Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

RAV4 2012 European edition

2K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  DenisWH 
#1 ·
Hello to everybody. First I would like to say that this a wonderful forum and I've found so many useful information for my car.

I am a proud owner of a Rav 4 (2012) with petrol engine (2.0 Valvematic) with an automatic transmission. I just have one simple question. I've tried to find what is the normal fuel consumpation of it. Mine is 11.5l. Do you think that is normal or rather high?

Also I've found that it not always the best to fuel you car with premium fuel. What octaine should I put in it?

Thank you.

#2 ·
Hello to everybody. First I would like to say that this a wonderful forum and I've found so many useful information for my car.

I am a proud owner of a Rav 4 (2012) with petrol engine (2.0 Valvematic) with an automatic transmission. I just have one simple question. I've tried to find what is the normal fuel consumpation of it. Mine is 11.5l. Do you think that is normal or rather high?

Also I've found that it not always the best to fuel you car with premium fuel. What octaine should I put in it?

Thank you.
Welcome Boris. You need to be a bit more specfic. If your book states 11.5L to 100Kms that isn't particularly great. That's the equivalent of 25 miles to the imperial gallon in the UK.
I have an Australian imported 2.4L auto and the book quotes 10.5L/100Kms which is 27 miles to the gallon and I'm actually doing better than that at around 30mpg. Mine seems to have got better with age as it's now on 64000Kms. (Australian vehicles all measure in kilometers as Europe).
Unless the book says otherwise there is no advantage to premium non-leaded. I've always run mine on standard 91 octane. :wink

#3 ·
Hello and thank you for the responce. The book states that the normal should be 9.5l to 100 km. At leat that's what it says. If you mean the manual of the car by saying the book. Mine is 69000 and overall the cars is great. The information that is displayed by the car when loaded fully and passes 50 or 100 kilometres is 11.5L to 100 kilometres. Also i am patient driver and i don't drive fast. Do you think that because it has automatic transmission the fuel is so much up? Or there should be anothre problem?

#6 ·
OK. First I would say that I need to recheck my book as I am away from home at the moment and can't remember if it states 10.5L/100Kms or 9.5L - I'll check that when I get home. You state fully loaded - that will definitely impact on the fuel consumption. This next statement may surprise you. When on the open road/highway I let the RAV loose. I find that it returns better fuel consumption (less fuel used) driving fast at speeds greater that 110Km/hr than poodling along at 80Km/hr. She just seems to perform better all round at higher speeds. I think when you build up the speed, momentum plays a big role and you can ease up on the throttle and she still keeps going.....

#5 ·
30MPG equals 9.4 lit. Which is actually quite good. So that means that maybe I have some kind of a problem with my car.The only way I can achieve 30mpg is if I am driving outiside of the city. This 11.5l is when I am driving in the city

By the way the manuals says research octane number 95 or higher.

#12 ·
30MPG equals 9.4 lit. Which is actually quite good. So that means that maybe I have some kind of a problem with my car.The only way I can achieve 30mpg is if I am driving outiside of the city. This 11.5l is when I am driving in the city

By the way the manuals says research octane number 95 or higher.
I think your figures are OK. Outside the city 30mpg. You may find on a long run and pushing the speed up a bit you could do better. Remember when you reach the higher speed always ease back on the throttle with just enough to maintain the momentum(that's why cruise control is so useful which both of my vehicles have). Remember, your brakes are the biggest enemy of fuel consumption - making turns and going around roundabouts by slowing early enough instead of using brakes all helps to get the best out of your fuel.

#9 ·
Now you're making me smile. A car like the RAV will never perform well in the city. It's not a city car. You need a car like the Aygo or smaller for that. The RAV is an open road vehicle meant for work. It won't get worked in the city and fuel consumption will suffer (and your wallet too) in that environment. My other car is a Range Rover Evoque. That also is definitely not a city vehicle in fact I'll take public transport in preference and leave the car at home LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.