Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive my 2015 RAV4 in a Northern Canadian Mining Town. There is no Toyota dealership here, the closest is about 500miles away. The pink coolant level in the plastic reservoir has fallen about half an inch below LOW. I could find two coolants locally, which appear to be closest to be suitable. Both are, however, green.
1. Prestone premixed 50-50 Global for use will all colors, makes and models
2. Motomaster premixed for Asian Vehicles (including Toyota)

Which one should I use to top up with? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Is Canadian Tire able to confirm which one is compatible? Usually they have the information at their parts desk if you give them the make and model of your car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is Canadian Tire able to confirm which one is compatible? Usually they have the information at their parts desk if you give them the make and model of your car.
This Canadian Tire doesn't have the expertise or the information. It's a very small store, but they say that the sales of the Prestone is very high. That's all they could say.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
FWIW, I used the Prestone premix any color/any vehicle in my 2006 V6 Rav4 for many years, never had a problem, the water pump was replaced under warranty(known issue) after several years which was the cause of the coolant loss, I used the better part of a gallon in it until the pump was replaced.

You can buy Toyota LL coolant on Amazon.ca if you want the OEM coolant.

https://www.amazon.ca/Toyota-Genuine-00272-SLLC2-Coolant-1-Gallon/dp/B004SL8568/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486849065&sr=8-1&keywords=toyota+coolant

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wouldn't mess around guessing. I'd definitely order the OEM stuff. You can end up with a real bad situation mixing in an incompatible coolant.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wouldn't mess around guessing. I'd definitely order the OEM stuff. You can end up with a real bad situation mixing in an incompatible coolant.
I agree keep it the same as what is factory fill. The original factory fill is good for something ridiculous like 10 or 12 years and 120,000 miles so if you are mixing something else those change intervals will probably change to like 5 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts