Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all I'm new to this forum. I just bought a 2010 Rav4 Sport edition 2 weeks ago. This is my first Rav4. I'm interested in changing the seats to leather from fabric. The dealer wanted to charge me too much $$ for this. What would me my cheapest option for this? I've tried looking on ebay for leather seats but wasn't able to find one. I would also like to add the side step bar. I like keeping everything OEM on my vehicles. If someone can point me to a good reliable website where they sell these things I would greatly appreciate it.

One other thing, what size of speakers does this model of Rav4 use? I wasn't too impressed with the sound coming out of factory speakers and I don't want to change the head unit. I got the JBL six disc CD changer in it right now.

oh yeah, one more question. Where can I find OEM all weather floor mats? Are the OEMs worth it for the price or are the aftermarket ones just as good?

thanks and sorry for the long thread.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info. I was not able to find any good threads on the leather seating. As far as the speakers are concerned, what else can be done to improve the sound quality without removing the head unit? I figured changing the speakers since they're not that difficult to do. I want to try to keep the stock look as close as possible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one other question, what can I use to clean the dashboard on the rav4? I tried amoural but didn't seem to work right since the dashboard has a spongy texture to it. that's the one drawback on the Rav4 for me. Toyota should step up and improve their interior. i'm used the honda interiors.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The OEM all-weather/season mats were discontinued by Toyota following the recall fiasco of last fall. Best bet to find them is on ebay or your local craigslist. But as stated previously, the Weathertech Digiliners probably provide the best overall coverage mats, but are pricey. Weathertech also makes similar-to-OEM rubber all-season mats, I think they are the "Floorliner" series. Some have stated the WeatherTech and OEM all-season mats & cargo mat are the same. Husky also makes good mats, and I am sure there are a few other quality brands.

Regarding aftermarket leather seat covers, check out Katzkin: http://www.katzkin.com/main.html
They are rated one of the better non-OEM manuafacturers, and I have friends whom have done extremely nice interiors with their products, but I've personally never used or cost-compared them. Watch out for seemingly less-costly products as leather can come in many thicknesses, finish & quality levels. Perhaps a local interior shop can give you examples and other brands.

Radio & speakers...everyone has an opinion! Check out this topic, the guy claims you can upgrade the system w/o changing the headunit, altho many here will tell you to do that first: http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15546
I'm going to try his approach when I have some spare time.

Hope this helps,
Dan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info dan, it was very helpful. i will look into the leather seats info you provided. as far as the radio's concerned, i think i'll wait a while before i mess around with that.. the car's new and i'll just stick with what it has for now.

·
Super Moderator
11,735 Posts
carlosian said:
one other question, what can I use to clean the dashboard on the rav4? I tried amoural but didn't seem to work right since the dashboard has a spongy texture to it. that's the one drawback on the Rav4 for me. Toyota should step up and improve their interior. i'm used the honda interiors.
That has got to be one of the worst products ever made. Aerospace 303 is at the top end. They have both a cleaner and a protectant. The protectant has a small amount of cleaner in it whereas the cleaner is strictly that....a cleaner with no protection. You can also wipe that goop off of your dash with isopropyl alcohol then apply the 303 protectant. Read all about it below:

http://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RTexasF, thanks for the info. I've never heard of Aerospace 303 before. i've read some good reviews and some mixed reviews on it online. one review said it smelled bad. why is armorall so bad? i've heard other say the same but i've never had a bad experience with it. i also haven't tried other products since armorall so I wouldn't know what to compare to. i've stuck with armorall since its a big brand and has been around for so many years compared to other brands that claim to be better but have had a short lifespan.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
SixPackABS said:
Dont get the OEM mats,,, use the Weathertech Floor Liner
Double that. First item ordered once we brought the new 2010 Silver/Charcoal home last week. Got the Black. Looks killer over the Grey IMO. Had them in our 2006. Worth every penny. Also had the Lund Hood Guard ready to install.

Also find the cargo net quite useful. Had the dealer put one in for $29.99 + tax. Great for keeping things from tumbling out when you open the rear door. Also great for keeping stuff in it's pouch you don't want rolling around.

The only other two I would want came on the RAV from the factory. 1- Side Moldings, and 2- Stone Guards.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
carlosian said:
Glideslope said:
SixPackABS said:
The only other two I would want came on the RAV from the factory. 1- Side Moldings, and 2- Stone Guards.
Do you have a picture of the side molding and the stone guards? are these the add ons that are meant to prevent dings on your paint?
They are the factory Side Moulding, and Mud Flaps options that came installed from the factory(purchased a vin starting with J) : ). Check the web site. No pictures of our 2010 yet. You can see them on the web site. Usually much cheaper than having the dealer install. You can install the mud Flaps easily yourself, but the side moldings can be tricky. Honestly, I'm not sure if Toyota offers the side moldings as a dealer installed option. In 2006 they did not. I purchased a set from Toyota Canada and installed them myself in 2006. Saved countless dings.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Glideslope said:
SixPackABS said:
Dont get the OEM mats,,, use the Weathertech Floor Liner
Double that. First item ordered once we brought the new 2010 Silver/Charcoal home last week. Got the Black. Looks killer over the Grey IMO. Had them in our 2006. Worth every penny. Also had the Lund Hood Guard ready to install.

Also find the cargo net quite useful. Had the dealer put one in for $29.99 + tax. Great for keeping things from tumbling out when you open the rear door. Also great for keeping stuff in it's pouch you don't want rolling around.

After a full Michigan winter, the Weathertech mats have kept my beige floor carpeting looking new. They are awesome!

·
Registered
564 Posts
carlosian said:
Do you have a picture of the side molding and the stone guards? are these the add ons that are meant to prevent dings on your paint?
I was waiting for someone to offer a picture of a Rav4 with both mudguards & side molding installed. But since no one has provided a link, you can look at my avatar(and photo album) for the side molding...I bought my Rav used and it came with the moldings already mounted. Note that I have also seen them mounted so the rear-rounded end is face down, not face up as shown on mine. I imagine it just depends on which molding you use for which side.

If by stoneguards you mean mudguards, I have those also. These guards help keep rain/snow/etc from covering the entire side of your vehicle. I still get dirt/grime on lower 1/3 of doors, etc. I purchased new mudguards(off ebay), and installed myself. I do not have any current pix with the mudguards installed, but if you do a search here you will find many other pix which show what they look like.

I guess this only reinforces that we need to meet sometime since we both live in the western suburbs!

Elmhurst Dan

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Here are my body side moldings. These are mounted about an inch lower than recommended by the installation instructions:

/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=10128

You can also see the factory mudguards. I'd also recommend getting the lampguards from McNeil. They're about a mm thick and will protect your headlight lenses from rocks. Here's how they look uninstalled:

/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=9990

I've had a set on our other car for seven or eight years and they don't discolor and are barely noticeable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
carlosian said:
I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. Works well and smells nice too.

Also, here's my floorliners. These are great!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are there other websites that sell the WeatherTek floor mats at a lower price than the main site? Those look great but i'd like to try to put the extra $$ on getting something else. Does anyone know where can I find the OEM rearview mirror with the backup camera besides a Toyota dealer? I've tried looking online and haven't found a store that sells it.

Thanks for the info Tom, i'll give megiuar's cleaner a try.. i've used their products in that past.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,203 Posts
carlosian said:
Are there other websites that sell the WeatherTek floor mats at a lower price than the main site? Those look great but i'd like to try to put the extra $$ on getting something else. Does anyone know where can I find the OEM rearview mirror with the backup camera besides a Toyota dealer? I've tried looking online and haven't found a store that sells it.
I've looked and looked and can't find anyone who discounts WeatherTek products. You may find a seller on Amazon.com with what appears to be a lower price until you see they make up for it on shipping charges.

As for the mirror, it's made by Gentex. Here's the link:

http://www.gentex.com/wn_rear_camera.html

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.