT-90. I personnally use Redline MT90 in my transmission/t-case, and Redline Heavy Shock Proof in my rear torsen differential.
Thanks for the information about the Red Line MT-90 GL-4 which is an excellent choice in the 2wd E250 transmission but it is nothing but trouble for many in the 4wd E250F transaxle which requires GL-5.

When I get back from hunting I will add the 2wd chart.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks for the information about the Red Line MT-90 GL-4 which is an excellent choice in the 2wd E250 transmission but it is nothing but trouble for many in the 4wd E250F transaxle which requires GL-5.

It works great in the E250F also... they are the same transmission, except gear ratio and the addition of the transfer case for the E250F. I have MT90 in my E250F.... 3 years in it now and 25,000 miles. The temperature where I live goes from -40F during winter up to 95F during summer. The transmission always shift like a new one even at 186,000 miles on the clock.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Commando, then it must be hit or miss or something to do with internal wear on the transmission because I've seen several reports of problems with the E250F and the E154F transaxles running Red Line MT-90. I've also seen several reports of issues running GL-4 gear oil in these transaxles. The problems all went away once the fluid was purged and replaced with the proper fluids.

Also as I said earlier, Red Line recommends following the manufacturer's guidance which is E250 gets 75W90 GL-4 and the E250F gets GL-5.

If it is working for you then you are indeed fortunate but I'll continue to run the Red Line 75W90NS GL-5 that meets the specs and has worked quite well in mine for over a year.

After my earlier voice discussion, I sent a message to Red Line concerning their recommendation of MT-90 in the E250F because it contradicts the Toyota recommendation. I also let them know that there is no E250F FWD transaxle as listed on their vehicle transmission drop down menu. Waiting to hear back from them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
....see what I mean about differing experiences with Red Line MT-90 ... nightmare eh! ?

As for the Valvoline .... oh well..I will keep trying. Thanks for the links to various dealers ... I shall rattle off a couple of emails and see what happens. Unfortunately .. I have been in this situation before ... its easy to find an internet link here to a product you would like to buy ... but actually getting it is another matter. The place is full of historic, long-since out of date advertisements.

I also live 12hrs by road from Manila ... which of course doesnt help.

More importantly, unlike most Western economies ..there is ZERO consumer power here .... the population by and large gets what it is given ...and distributers, dealers, stockists etc are simply not interested in putting any effort into getting a product if it is not already on the shelf. It is a bizarre retail environment ...that has taken me a few years to get used to. They will just shrug their shoulders and say "not available Sir" ... and that is the end of it.
Needless to say ... for anything remotely unusual, I need to buy from abroad and get it DHL'd to me.

They search continues....

1 - 20 of 75 Posts