Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated I have a 2006 Rav4 Base model. Just bought it last month used of course. The 2 keys I got with it were destroyed. Plastic casing broken and taped together and guts missing from them. I went to Lowe's and after arguing with them got them to cut me a key which works. This would be obvious since I drove it away with basically the same thing. So now, I'm just trying to save money (and honestly think it is better as you don't put the wear and tear on the cheap plastic casing) and buy the fob for the doors. As it stands, the only door I can open with the key is the drivers side since that is the only one with a lock, and that sucks in the winter running around opening and locking doors. After trying all the places to get one that is not the dealer, they all said my car needs the whole key set up. I even called one of the Toyota parts departments and gave them my VIN#. They said I HAD to have the key done by at least a professional because it needed the immobilizer thingy to start the engine. So I explained to him half a dozen times that it is starting just fine with a plain key only. He said, that is funny because my VIN# says it needs the immobilizer. So now I can't get the part number for the remote fob "only" because it apparently does not exist for my vehicle. So, 2 questions: 1. anyone else have this same issue? (I'm guessing it would be related to year and model but wouldn't swear to that) and 2. does anyone know what part number would work for the fob only so I can order one cheaper than through the dealer or getting one with an immobilizer that mine doesn't use? I am perfectly capable of programming it with the instructions even if I did use the word "thingy" lol

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Just to make sure we have all the right information it appears your car does not have an immobilizer since you said you just got a blank key cut which started the car. Just to confirm do you see a LED light that say Security that blinks? If you don't see one to the left of the radio then you do not have an immobilizer. What you need is just buy the fob which you can do from Ebay cheap.

Here is the instructions to program the fob that does not have the immobilizer. These instruction program the wireless remote to lock and unlock the doors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. No I do not have the light and I realize I don't have an immobilizer but Toyota keeps arguing because my VIN say's I do. So my question now is which fob? There are a few that Amazon says matches my truck but they are for Ford's not Toyota. Toyota says none match. And when I went to https://www.keylessentryremotefob.com/ they have 3 different ones that say they fit but to check with them to make sure. They also say I need the key and they don't know which one since it doesn't match and they are the ones that told me to get the part number from Toyota. I'm not kidding, this is the kinda stuff that happens to me all the time lol

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Thank you. No I do not have the light and I realize I don't have an immobilizer but Toyota keeps arguing because my VIN say's I do. So my question now is which fob? There are a few that Amazon says matches my truck but they are for Ford's not Toyota. Toyota says none match. And when I went to https://www.keylessentryremotefob.com/ they have 3 different ones that say they fit but to check with them to make sure. They also say I need the key and they don't know which one since it doesn't match and they are the ones that told me to get the part number from Toyota. I'm not kidding, this is the kinda stuff that happens to me all the time lol
Just get the one from Ebay I gave the link to which gets you 2 fobs for $17. I know it gets confusing because some RAV4 models like the Limited do have the immobilizer and some don't like your Base model. There are some fobs that are for push button starts. Depending who you called from Toyota the parts guy may not know much I am not kidding. Cars are complicated and unless you have been reading stuff here on RAV4WORLD for years on a specific model then this is the right place to get information but not from the parts person.

I just looked at the https://www.keylessentryremotefob.com and I think they are too expensive. The $40 with the dot on the key is for immobilizer that uses the dot key. Then they have the shell with no guts for $13 which is useless in your situation.

So basically the only thing that you are concern about is the wireless frequency. I believe that there are around 2 that will work. These wireless ones should work: HYQ12BBY and HYQ12BDC.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,511 Posts
OK, first, in 2006, only the Limited model RAV4 had the immobilizer standard. Except in Canada, where the immobilizer is mandatory.

Second, insert your plain key into the driver's door. If you turn it once, the driver's door will unlock. Quickly turn it a second time, and all the doors will unlock. No need to run around unlocking doors.

Third, make sure you get a remote key with the FCC ID of HYQ12BBY. Search for that code on Ebay. I would get 2 of them since they are less than $12 each on the Ebay listing I just visited. You can get the keys cut anywhere.

Finally, to program the remotes to the car, you have several choices. You can get an adapter plug a laptop into the OBD port and program the keys with Techstream:

Or, you can take it to a dealer or a good locksmith shop and let them do it. There is also a procedure to program the key manually, but I don't know if it will work with a 2006. I'm attaching the file here.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
Since you recently purchased you need to be aware of this.......if you have the 2.4l four cylinder engine you MUST check the oil weekly. The engine is a known oil burner (model years 2006 through 2008). Just a heads up. They only run out of oil once then it's RIP engine.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
OK, first, in 2006, only the Limited model RAV4 had the immobilizer standard. Except in Canada, where the immobilizer is mandatory.
Second, insert your plain key into the driver's door. If you turn it once, the driver's door will unlock. Quickly turn it a second time, and all the doors will unlock. No need to run around unlocking doors.
Third, make sure you get a remote key with the FCC ID of HYQ12BBY. Search for that code on Ebay. I would get 2 of them since they are less than $12 each on the Ebay listing I just visited. You can get the keys cut anywhere.
Finally, to program the remotes to the car, you have several choices. You can get an adapter plug a laptop into the OBD port and program the keys with Techstream:
Or, you can take it to a dealer or a good locksmith shop and let them do it. There is also a procedure to program the key manually, but I don't know if it will work with a 2006. I'm attaching the file here.
JB, read that pdf.....sounds like fun!!

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
About the engine oil burning situation, Toyota offered a fix which may have been done on your RAV4. Suggest going to www.toyota.com/owners and registering, then when you enter your vehicle's VIN one can access the entire service history done by Toyota. If the TSB (techinical service bulletin) work has been done the oil burning issue should have been eliminated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just get the one from Ebay I gave the link to which gets you 2 fobs for $17. I know it gets confusing because some RAV4 models like the Limited do have the immobilizer and some don't like your Base model. There are some fobs that are for push button starts. Depending who you called from Toyota the parts guy may not know much I am not kidding. Cars are complicated and unless you have been reading stuff here on RAV4WORLD for years on a specific model then this is the right place to get information but not from the parts person.

I just looked at the https://www.keylessentryremotefob.com and I think they are too expensive. The $40 with the dot on the key is for immobilizer that uses the dot key. Then they have the shell with no guts for $13 which is useless in your situation.

So basically the only thing that you are concern about is the wireless frequency. I believe that there are around 2 that will work. These wireless ones should work: HYQ12BBY and HYQ12BDC.
Sorry I have been busy moving which is always fun any time let alone this time of year! so both those are WITH a key. and I don't use Ebay often. Will this work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KTIUG5C/?coliid=I2NSIU47IXVTK4&colid=282IIH8WZ1K6C&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks but I don't run around unlocking all the doors. The only door I can unlock with the key is the driver than I use the button in the door. Either way, it is easier to just hit the remote and open all doors and trunk when the weather is bad.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
About the engine oil burning situation, Toyota offered a fix which may have been done on your RAV4. Suggest going to www.toyota.com/owners and registering, then when you enter your vehicle's VIN one can access the entire service history done by Toyota. If the TSB (techinical service bulletin) work has been done the oil burning issue should have been eliminated.
Thank you so much for this info. Question (please note between being a techy I was married for 20 years to a lifelong Certified Mechanic so I'm pretty good at understanding answers when I ask but sometime I want to check. So I DID register like you suggested. It states (There are no open Safety Recalls or Special Service Campaigns for your vehicle.) I know that a TSB is NOT a safety recall as that is not a consumer cost but TSB is. But is the Special Service Campaign Toyotas fancy word for TSB? There have only been 2 times this vehicle was at the dealer (they took it to a local mechanic which I need to get all the printouts from...more on this in a minute) But it doesn't show any TSB's done but a list of what was done including several recalls. But it isn't bringing up any TSB's either. Do you have the number of the TSB by any chance so I can look it up and research it? If I remember correctly, Recalls need to be done by the dealership? Is that correct? What about TSB's?

Since you guys have been so helpful and knowledgeable I'm going to ask a couple more questions here unless you want me to start a new thread which is fine either way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That does not look like the right key. Try this one if you prefer not to use Ebay.
The problem with this is that it includes the key. I don't need the key. I have several. I just need the fob. In order to get anyone to cut that key they want to program the actual key and mine doesn't have programming. Plus it is obvious the shell breaks quite often. or do I have no choice but to pay more and get it with the key and not use the key?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The problem with this is that it includes the key. I don't need the key. I have several. I just need the fob. In order to get anyone to cut that key they want to program the actual key and mine doesn't have programming. Plus it is obvious the shell breaks quite often. or do I have no choice but to pay more and get it with the key and not use the key?
I hear you but there are some places that do cut the key even with the fob without programming it. I know Home Depot and Lowes won't do it. Take it to a locksmith or some hardware store. Another alternative is use the fob part and cut the key off. Sorry I can't suggest a place since I got my fob key cut at Canadian Tire which is in Canada and they did it for free since I provided the key.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,511 Posts
Thanks but I don't run around unlocking all the doors. The only door I can unlock with the key is the driver than I use the button in the door. Either way, it is easier to just hit the remote and open all doors and trunk when the weather is bad.
It's even easier just to turn the key in the lock twice to open all the doors. And your RAV4 didn't come with a separate FOB. The remote has always been integrated into the key.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's even easier just to turn the key in the lock twice to open all the doors. And your RAV4 didn't come with a separate FOB. The remote has always been integrated into the key.
Thank you. I will try to remember til my new key comes in. Yes that is easier once you get it down, but still doesn't help hands full in rain, ice and snow. I realize they didn't come with just the fob. I was just seeing if I could get just a fob but I ordered the key and will see if anyone will cut it and if not I'll just cut the key off. My issue is that for what ever reason, my VIN# states I have an immobilizer. I appreciate your help :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts