Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm new here, I find it hard to get information but the issue of my car. I last started it and went off for a drive to a supermarket and back. The next morning tried to start the car and couldn't start but cranking only. Battery is ok. Pleaese I need help any idea.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
Hey Alcan, please provide more information like where are you? Describe your car, manual 5-speed, automatic, original 3SFE engine, any upgrades. Actually works well to put all the info on your signature. Other things we need to know to help, what are your mechanic skills and tool availability, are you going to do the work yourself or send it out?

If you haven't seen this video take a look.

Keep us updated on your progress, or lack thereof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RAV4-1998 Cranking but not Staring NO SPARKS

Hi eodgator,

Yes I'm in PNG my car is manual 5 speed 1998 model. M currently working on it. I have checking time ok. Replace Crank sensor and Cam sensor.
Car still the same. Couldn't start but cranking only. Also NO Sparks on the leads.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
This from an earlier post by calgaryrav4 for a 99 RAV4 which is basically the same as your 98.

Here is a detailed list of procedures out of the toyota shop manual

General Troubleshooting

1. check battery
2. check engine is cranking
3. does it start? -> NO go to step 7.
7. check for fuel pressure
8. check for spark

Was there no spark?

Ignition trouble shooting

1. check all coil igniter connections
2. check resistance of high-tension cords (max resistance 25k ohms per cord)
3. check power supply to ignition coils
4.check resistance of ignition coils (secondary cold 9.7-16.7k ohms, hot 12.4-19.6k ohms)
5.Check resistance of camshaft position sensor (cold 835-1400 ohms, hot 1060-1645 ohms)
6. check resistance of crankshaft position sensor (cold 985-1600 ohms, hot 1265-1890 ohms)
7. check IGT signal from ECM

Did this help, let us know and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Has there been any recent work? If so look in that area.

One other thing it could be is a broken timing belt, it's a noninterference engine so it won't self destruct if the timing belt breaks.

1) Most likely - crankshaft position sensor - test with a multimeter
2) It is unlikely that both coils would fail at once - if one coil still worked 2 cylinders would still fire
3) Perhaps an animal chewed up some wiring - check connections
4) Maybe, and I'm really reaching, a poorly grounded engine so check your grounds for corrosion, broken, frayed, or chewed wiring. run a 4 gauge ground wire from the battery to the ground point on the hook closest to your alternator insuring you thoroughly clean the ground points. Your starter may be grounded well enough to turn over but are the heads?
5) It could be the ECM, check it out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have No spaks all spark plugs, Sparks came ones on n# 1 lead and went off again. All coil harness have power. I'm thinking its the coil plug.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
If the coils have power but won't fire, check the ECU and I keep coming back to the crankshaft position sensor. On this engine I don't think the water temp sensor will keep it from firing, some vehicles it will. Again, poor grounds will drive you crazy, you can use a jumper cable to ground the engine and try it.

Good luck figuring it out.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Did you ever get her going? What was the problem if you figured it out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having a similar no spark issue.
Recently replaced front crank seal and at the same time replaced the crank pulley, as a tooth had broken off.
New pulley was from dealer, OEM PN 13521-74040.
Also replaced VSV due to P0401.

Crank Position sensor reads 1410Ω
Cam position sensor was super loose, thought this may be the issue, reads at 1090Ω

After refitting their was no difference when attempting to start.
Engine cranks, eventually I can smell fuel and doesn't catch with starting fluid.
No spark whatsoever.
Ran just fine before doing the crank seal. Something got boogered......

Battery fully charged.

The lead from the harness to the Crank Sensor had been a little rubbed down so I reconnected the wires to the plug.

I am pulling my hair out here.... :/

·
Registered
609 Posts
When you reinstalled the timing belt, did you follow all the Toyota steps for setting the belt tension?
Sometimes when reusing the tension spring, the belt will not have the right tension so it jumps time while trying to start.
Before pulling all of your hair out, I would check the timing marks to see if the belt has jumped time.

Having a similar no spark issue.
Recently replaced front crank seal and at the same time replaced the crank pulley, as a tooth had broken off.
New pulley was from dealer, OEM PN 13521-74040.
Also replaced VSV due to P0401.

Crank Position sensor reads 1410Ω
Cam position sensor was super loose, thought this may be the issue, reads at 1090Ω

After refitting their was no difference when attempting to start.
Engine cranks, eventually I can smell fuel and doesn't catch with starting fluid.
No spark whatsoever.
Ran just fine before doing the crank seal. Something got boogered......

Battery fully charged.

The lead from the harness to the Crank Sensor had been a little rubbed down so I reconnected the wires to the plug.

I am pulling my hair out here.... :/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts