Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends. Can anyone share which spark plugs you are using for your toyota rav4 1999. Should i use NGK or Denso spark plugs, both have genuine & fake sparkplugs. Please share your pictures.. i need to replace them on my rav4 99'.
Please share your knowledge. :)

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,064 Posts
NGK, who makes double, triple, and quadruple ground plugs states that the laws of physics only allows the spark to go to one ground at a time so they obviously do not fire across all grounds at the same time. The only advantage is the multi ground spark plugs are less likely to foul. The really big disadvantage is the flame core may be reduced or extinguished by the increased electrode mass. They recommend going to the single probe platinum or iridium spark plugs.

Iridium is the best of both worlds. Even though iridium itself isn't the best conductor, it's extremely hard. It'll last the longest of any spark plug tip material. Being so hard, the tip can be made to a fraction of the size of a normal one. This creates a very concentrated spark in comparison, which easily negates the lower conductivity of the metal. Iridiums are know to ignite lean mixtures that other plugs can't, which would definitely help fuel efficiency.

The only place I use multi ground spark plugs is in 2 cycle engines where load fouling is a problem.

I usually use BOSCH # 4501 Fusion Platinum Plus Iridium or NGK #3764 Iridium Spark Plugs BKR6EIX-11 depending on price.

CAUTION: Don't gap platinum or iridium plugs because the electrodes are only plated and you will likely damage the plating.

Reactions: OakTone
1 - 3 of 3 Posts