Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a RAV4 2009, Sport edition, V6. It happend a couple of times the past few months, just randomly; I am not able to reproduce it while at the shop for my mechanic. I can only say that it happened when turning, especially on hard turns. Initially the only thing I noticed is that the steering wheel became very hard to further move. It is quite frightening when it happens as I can end up in the wrong way lane on certain road. Recently I also noticed that at the same time the power is lost; radio & the board light went out for a few seconds, so this could be the cause for the steering engine going dead; After a second or two everything comes back to normal.
I am not sure what to do, my mechanic said that everything looks normal, no codes or the likes.
I checked the battery and the connectors and they look okay.
Any suggestion as where to look? Anyone had similar experiences with the same car or different?

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Agree with DL175. How old is your battery? It should be load tested and also the alternator (both can be done for free at many auto supply stores). Also make certain that the battery cable connections are free from corrosion, which can create electrical resistance and cause the problem with the power steering.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
You've got the classic symptoms of a bad battery or alternator. Follow the above two posts. A battery could be a week old and still be defective. Only way to check it is a proper load test.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts