Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, '06 Yamaha Rhino 660 UTV, '96 Newmar Mountain Aire 40' Diesel Pusher Class A Motor Home
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 · (Edited)
New to the site. Hope I’m doing this right. Just bought a used 2005 RAV4. Discount Tire talked me into putting on 225/70r16 to replace the 215/70r16. ( it was a swap with my totaled Highlander-long story) anyway.... now it makes a clunking noise when I brake going slowly. And sometimes a clunking noise at a slower steady speed. Like a rotational clunking. Could it be the tires rubbing something? It’s an automatic transmission. Thank you!
No, it's likely not the tires. The front tires would only scrape on full lock up likely only on that "bump" at the rear lower wheel well. Remove it and no more scraping, note I said scraping and not clunking. Sounds like your CV joints are on the way out, not too difficult a repair. See 1996 - 2000 Toyota Rav4 CV Axle Replacement, plus Transmission (Drive Shaft) Seal Replacement:

A recommendation for everyone is to add a signature block similar to mine with your RAV4's basic information so that when/if you ask for help those that want to help can see at a glance what you own.

·
Registered
1994, RAV4, XA10
14 Posts
New to the site. Hope I’m doing this right. Just bought a used 2005 RAV4. Discount Tire talked me into putting on 225/70r16 to replace the 215/70r16. ( it was a swap with my totaled Highlander-long story) anyway.... now it makes a clunking noise when I brake going slowly. And sometimes a clunking noise at a slower steady speed. Like a rotational clunking. Could it be the tires rubbing something? It’s an automatic transmission. Thank you!
Hi, there are no problems with 225/70r16 I have just put this size on my car.
It could be this part 48820-33010 (rav4 1994 model) if it is only from the front

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys!

Brand new to the forum, just been reading this thread and I've got a few questions. I have a 1999 3dr manual and I'm going to put the tough dog lift which is shocks, struts and front and rear springs and will lift the car 30mm or 1.18 inches. I know next to nothing about tyres or sizing so bare with me but I'm going for maximum ground clearance and maximum off-road tread. I know a lot of the info is based around either stock or the OME kit which is a 2 inch lift but what tyre size would you recommend for maximum ground clearance and off-road tread with the 30mm lift. Was looking at 235/70R16 but can I go bigger? Not interested in cutting and I've got the stock 16 wheels so just keep in mind. Cheers guys appreciate your patience with a newbie like myself!

PS. Looking at the Falken WILDPEAK AT3W if anyone has heard of them I'd love some feedback!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mini SUV Suzuki x-90

·
Registered
2005 RAV4
3 Posts
No, it's likely not the tires. The front tires would only scrape on full lock up likely only on that "bump" at the rear lower wheel well. Remove it and no more scraping, note I said scraping and not clunking. Sounds like your CV joints are on the way out, not too difficult a repair. See 1996 - 2000 Toyota Rav4 CV Axle Replacement, plus Transmission (Drive Shaft) Seal Replacement:

A recommendation for everyone is to add a signature block similar to mine with your RAV4's basic information so that when/if you ask for help those that want to help can see at a glance what you own.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2005 RAV4
3 Posts

Update- just picked her up from a Toyota Service dealer. I had found 2 lug nuts I could wiggle with my finger. Turns out NONE OF THEM WERE TIGHTENED as they should be. It could have been a disaster. Guy says I should call DT corporate ...

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, '06 Yamaha Rhino 660 UTV, '96 Newmar Mountain Aire 40' Diesel Pusher Class A Motor Home
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Update- just picked her up from a Toyota Service dealer. I had found 2 lug nuts I could wiggle with my finger. Turns out NONE OF THEM WERE TIGHTENED as they should be. It could have been a disaster. Guy says I should call DT corporate ...
That would explain the clunking noise too. Glad you found it before you had a disaster.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Hi guys!

Brand new to the forum, just been reading this thread and I've got a few questions. I have a 1999 3dr manual and I'm going to put the tough dog lift which is shocks, struts and front and rear springs and will lift the car 30mm or 1.18 inches. I know next to nothing about tyres or sizing so bare with me but I'm going for maximum ground clearance and maximum off-road tread. I know a lot of the info is based around either stock or the OME kit which is a 2 inch lift but what tyre size would you recommend for maximum ground clearance and off-road tread with the 30mm lift. Was looking at 235/70R16 but can I go bigger? Not interested in cutting and I've got the stock 16 wheels so just keep in mind. Cheers guys appreciate your patience with a newbie like myself!

PS. Looking at the Falken WILDPEAK AT3W if anyone has heard of them I'd love some feedback!

Nice looking RAV4 someone moved your steering wheel to the wrong side. LOL.

About tyre sizes, the RAV4 as I'm sure you've already noticed is somewhat under powered, bigger tyres greatly affects performance and fuel mileage, believe me I know. Off road tyres are much heavier than street tyres further hampering performance so keep that in mind and a good compromise is a decent All Terrain tyre. I don't know what tyres are available for you in the 16 inch size range in Australia. The largest I would attempt with a 30mm lift is a 29" or stretching a 29.1" tyre. You may have to remove the bump on the lower back of the front wheel wells. The rear wheel wells have a lot more clearance than the front.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looking to go ahead with new wheels and tyres soon but wanting to run this by you guys before I do as I don't want to run into any major issues.

I'm looking to go with a set of 16x7 +20 steelies and running (falken wildpeak AT3W) 235/70/16 tyres (29").

I currently have a ~30mm lift kit.

Will there have to be any modifications other than removing the bump? I am hoping that the wider offset wheels will help with any clearance issues, is this correct?

TIA

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Looking to go ahead with new wheels and tyres soon but wanting to run this by you guys before I do as I don't want to run into any major issues.

I'm looking to go with a set of 16x7 +20 steelies and running (falken wildpeak AT3W) 235/70/16 tyres (29").

I currently have a ~30mm lift kit.

Will there have to be any modifications other than removing the bump? I am hoping that the wider offset wheels will help with any clearance issues, is this correct?

TIA
I believe the stock wheels on a RAV4 are ET35 so an ET15 or 20 would help without having to do as I did and add spacers. Just be aware the changing the center of the rim can effect the suspension and add wear to the wheel bearings. So far I haven't had an issue with bearings.

You may not have to remove the bumps, try it any see.

That looks like a good tire, just heavy and the reviews look good.

It would help if you added a signature line with your RAV4's information, something like I have. When you ask for assistance we can see at a glance what you own.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe the stock wheels on a RAV4 are ET35 so an ET15 or 20 would help without having to do as I did and add spacers. Just be aware the changing the center of the rim can effect the suspension and add wear to the wheel bearings. So far I haven't had an issue with bearings.

You may not have to remove the bumps, try it any see.

That looks like a good tire, just heavy and the reviews look good.

It would help if you added a signature line with your RAV4's information, something like I have. When you ask for assistance we can see at a glance what you own.
Added a signature block :)

I'm not too concerned about a rim of that size and offset (16x7 +20) affecting the bearings or suspension too much. But I am hoping that a slightly wider offset will help prevent scrubbing issues.

So by the sounds of it. 235/70 is a fairly safe size to go with if you have lift? Just perhaps might need to modify the bump, if it interferes?

One last thing! Does the front mudflap interfere if you go bigger? I just bought an OEM front pair that I'm yet to install.

Reactions: eodgator

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Added a signature block :)

I'm not too concerned about a rim of that size and offset (16x7 +20) affecting the bearings or suspension too much. But I am hoping that a slightly wider offset will help prevent scrubbing issues.

So by the sounds of it. 235/70 is a fairly safe size to go with if you have lift? Just perhaps might need to modify the bump, if it interferes?

One last thing! Does the front mudflap interfere if you go bigger? I just bought an OEM front pair that I'm yet to install.
The 29" tire should be fine, you probably won't have to do much beyond possibly removing the bump. It is too difficult to know exactly what a lift will do for your RAV4. Tired old springs come into play, if you have a three or five door, the design of the tires can come into play, rim offset, how much weight do you haul around, all these and more are just unknowns so there is no simple answer.

I have front and rear mud flaps on my RAV4 and I haven't had any trouble with them.

To sum it up, in my opinion, the tires and rims shouldn't be a problem. Even if you do have some minor rubbing on the area at the back, inside of the front wheel wells, using an implement of destruction like a 4 lb sledge hammer will fix it.

·
Registered
3 Posts

About tyre sizes, the RAV4 as I'm sure you've already noticed is somewhat under powered, bigger tyres greatly affects performance and fuel mileage, believe me I know. Off road tyres are much heavier than street tyres further hampering performance so keep that in mind and a good compromise is a decent All Terrain tyre. I don't know what tyres are available for you in the 16 inch size range in Australia. The largest I would attempt with a 30mm lift is a 29" or stretching a 29.1" tyre. You may have to remove the bump on the lower back of the front wheel wells. The rear wheel wells have a lot more clearance than the front.

HAHA yes I should've started with Gday frome Australia! 😂 Quick update: based on your recommendation I went with some Yokohama geolandr A/T G015 in 235/70/R16. I've also ordered the complete lift kit from Tough Dog based in Queensland. Now I've come across a 20mm leveling kit on eBay which consists of 2X coil spacers and 2X strut spacers. My question is will this give the same effect as a 50mm lift? As my suspension lift is 30mm + 20mm from the spacers. Also is this safe/ any drawbacks from doing so? I realise my new tyres will last quite a while but hopefully if this is all compatible I'll be able to go to perhaps 225/75/R16 or bigger? I'm slowly coming around to the idea of cutting the bump as a few friends are much handier than I am when it comes to cars 😂

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
The bump, just unbolts.

Yes, you can add spring spacers. I added 25mm spacers to the front on my RAV4 as well as the OME kit. The OME kit left the front in a slight nose down attitude adding 25mm to the front leveled her out.
Those new springs will likely help eliminate the body roll, it did on mine. You'll like the improved handling.
The tires look like a good choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The bump, just unbolts.

Yes, you can add spring spacers. I added 25mm spacers to the front on my RAV4 as well as the OME kit. The OME kit left the front in a slight nose down attitude adding 25mm to the front leveled her out.
Those new springs will likely help eliminate the body roll, it did on mine. You'll like the improved handling.
The tires look like a good choice.
Oh well that's easy, I watched a video from a guy by the name of lab coat Paul and he made it seem much more difficult, here's the link

So I could go even bigger on the spacers? I spotted a 40mm set with springs and struts spacers, would that be too much or?

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
You don't need anymore than the 30mm if you even need that, you can go up to 40mm but if you get too high your cv-axles will suffer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So, 16x7 +20 with 235/70/16 ATs is not a great fit!
But I expected as much...

I haven't had a chance to test fit the rears...

The only clearance issues with the fronts seem to be at the rear of the wheel arches.
Is my best option here to trim back or heat and re-mould the plastic splash guard and beat the body back with a small sledgehammer?

This is with 2" lift btw.

Reactions: eodgator

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Herein lies the problem with giving people a definitive answer on tire sizes and why I provide a disclaimer on the charts.

You likely didn't replace the springs which may have sagged a bit over time. Rim offset, tire width, and design also play into the game. Sorry about your challenges.

You say you did a 2" lift but then your signature block says 30mm which is only about 1.2 inches.

I used an implement of destruction (4 lb sledge hammer) and on the inner lower fender well and beat it into submission and got 29.9" tires to work with an OME lift and a 30mm spacer on the front. I also used 25mm wheel spacers, I tried tried 50mm wheel spacers I took off of a car at a salvage yard, not to drive the car but just to see what would happen with clearance; it still rubbed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Herein lies the problem with giving people a definitive answer on tire sizes and why I provide a disclaimer on the charts.

You likely didn't replace the springs which may have sagged a bit over time. Rim offset, tire width, and design also play into the game. Sorry about your challenges.

You say you did a 2" lift but then your signature block says 30mm which is only about 1.2 inches.

I used an implement of destruction (4 lb sledge hammer) and on the inner lower fender well and beat it into submission and got 29.9" tires to work with an OME lift and a 30mm spacer on the front. I also used 25mm wheel spacers, I tried tried 50mm wheel spacers I took off of a car at a salvage yard, not to drive the car but just to see what would happen with clearance; it still rubbed.
I've changed my signature to more accurately reflect.

I'm curious what your method to shape the fender was? Did you use pipe or timber with the hammer to prevent excess damage?

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 · (Edited)
I've changed my signature to more accurately reflect.

I'm curious what your method to shape the fender was? Did you use pipe or timber with the hammer to prevent excess damage?
No, I just hammered away with just the hammer until I achieved my goal and it took several attempts till I got the clearance I needed. Now to qualify this procedure, I have no idea how much your wheel wells have to get modified to get the clearance you need for your tires. No one has described the problems you are having with that size of tire and a 1.5" or more lift so I don't know what is going on. Let me ask a few questions to try to figure this out.
1. Is the rubbing the same on both sides? Some people have found that their cars may have impacted a curb or something quite hard and knocked the subframe out of alignment.
2. How did you achieve your lift?
3. Are you sure of the lift height? If you can compare to a stock RAV4.
4. Did you replace the springs? If so were they heavier duty or lighter than the stock springs?
5. Can you take a photo of the tire size to confirm the size. I've had tire stores substitute tires on me before without telling me. Once I even had them put 2 different sized tires on the car, I noticed right away because that the car was pulling badly to one side. The store even argued with me that it wouldn't make any difference.
6. Try to get a photo of the area rubbing.
7. What is your wheel offset? Measure it to be sure.

I would like to find out why this is happening.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No, I just hammered away with just the hammer until I achieved my goal and it took several attempts till I got the clearance I needed. Now to qualify this procedure, I have no idea how much your wheel wells have to get modified to get the clearance you need for your tires. No one has described the problems you are having with that size of tire and a 1.5" or more lift so I don't know what is going on. Let me ask a few questions to try to figure this out.
1. Is the rubbing the same on both sides? Some people have found that their cars may have impacted a curb or something quite hard and knocked the subframe out of alignment.
2. How did you achieve your lift?
3. Are you sure of the lift height? If you can compare to a stock RAV4.
4. Did you replace the springs? If so were they heavier duty or lighter than the stock springs?
5. Can you take a photo of the tire size to confirm the size. I've had tire stores substitute tires on me before without telling me. Once I even had them put 2 different sized tires on the car, I noticed right away because that the car was pulling badly to one side. The store even argued with me that it wouldn't make any difference.
6. Try to get a photo of the area rubbing.
7. What is your wheel offset? Measure it to be sure.

I would like to find out why this is happening.
Hey mate, so I've got it to fit :)

Basically, I needed to trim the plastic bump out of the arch liner, the pinch welded body panels and then bash in about 2 inches of the wheel arch.

No clearance issues now!
However, there is a slight scrubbing now at partial lock and reverse. This must be due to play in the LCA bushings allowing the wheel to flex backwards when reversing. No big deal, luckily.

To answer some of your questions.
-The wheels were bnib and are definitely 16x7 +10
-The tyres are definitely 235/70/16
-The lift kit (tough dog) had brand new beefier springs and I bought new KYB struts.

I've uploaded a photo. Hopefully it works alright.

101 - 120 of 138 Posts