Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Rav4 2009 Sport I4 here, 143K km.

I had to replace the front right suspension arm back in April this year. Today, I'm told that I need to replace both the one that was new plus the one in the right, after noticing that my steering wheel shakes when breaking.

Is this a common issue on these vehicles? I'm getting concerned that this becomes a money pit.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you replaced the rotors and pads? My '06 shook pretty bad when I bought it used last year, so I got my rotors turned. 10k miles later, same problem returned at higher speeds, so I completely replaced the front brake rotors and pads, which cost me $200 to have put on. Problem is gone again. BUT, I have been noticing that I also get some extra noise in the front suspension with rough roads and I think its a faulty strut mount. I'm really hoping the suspension isn't causing the rotors to warp (which can be a culprit), but if I have more shuddering problems in the next year or so, replacing suspension parts is my next step...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you replaced the rotors and pads? My '06 shook pretty bad when I bought it used last year, so I got my rotors turned. 10k miles later, same problem returned at higher speeds, so I completely replaced the front brake rotors and pads, which cost me $200 to have put on. Problem is gone again. BUT, I have been noticing that I also get some extra noise in the front suspension with rough roads and I think its a faulty strut mount. I'm really hoping the suspension isn't causing the rotors to warp (which can be a culprit), but if I have more shuddering problems in the next year or so, replacing suspension parts is my next step...
No, I haven't, although they (the rotors and pads) are in pretty good shape according to the guy at the garage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmm... On slower stops, do you still feel the brakes catch and let go? That was a sure sign my rotors were warped, and I also got the "Your rotors and pads look good" from the mechanic that replaced my alternator. I'd definitely get a second opinion before shelling out all the money for new control arms.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm... On slower stops, do you still feel the brakes catch and let go? That was a sure sign my rotors were warped, and I also got the "Your rotors and pads look good" from the mechanic that replaced my alternator. I'd definitely get a second opinion before shelling out all the money for new control arms.
No, I don't. Today the guy replaced one of the arms and the shake-when-breaking thing is kinda gone. The guy says the other arm has to be replaced as well, but I'm going to follow your advise and get a second opinion.. it'd be 500$ down the tube this time around.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts