Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this on ebay. not sure if people are aware of it already. It took me a few hours to install, using a hairdryer to stretch and then stitch it together. the leather already has a parallel stetch on the edge and you just need to do a cross stitch to tighten it together. No need to stitch through the leather itself. Recommend dulling the needle they provide so it's much easier.

Forgot to include link to product:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Wheel-Cover-for-Toyota-RAV4-2013-Corolla-2014-Car-Leather-Cover-/231336815441?hash=item35dcbfab51:g:gjYAAOSwBLlU7s6H

I had an issue asking for a red stitched version. complained and was given a small refund. I end up being happier with a black stitched version so as to hide some mistakes I made when installing. It's pretty hard to finish off on the opposite end of the stitching plus i made some cuts off the leather thinking it's too much. if you notice the 2nd picture to the left near the steering wheel radio controls, the thread and leather are obviously not perfect. I suggest not cutting any part of the leather and try to push the extra into the grooves between the steering wheel itself and the controls. I used the needle provided but might be easier using something flat and hard like a dull letter opener or flat head screwdriver.

here is the stitch pattern guide I used:

The pattern is basically lace/hook to every other lined/parallel stitch. But I did it one to one when closer to the edges, like when I started. then switch to the regular one every other existing lined/parallel stitch when it's not curving. Then go back to one to one lacing/hooking when closing the stitch on hard curved areas such as near the steering wheel controls and the bottom of the steering wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for this post! I just picked a similar one up from Amazon. Your installation looks much better than the photos shown in the Amazon listing...I was wondering about how to decrease waving and wrinkling and it looks like the blow dryer might just do the trick. Of course in hot and muggy south Florida, it may not even be necessary.

If anyone's looking, here's the Amazon listing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4FKH6D/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nicely done! I watched some TV shows sometimes they soak leather in water to make it soft. I wonder if that would help get rid of the little wrinkles.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts