Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this may seem like a total noob thing to post, but I've done plenty of research. I realize the fairly common traction control issue I'm having is not just from the struts, but also the steering rack bushings, however, my struts (especially rears) are definitely in need of replacing. This brings me to the point. I want decent struts, but want to keep it under $100 per strut. I've read so many mixed reviews on struts from old threads that I'm hoping to find a newer better option. I've come up short on my searches and now I'm asking for help.

I've read that Bilstein sports are optimal, but the only Bilstens that seem to work for this car are the twin tube (atleast for the rears) and I can't find any input on their durability and/or ride quality. I want a balance between comfort and handling and I want them to last more than a year or two. I've pretty much narrowed my search to OEM (Tokico) or these Bilsteins.

Are the Bilsteins for this car a good strut? How do they compare to OEM (Tokico)?

Please help me out with this, I will appreciate it very much.

Thank you!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It would have been nice to get some kind of reply, but I figured it out and made a decision on my own, mostly due to lack of quality information. The Bilstein B4's are the only Bilsteins I could find for the 2nd gen Rav4, and I couldn't find enough info to encourage me to get them. KYB and Monroe seem hit or miss and the Tokico OEM that came on the car lasted a good while and have good performance to comfort ratio IMO.

So, I ended up buying a pair of Tokico Rear struts off eBay. For only $80 for the pair it was a very good deal. They are the same model number and matched up perfect with my stock Tokico struts. They feel great. I had no idea how much rear struts alone can effect handling and comfort. I don't even need to replace my front struts yet. The boots are torn, but they still work perfect. I'm hoping these new struts last another 10 years.

I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
The rear shocks are very easy to do. The factory shocks are very good quality.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's super easy, essentially just 2 bolts (one on top, one on bottom) and you don't even need to lift the car. Torque specs are 11ft lbs for the top bolt and 27ft lbs for the bottom bolt. I wasn't asking for help with the work, I was asking for help in choosing the best struts to use. I figured it out, it's all good

·
Registered
654 Posts
i just use munroe sensatracs as they have a lifetime warranty and the rear shocks are so easy to change

·
Registered
654 Posts
I bought Monroe complete units for the front of mine. Took about 45 minutes each side to install in my driveway. I paid $100.71 each plus like $6 each for shipping. They have new springs and upper strut mounts, which I found out were bad on my RAV after pulling the old strut off.

Here is the latest discount code for an extra 5% off at Rockauto.

RockAuto Discount Code - Page 17 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

they have quickstruts now for our ravs? well thats awesome

1 - 6 of 6 Posts