Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Recently purchased a 1999 RAV4 that came with just a regular key, no fob. Was wondering what the best way is to determine if you can connect a fob for keyless entry and also how to determine which fob to purchase. Sadly no manual in the car either. I’ve seen various forums but have not been able to find the answer. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
does it have a security light on the dash if so look behind driver kick panel for the security box and get number

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If no OE equipment was installed, aftermarket kits are available. Not super-easy to install, though, due to needing to cut into the proper wires. Search on here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does it have a security light on the dash if so look behind driver kick panel for the security box and get number
It does have a security light on the dash, looked behind the driver kick panel but didn’t seem to see a security box. May have missed it though since I’m not exactly sure what it looks like. Would this be the same location as the ECU?

·
Registered
15 Posts
If no OE equipment was installed, aftermarket kits are available. Not super-easy to install, though, due to needing to cut into the proper wires. Search on here.
actually on a '99 it wouldn't be very difficult at all. Most, if not all, the wires can be sourced in the drivers kick panel.

To the OP, you could add a keyless entry yourself for under $50. You'll get much better range using an aftermarket unit than with OEM too. Also, I could be wrong, but I think caddynut meant an aftermarket alarm. Because an OEM security module won't be behind the kick, it will be under the dash itself and won't be labeled as such.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually on a '99 it wouldn't be very difficult at all. Most, if not all, the wires can be sourced in the drivers kick panel.

To the OP, you could add a keyless entry yourself for under $50. You'll get much better range using an aftermarket unit than with OEM too. Also, I could be wrong, but I think caddynut meant an aftermarket alarm. Because an OEM security module won't be behind the kick, it will be under the dash itself and won't be labeled as such.
I did read a post on here that walks through pretty thoroughly the process of installing an aftermarket unit. I believe I have OE equipment though. Do you know where to find the ECU/ECM? Seems like I would need to have access to that during the pairing process with a replacement fob.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did read a post on here that walks through pretty thoroughly the process of installing an aftermarket unit. I believe I have OE equipment though. Do you know where to find the ECU/ECM? Seems like I would need to have access to that during the pairing process with a replacement fob.
That depends on what system is in it. If it's factory installed, then it's likely under the dash. If it's a dealer-installed "factory" system, it could literally be anywhere, but the likely places would be where the installer could get most of his connections quickly and easily. I did a quick Google search and found the link below. Although it's a "factory" system, it's really just an aftermarket unit sold by Toyota installed at the dealer. Hopefully that makes sense. Anyway, if it's the same system you have, it describes the process of adding a new fob.

I'm also posting a wiring diagram of a '99 Rav4 that shows what color each wire is, and where to find it, if you decide to go the aftermarket route. I checked on eBay, and you can get an Avital keyless for around $40 shipped.

For a basic keyless entry, you would need ground, 12v constant, 12v ignition, lock, and unlock. Parking lights and dome-light supervision would be optional.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts