Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rav4 2000 with 92,000 original miles on it. About 2 months ago, the muffler felt in the parking lot ,and I went to the muffler shop to have a new one. The same week, I put a new battery on it. Since I make those changes, I am experienced some serious issues and frustration. The car has some serious difficulty to accelerate mostly when I did not let it run for at least 25 minutes. I went to the shop for new wires, new spark plugs, and did a smoke test. I am still experienced the same problem mostly at night when it is chilly. When I am put my feet on the gas pedal to accelerate, I heard a weird noise under the car like something clogs in the exhaust line. If the car is not running, I can accelerate fully without any restriction.
Before, the only problem that I had is the car has some delay to respond when I pressed the gas pedal.
Please help!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Could be many things including that above. If mine, I'd replace the air filter (with a cheap Fram) to see if an air inlet restriction. Then loosen the gas cap to see if a venting problem. But the sound you are hearing may be a plugged up catalytic converter or another exhaust restriction.

Have you read the OBD-II codes? Could be multiple problems going on including 02 sensor, fuel filter, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you mensajero and LugNut for your replies. I'm going to check it out and I will inform you about any changes!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scanner Results

Thanks guys for your help! I just came from the store, and the I have as error code P0136 H02S-12 (bank 1 Sensor 2) Circuit Malfunction. However, I have that same code read all the time since the last 5 years. I do put the injector cleaner, and I buy a new filter as advised. The fuel filter was replaced 6 month ago by an original one. I will stop by at the muffler shop tomorrow morning because my ordeal starts one week after that I replaced my battery and the falling parts of my muffler system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Serious RPM Fluctuation

Guys, since I came back from the parts store yesterday for the scanner, the check engine light is on. Also, the rpm fluctuates a lot when I slow down or on a complete stop since I was experiencing the issue. The car is 16 years old with 92,000 original miles, and I would like to know how much a complete fix will cost me? Is it only the dealer that can fix that issue if everything that you suggest me does not work?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi! A friend of mine which is a mechanic told me that the noise in not below the car, but in the front. According to him, the problem is the throttle body that needs to be replaced. I am just surprise because I will never imagine that at 92,000 miles I will need a new throttle body. One or several sensors might be not working properly. I remember now that the car does not react proportionally when you press the gas pedal. Right now, I am looking for a new throttle body for replacement. Any advise guys will be great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts