Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I need to replace my rear differential.. fast, its leaking and vibration alot on/off. I found a diff that was taken of an 2.0 VVT year 2001 close by. Will this fit my D4D 2.0 year 2002? They look alike.. Both have manual gear.

I plan to rebuild the old differential and put it on again, but i need to car to driveable until its ready.

·
Registered
482 Posts
A leaking diff is not a hard fix. And your on/off vibration is most likely a worn bushing... and/or a bad driving-shaft joint.

Reactions: R.C.H

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When i lock one rear wheel and driving-shaft up i can turn the other rear wheel a bit, 10-15 degrees maybe, so i need to take it a part and inspect it further. Will check shaft and joints when i have to take the old diff off.

The VVT Diff i found is very cheap.. with 60K km on it.. so if it fits it will buy me some time to fix the old diff. If it fits?? :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
What you describe seems normal to me.

When someone come to the garage for an on/off throttle vibration with a RAV4, it's almost always the bushing bolted on the rear diff cover that is torn. Sometimes it's the rear joint of the driving shaft that is stuck or loose.

For the diff, i can't say at 100% it will fit, because I never worked on a diesel (they were not sold in Canada). But from what I know from Toyota, there is no reason for it to be different between the gas and diesel models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got home after collecting the other differential.. it's in mint condition with only 60.000km on it.. it still has paint on the housing. Price 600dkr/80EUR, no matter if it fits or not, it a great deal :)

Will replace it with the old one this weekend..

·
Registered
482 Posts
Unbolt the rear cover and check if it's a LSD... you may be surprised! Perfect time to put in fresh oil at the same time.

Reactions: R.C.H
1 - 7 of 7 Posts