Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I guess I've having some issues with my car these days...

I live in Montreal and 85% of my driving is within the city. I'm able to get around 350-380 Km with each tank on a consistent basis -- I get above 620 Km in highway.

I've started to track my gas consumption since last week. My first measurement (100% city) has given me 14.2 l/100km (16.6 mpg) which seems very poor to me for such a relatively small vehicle. I know that one measurement is not a good indicator but still, 350 km with 60 L (full tank) is around 17 l/100 km (13.8 mpg) :frown

My tires are kept with 31-32 psi.

So the question is: are these numbers ok for city driving or am I missing something here?

Specs:
RAV4 2009 AWD, Sport, I4 with 143K km

Thanks guys!

S.

·
Registered
171 Posts
seems a bit low. but mtl traffic is horrible these days. so you re eating up fuel sitting still probably!

i am getting about 12 or 13 liters per 100km on a good week with my v6. its a heavy suv.

·
Registered
641 Posts
It depends a lot on your driving style, and whether winter gas is the distribution system. Winter gas seems to give poorer mileage, but probably a function of the longer warm-up time in cooler fall/winter temperature.

If you love jackrabbit starts from a stand still and heavy braking to scrub off speed, your mileage will suffer. In the period which I was monitored by the GPS tracker to reduce insurance premium, my fuel mileage was 'spectacular' because I drove like an old granny. Gentle takeoffs and lots of coasting up to the stop lights help the fuel economy a lot! So does not carrying any unnecessary weight in the vehicle.

I'm with Ravsterv6, I averaged 12-13 L/100Km for city driving or about 420Km with about 5L to spare in the tank. Highway, I usually get about 10.5L/100Km or 525Km.

·
Registered
865 Posts
When my wife had our 201/ 2.5 for four years, she would typically see 11.2 from the onboard monitor in the non-freezing periods. Now that I’ve got it, I’m seeing 10.6 for higher speed in-town driving (although I drive a bit more enthusiastically than my wife). Both our commutes are 8km each way at the same time of day. If traffic is heavy for our city, i could definitely see myself averaging 11.5. In The worst traffic of MTL, i could imagine >12 easily. Check your plugs, air filter, grade of oil, and whether you drive with the AC on all the time (using defrost all the time). Although your consumption is on the high side, it’s not out of line considering the km and the driving environment. Also, ours is FWD, so if you have AwD, you’re suffering another 0.5 for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Very interesting and even surprising. Those mileage figures for 4 cyl. RAVs are somewhat lower than what I generally get with my AWD V6 RAV in local driving with mostly short trips in our small town and with our home at the top of a rather steep uphill grade.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My onboard monitor says I'm averaging 10.9l/100km. I usually fill up when I get to 1/4 tank. One the 3/4's of fuel I get around 350km's. On the highway I can get almost 600 to a tank.......but I drive with a very heavy foot, and Newfoundland has a lot of hills that really take a toll on fuel economy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts