Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did I have to do some mods if I want to go in the water with my Rav4? Did I have to route some vents higher? I don't want to go very deep, just at the level of the top of the tires... DO I dosent need a snorkel

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
You are asking for it if you do that. Water will flood the car and damage the wires and any electronics near the lower level. There is no way to stop water getting inside and it will come in some how.
And if you disagree go ahead.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
It is possible if there are any seals that are leaking which allow water to enter. Some vehicles may have a breather tube that is for venting and should not be submerged in water.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your air intake is behind the driver (or passenger?) head light so as long as you create a good bow wave and don't do deeper than that it should be fine.

I've made multiple crossing with water close to my bumper without a snorkel and there is no damage to my car.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Trans and diffs are sealed. Water will not go inside.
You can go inside as long as your car is able to breathe without snorkel.
I would dip the entire wheels but not the top of the tire. Basically till the top end of the wheel. Water might come inside and you will have a smelly carpet problem unless you plan to get it dried properly. You must have good tires and you need to know what is underneath. You also need a central lock in case you start loosing traction inside the water. My first generation has a locker. Not sure if yours has it or not.

I have been inside water up til my top of wheels. Water didn't come inside. Then again my first gen ground clearance is a little more than the second generation.
I was on top of slipper rocks crossing a small river/ big stream. Central locker got me out as my vehicle dipped in some big pot holes inside the water and I was not aware of the bottom of river much.Without locker my wheels were just spinning and I wasn't going anywhere.

Reactions: Bob Le Snob
1 - 6 of 6 Posts