Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
I updated the charts and the links as of 20 Oc1 2020, see #1 Gear Oil Specifications and #2 Gear Oil Specification Chart.

I will keep the information updated at Post #2 Gear Oil Specification Chart from this point forward. I deleted all the other out of date charts and placed links in the location back to Post#2.

Having the ability to edit old posts is great for keeping things like these charts accurate, thanks for giving us that ability in the new format.

Please give us updates on what gear oils you are using in your manual transmissions and how they perform.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I added a differential gear oil chart to Post #2 Gear Oil Chart. I will continue to add to this chart.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Here is a study done on several gear oils some of our favorites failed some of the tests. This study is not for synchronized transmissions but it still has very valuable information. Many of the gear oils listed will not work in our RAV4 transmissions.

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/brochures/g2457_gearlube_study.pdf

This study is not for synchronized transmissions but it still has very valuable information. Many of the gear oils listed will not work in our RAV4 transmissions but will do fine in the rear differential on the 4x4 models.

It looks like AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W-90 did the best overall. Note this study was accomplished in 2007, Redline has updated their product line since this study was performed, many others may have as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The copper corrosion test is somewhat applicable to synchronized transmissions. If you look who funded and published the study, the winner seems appropriate.

I wish that they had included OEM vehicle manufacturer's gear oils for comparison.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
The copper corrosion test is somewhat applicable to synchronized transmissions. If you look who funded and published the study, the winner seems appropriate.

I wish that they had included OEM vehicle manufacturer's gear oils for comparison.
Looking through the data they provided I don't see where they went all out to favor any one brand.

I wish they had included OEM gear oils as well. It's really very difficult to find any quality gear oil comparisons.

There is a lot more to the synchros than corrosion issues. Many gear oils are too slippery for the synchros to operate correctly. Some have too high a viscosity when cold and cause issues until the transaxle warms up.

I've performed a lot of research into gear oils since my run in with Mobil1 gear oil causing my E250F transaxle all sorts of issues, grinding, noise, poor shifting... That is why I put together a gear oil thread with as much information as I could find. I also requested information from the various gear oil manufactures, some responded and some did not. Toyota refused to provide any gear oil specs which turns me off to their gear oil.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Of the Toyota part numbers for 75W-90 GL-4 gear oils, (08885-80917, 08885-81023, and 08885-81026) can any of them be purchased in the USA or Canada from Toyota for those wanting an OEM option or to match the factory fill?

At the Toyota parts counter here in Canada, they cannot order those part numbers. I've been able to get other Toyota gear oils at the dealer, but not this.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Of the Toyota part numbers for 75W-90 GL-4 gear oils, (08885-80917, 08885-81023, and 08885-81026) can any of them be purchased in the USA or Canada from Toyota for those wanting an OEM option or to match the factory fill?

At the Toyota parts counter here in Canada, they cannot order those part numbers. I've been able to get other Toyota gear oils at the dealer, but not this.
Redline lists their Red Line MT-90 GL-4 75W-90 gear oil with the Toyota part number (Toyota 08885-80917). I don't know if they make the OEM Toyota Gear oil or not but, it's the only company that I know of that does this.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So my 97 5MT (front drive) now has Red Line MT-90 75W-90 GL-4 in the transaxle and it was worth the cost. Shifting is finally good and smooth. Withing a couple of kilometers, shifting had improved drastically. A 2nd to 1st shift still requires a very low speed, or a double-clutch rev match, but the 1st gear synchro at least works somewhat now. The rest of the gears now shift nicely up and down, even when cold (0°C or 32°F today). Bearing noise is almost completely gone. I can only hear a very slight difference in the sound with the clutch in or out while in neutral.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
So my 97 5MT (front drive) now has Red Line MT-90 75W-90 GL-4 in the transaxle and it was worth the cost. Shifting is finally good and smooth. Withing a couple of kilometers, shifting had improved drastically. A 2nd to 1st shift still requires a very low speed, or a double-clutch rev match, but the 1st gear synchro at least works somewhat now. The rest of the gears now shift nicely up and down, even when cold (0°C or 32°F today). Bearing noise is almost completely gone. I can only hear a very slight difference in the sound with the clutch in or out while in neutral.
I'm glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’ve been searching for an oil for my Rav’s AWD 5 spd transaxle, and I’m finding the Triax oil difficult to find. And I can only find gallon jugs on eBay. So I’d have to buy two, using only 5.3 quarts of it. It looks like Shell Spirax S6 AXRME 75W-90 might be a good one? Any thoughts? It’s available on Amazon in quarts, here.

Here’s a link to the data sheet which shows it’s SAE J2360 compliant.

Reactions: eodgator

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ive been using the Eneos mentioned here for about 5k miles and love it. 1st is still tough on cold mornings but once I drive for a minute or two its easy to get into 1st. Overall shifting is great.

·
Registered
487 Posts
kamakeraion
I like Red Line gear oils, and eodgator's generous Posts have helped greatly. Make triple-SURE you buy the correct Specification for your application. (Hint: guys at Toyota Dealership Parts Dept. told me the WRONG oil. They gave me grade for 4WD. I found the error because I triple check everything for my 2WD RAV4.)

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
I’ve been searching for an oil for my Rav’s AWD 5 spd transaxle, and I’m finding the Triax oil difficult to find. And I can only find gallon jugs on eBay. So I’d have to buy two, using only 5.3 quarts of it. It looks like Shell Spirax S6 AXRME 75W-90 might be a good one? Any thoughts? It’s available on Amazon in quarts, here.

Here’s a link to the data sheet which shows it’s SAE J2360 compliant.
While the Shell Spirax S6 AXRME 75W-90 is J2360 compliant, it doesn't specify that it is for a synchronized transmission in the data sheet or on the item description at Shell so I would avoid it for the transaxle but it would be fine for the rear differential if available in 80W90.

* If a gear oil doesn't specifically state it's for synchronized transmissions DON'T USE IT! *
No matter what the over-the-counter person says or you read on the internet somewhere.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for that eodgater! I ended up getting 6 quarts of the Redline 75W-90NS on Amazon. It was just a few dollars more than the 2 gallons of TRIAX on eBay.

Reactions: eodgator

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
If they would just come up with a gear oil standard for synchronized transaxles all would be fine. Now that manual transmissions are being rapidly phased out it will probably never happen.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts