Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd owner of 2005 A/T Rav4. Last week noticed that there was some jerking as if it suddenly brakes during acceleration. Sometimes the jerk is felt once sometimes 3 successive ones with a gap of 3 secs. This happens only in Drive mode and in slow moving traffic. When speed is at 30kph to 40kph and above no more jerks. Also twice I tried to go up a steep incline, could not bring it up. Had to move it back to gain momentum in order to get up. A couple of days later I began to smell gas inside the cabin interior. Sent to mechanic the other day and he replaced burnt spark plugs and fuel filter. Didnt solve problem and still persists. Hoping to get some help here.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi gramostds, has the check engine light turned on ? Have you tried adding a dose of fuel injector cleaner to gasoline to clean the injector nozzles, Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner cleared up a similar lack of power problem in my Rav4 when I first bought the vehicle. Several other brands of fuel system cleaners such as Chevron Techron, Gumout Regane, etc also contain PEA, polyetheramine detergents which work well to clean injectors although the Redline product has a higher concentration of PEA detergent.

For me it took about 1/2 a tank of Redline SI-1 treated gasoline and about a week of stop and go traffic to clean up injectors.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=60103

1 - 2 of 2 Posts