Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
@eodgator what fluid do you use in your differentials?
I use Red Line 75W90NS GL-5 in the transaxle (on the E250F the transmission, gear box, and differential are integrated and share the same gear oil).

Ooops I gave you the wrong gear oil I use Red Line 57914 75W-140 Gear Oil GL-5 hypoid in the rear differential.

Both are working great.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
ExxonMobile just got back to me and they don't have a GL-5 gear oil that they recommend for a synchronized transmission siting corrosion issues.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For what it's worth I just did 5th gear in my RAV4 and decided to change the gear oil. Because of timing and finances I use Walmart non-synthetic conventional API gl-5 gear oil. Don't ever do it. Shifts like garbage. In the winter it's barely drivable before it warms up.

·
Registered
1998 Rav4, manual transmission, 2WD, JDM engine installed in 2013
1,014 Posts
For what it's worth I just did 5th gear in my RAV4 and decided to change the gear oil. Because of timing and finances I use Walmart non-synthetic conventional API gl-5 gear oil. Don't ever do it. Shifts like garbage. In the winter it's barely drivable before it warms up.
Are you sure this was non-synthetic oil from Wal-Mart? I could find only synthetic 75w-90 at Wal-Mart, gl-5. I put it in my 2wd Rav's manual transmission around September of 2018. Subsequently my Rav shifted with noticeable stiffness in cold weather until warm-up, like you described. On advice of Eodgator, I found some conventional non-synthetic 75w-90 gl-5 at Autozone, made by STP. I put this in. What an improvement the conventional non-synthetic oil was. No more stiff shifting on cold mornings. A month later I put the Red Line MT-90 in. The Red Line seems good.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Wrenchtosser and Elle_Rav4 thanks for your inputs and please add a signature block with at least your RAV4s basic information.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Wrenchtosser the Triax Synergy Gear MAX LS 75W90 GL-5 is a top rated gear oil at a great price. It actually specs out better than most of the over priced fancy pants gear oils and it's only $41.26 US for a gallon at amazon.com and it's prime so free shipping if you are a prime member. I haven't tried it yet but if you go to the last chart I made you can get the data sheet and compare it to the other gear oils and other than Red Line and Rowe Hightec Topgear S it beats all the rest. The next time I do a gear oil change I'm going to it. The J2360 gear oil standard is one that they should all strive to achieve, but one of the biggies is that it requires the gear oil to be tested in an independent lab proving that it meets the claimed standards, being that many of other gear oils aren't doing that, it may mean that their gear oil doesn't match their claims.

It's been an eye opener looking into all these gear oils and how few of them meet any standard other than GL-5 and yet they charge premium prices, just good marketing of overpriced snake oil.

https://www.amazon.com/Triax-Synerg...704&sr=8-1&keywords=Triax+Synergy+Gear+MAX+LS

I think I'll try their motor oil next oil change as well, see Triax API Licensed - Extreme Full Synthetic Engine Oil with Moly - 5W-30 Synergy SRT API SN - Friction Modified, Pre-Boosted for Viscosity Stability, Long Drain (CASE of 12 QUARTS) (amazon.com). By the way don't buy the extended life oil filters, to last longer they filter less, look at the filtration rates.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Elle_Rav4,

Update please-- how is your new MT-90 Red Line tansmission fluid working out slippage-wise, etc.? Thanks for checking in. This has been on my mind.

eodgator:
Couple days ago, saw your post that tickled my funny bone. I think I was reading from Top-10 posts (listed, right-hand side of this page). I failed to write it down, so must appeal to you to remind me: it was a string of two adjectives, "make believe words." First word was looonnngg and began w/ "un-" & made me do a double-take. Laughed when I read it again (and again). 2nd funny word was shorter. You were describing a part or a repair that was fictitious. Does that jog your memory? I'd be VERY GLAD to add your clever pair to my vocabulary! THANK YOU!

P.S. Did both of you see my post in "General" Forum about adding a photo of GEN-1 (ours) RAV4 to the banner atop this (and every) page? If you comment, much appreciated. Every time I [email protected]@K at that Banner-- I say the same thing: "Where's mine?"

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Elle_Rav4,
eodgator:
Couple days ago, saw your post that tickled my funny bone. I think I was reading from Top-10 posts (listed, right-hand side of this page). I failed to write it down, so must appeal to you to remind me: it was a string of two adjectives, "make believe words." First word was looonnngg and began w/ "un-" & made me do a double-take. Laughed when I read it again (and again). 2nd funny word was shorter. You were describing a part or a repair that was fictitious. Does that jog your memory? I'd be VERY GLAD to add your clever pair to my vocabulary! THANK YOU!
I cannot think of what it would have been (getting old) or maybe you mistook someone else's post for mine. Perhaps it was in a quote. I looked through my post list back a couple of months and didn't see anything. If I think of it, I will let you know.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I was looking back through my transmission replacement thread and I noticed some people saying they haven't replaced their gear oil in a very long time because "it still looks good and doesn't smell burnt". Looks have nothing to do with it; time, heat, water absorption, and contaminates work to break down the gear oil and the additives in it. Gear oil can as most any fluid can, become acidic and then it will begin breaking down seals, synchros, and bearings. In addition, if you run a GL-5 gear oil as required in the E250F AWD transaxle it can do some serious damage. It's your car, but cutting corners of any required fluid changes is a really bad idea.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just wanted to chime in that I ended up going the MT90 route and so far its been in interesting. I am unaware of the fluid that I had drained the case, it still looked rather decent in the sense that it wasnt very dark at all indicating that it didnt have very many miles on it. I am not sure exactly sure how a standard e250 (FWD) trans is supposed to feel since I only have about 1000 miles on it so far, but it feels alright. Assuming that my transmission is up to snuff (65k miles so imagine it is at this point) am I correct to say that these aren't necessarily the fastest shifting transmissions are they?

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes! I came across that thread and thought it was really interesting (despite not knowing which shifter was purchased off of ebay) Honestly Id be afraid to blast the syncros if this is as fast as they are normally. I was thinking. Any thoughts on adding syncronizer additive to perhaps gain some friction for a fast shft?

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I don't know which additive would help, many are worse than useless. But, if you have one in mind let us know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Just one more thought to share, you can change the gear oil in a manual transmission no matter how old the gear oil is without damaging the transmission as long as you use the proper gear oil.

By the way, automatic transmissions aren't actually damaged from a long long overdue fluid change, the damage is already there from the abuse, however the contaminants in the old fluid may cause enough friction to allow the transmission to live a little longer. Changing to new fluid removes most of those contaminates and allows the transmission to slip more. Again, it's not the new fluid it's just that replacing the fluid in an abused automatic transmission may allow it to slip more. You can try an additive made to help help slipping transmissions to counter this problem.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Per your suggestion chart, I decided to put Eneos 75w-90 in my 4wd transaxle this past week. So far so good, it definitely has helped 1st gear alot, and everything feels much smoother when shifting.

So thank you!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had the Toyota dealership change the gear oil in my 2wd 5MT Rav4 with Toyota 75w90 gear oil. Since this is a standard service, the whole job was done for $65 CAD all included with a cup of nice coffee. I figured that by the time I bought 5 liters of good, appropriate, gear oil and fill and drain plug gaskets, that I'd have spent almost as much.

The car shifts better and the transmission is quieter now. They said that the gear oil was really black and surely never been changed before. I was told by the service department that it was a GL-5 oil used.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts