Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I lived in Europe, I decided to see if the RAV4.2 existed in the EU, in search of a potential OEM RR fog light. To my surprise the RR fog light does exist... how sweet is that??

My first observation is that the fog light is located exactly where its suppose to be on a LHD vehicle (One red RR Fog light behind driver).
Second observation is that the rear bumper assembly is built for the EU licence plates, which means that modifying the rear bumper panel bellow the spare wheel isn't very possible. Having the RR Fog above the right RR reflector isn't that great. Using the right RR reflector as a RR fog could be acceptable, as well as mounting a separate RR fog assembly on the right side of the tow bar.

Here's a link for the OEM push button for this application:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...-Camry-Optional-Light/811115_32318262518.html

I'm assuming this button would go at one of the empty slots on left of the steering wheel.

Off the back of the RR fog switch, there's 4 wires. Can anyone tell me if I need a fuse & relay, and how to wire up this switch to my rear fog light. Maybe there's already a DIY on this?

Any help would be much appreciated! :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
correction, left side of tow bar

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I'm not familiar with the term RR in the context that you are using it. As I read your post I keep saying in my mind "Right Rear" which is making it hard to understand your question. If I understood the meaning of RR in your post it would be easier to understand.

Living in Canada I have not seen many vehicles with rear fogs ( lets call them RF's). I always understood that it was simply the brake light being illuminated on the side of the vehicle closest to the center-line of the road. Is there actually an additional fixture and lens which needs to be installed?

Could you provide a link to an image of what you have in mind.

I have not seen any posts regarding this before, but depending on what you are looking for it should be a simple thing to MacGyverize.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RR for Rear. Sorry for confusion

1. Google euro Rav4.2 and you should be able to see a few of them with a rectangular red light above licence plate.
2. The rear fog is turned on at a given time when you feel you're unable to see vehicles in front of you. You turn it off when you think about how annoying it is if someone else has there's turned on in low fog.
3. No Canadian made Rav4.2 have this rear fog light.
4. I'm thinking about modifying my RAV4.2 to be equipped w this light because here in BC, the fog can be super blinding on the coquihalla hwy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rear fogs are common on European cars like Audis. My old A4 had rear fogs that turned on when you turned the front fogs on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the OEM rear fog light has a magnetic switch which turns stays off when the power source is off. The rear fog can only be switched on when the fog lights/headlamps are on. No separate relay or fuse. as for the power source, you may tap into the wiring harness that goes to the tailgate (power lock/license plate light)

cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts