Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I own a rav4 that I love. The only issue is that the original radio is not compatible with Bluetooth is for mw it’s an issue since I want to use my iPhone to stream music with my car radio and makes some calls…

Anyway, I know that I can change my radio with an aftermarket one, the thing is that I always love to have original radio. So I got a wonderful idea, purchasing on eBay a radio with Bluetooth that is removed from a rav4 2012. I was sure it was a solid idea up to the moment I tried to install it !!

You can see the pictures below. Some connectors simply doesn’t work. I’ve done some research on the internet and I found an adapter to fit the antenna with the new connector, so this thing is done but I still have two other issues.

The large connector (connector 1 on picture) that (according to some researches is belong to the speed volume and wheel buttons) doesn’t fit with the new radio. Do you know if I can find an adapter for that ? Or if it’s not commercialized, can I contact a specialized garage that can make both connector fit ?

I still have the same problem with the square connector (connector 2 on the picture), any idea how to fix. I have no idea what is the use of this connector but maybe the satellite radio ?

Can you give me some advice !

Thanks a lot !
Photo rav4

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
The 2012 RAV4 is an oddball because Toyota decided to totally change the head unit design to add Bluetooth and USB streaming. What you should have done is add the BluLogic to your existing head unit. Details are in my signature. BTW, the unknown blue connector is for the XM satellite radio antenna.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Blulogic only streams music to the front speakers if I recall. The op may not like the aftermarket look, but it's the best way to go.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Blulogic only streams music to the front speakers if I recall. The op may not like the aftermarket look, but it's the best way to go.
True, but trying to shoehorn that 2012 head unit made for that year and that year only will be very difficult unless you have all the proper connectors and USB port that goes with it. And I seriously doubt the steering wheel controls will work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks you all... So no easy solution ! my dream was to find an adapter that will connect the new connector to the old one but I may forgot this !!

Does anyone have any suggestion on a good aftermarket radio... Not a slow cheap one ?

thanks again !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok thanks you all... So no easy solution ! my dream was to find an adapter that will connect the new connector to the old one but I may forgot this !!

Does anyone have any suggestion on a good aftermarket radio... Not a slow cheap one ?

thanks again !
Seems like many reader-owners go to Crutchfield for info and radio units. If you are handy you can get all adapters, radio and help there as well.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I like Sonicelectronix since they also have many reviews on radios.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same boat

I see we are in the same boat. I was going to check the local radio shop and see if they had a harness plug for it. I am working on an android double din and every plug went right in EXCEPT that large plug which has the key/accessories/power so I have to manually shut the radio off until I fix it.

I do have a few ideas about how to make it work though if I cannot find a plug and play. I will make a small wiring diagram and write up if you haven't found a solution by then.

I might jump on this if I can't find something local to retrain steering wheel controls. I will have an answer this weekend either way.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
UPDATE: Sorry I talk a lot and this was kind of on the spot but I wanted to share. A write up will follow once I get the last of the wiring over the weekend and next week but this is the basic idea of what I did today on my lunch break.

I am pretty sure both videos are sideways haha sorry about that but you'll see what I did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts