Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THANK YOU Toyota. They have finally made the installation of radio control heads a breeze with the newly designed center console in all Rav4 2017 models. No need to drill or cut, nor cup holder or louver mounts required. I suspect it was an accident, but the new configuration allows perfect viewing of control head from the pilot seat with 0 obstruction of access to the 3 power/aux jacks in the new Rav4. As a ham for 55 years I could not have designed a better console configuration for the basic single mobile radio install without any console mods or holes. Since I am a newbe to this. I will be uploading all my pictures S soon as I am allowed to... wait for it..

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
Sounds good! What type of rig did you install? And how about the antenna installation?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The radio in this case is a Kenwood TM-D710G with the Kenwood remoting hardware, however, many remotable head radios for vhf and HF will work in this same way. (If my graphics upload), you can see first, the triangular area chosen in the center console. The slant of the triangle created a perfect angle to hold the head toward the driver. In my last iteration of "harm-free" installation in a 2000 CRV, the ash tray (remember those) held the fabricated wood block that friction fit in it to hold the head mount. Ironically, the same fabricated block fits almost perfectly in the tray in question. The block of wood is aprox. 3 1/2 x 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 inches. To add some friction I added some black electrical tape. I re-did a few screw holes to cant the mount so it aimed perfectly and presto it fit like a glove in the tray. I passed the head cable under the back of the block to view less wires. The rest should be pretty straight forward. Next post I will talk about antenna placement and Power. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Using with my theme of "do no damage to the new vehicle" I have now power and antenna installation. Average Amateur Radio gear can run 50 to 100 watts of rf power, and will therefore upward of 30 amps of current from the 12v battery. Because of this, you do not want to take power from the lighter port, or leech from some wiring found on the fuse panel. It is best to go directly to the battery with discreet wiring using at least #12 guage wire. I was reluctant to compromise the warrantee, so I let the dealer do the running of the wire through the firewall and under the passenger foot mat.
The antenna is a Diamond 5/8 wave 2meter/440 mag-mount in the center of the roof. The coax runs into the rear door rubber seal, with no leaks.
Note that the chosen antenna articulates or bends over for easy garage parking, the cool part of this is that in the bent position, the operation is almost as good as when vertical. With very acceptable SWR, and range. The radiation pattern is probably very odd, but it works and I don't need to worry about an underground garage parking wiping out my antenna. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read the manual and it says do not operate a 2 way radio in the vehicle. I have a brand new 2017 RAV 4 Limited. Use my Icom on 15 watts with the 2015 RAV 4 with no problems. Wonder if it will mess with the warranty if I put one in and use it.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt there is any damage you would do to computer systems in the RAV4. However, rf intrusion into auto systems during transmit is not unheard of and can could result in unexpected vehicle functionality which might be dangerous, thereby the warning. I run 100w on HF and 60w on vhf/uhf without issues in my 2017 le. I tested carefully across bands to be sure my swr was low, so as to get most of the rf power into the antenna above the shielded body. In this way there is no stray rf to intrude into the car's computer. At hf frequencies you also want to commonly ground the radio and all car components. This may entail strapping around the chassis. Not needed for simple vhf/uhf efforts.
Good luck and let us know how your radio works in your great new RAV4.

Barry

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I run a Yaesu FT 8000R in my '15 XLE and I've never had any trouble.

I mounted a Diamond dual band antenna on the left rear quarter panel glass using their 'double-sided tape' mount.

Reactions: ranger821csps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Barry and Mickey D. I will only be using uhf/vhf 2 meters and 440. Will be using the power point to power the rig since it's only 15 watts. I don't have HF in the Rav4. I don't use more than 15 watts. Diamond antenna 7500 super gainer that will be on a mag mount to the rear of the moon roof. I had it attached to the drivers side rear door on the top on the 2015 Rav 4 and it worked ok. Pattern was really lopsided because of where it was mounted. I don't do a lot of traveling as my wife has end stage COPD. Most of my traveling is to doctors appts, grocery shopping, and so on.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'll keep you guys in my prayers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Using with my theme of "do no damage to the new vehicle" I have now power and antenna installation. Average Amateur Radio gear can run 50 to 100 watts of rf power, and will therefore upward of 30 amps of current from the 12v battery. Because of this, you do not want to take power from the lighter port, or leech from some wiring found on the fuse panel. It is best to go directly to the battery with discreet wiring using at least #12 guage wire. I was reluctant to compromise the warrantee, so I let the dealer do the running of the wire through the firewall and under the passenger foot mat.
The antenna is a Diamond 5/8 wave 2meter/440 mag-mount in the center of the roof. The coax runs into the rear door rubber seal, with no leaks.
Note that the chosen antenna articulates or bends over for easy garage parking, the cool part of this is that in the bent position, the operation is almost as good as when vertical. With very acceptable SWR, and range. The radiation pattern is probably very odd, but it works and I don't need to worry about an underground garage parking wiping out my antenna. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.
May you post some pictures as to how you run the coaxial cable from the antenna to the radio inside your car?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I ran a heavy duty 12V extension cord from one of the 12V plugs under the AC controls to the rear of the RAV to power my Yaesu 'dual bander'. I never run the rig on the HIGH power setting because it's not necessary in my area. My area has lots of tall buildings with repeater sites/antennas on them.

In the suburbs the repeater antennas are usually mounted on tall towers like the police and fire department antennas are so I still don't need high power. 10 watts is all I use and I get full quieting.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Any pics of the radio body install?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Radio instal

THANK YOU Toyota. They have finally made the installation of radio control heads a breeze with the newly designed center console in all Rav4 2017 models. No need to drill or cut, nor cup holder or louver mounts required. I suspect it was an accident, but the new configuration allows perfect viewing of control head from the pilot seat with 0 obstruction of access to the 3 power/aux jacks in the new Rav4. As a ham for 55 years I could not have designed a better console configuration for the basic single mobile radio install without any console mods or holes. Since I am a newbe to this. I will be uploading all my pictures S soon as I am allowed to... wait for it..

I've finished my installation of a FT7900 in my 2018 RAV4 but since I don't have enough posts I cannot put any pics in a message. Some day I'll show where to find the unswitched high current cable in the cabin on the driver side fuse box.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
Today's Mother Goose and Grimm:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Still not able to post pics. but hope to once I get XX posts and move on from a Junior member. The RAV4 FT-7900 installation is complete and no issues in 6 months so I guess I did OK.

Rusty, WA8ZID

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hopefully this will take my pics on the Ham Radio installation (FT-7900) now that I have 5 previous posts. We'll see...

Rusty

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Couple of notes... I spliced the power behind the left side dash, next to the steering column. There is a removable panel with a couple of switches on it to gain access. I used a Burndy split coupling (KS17RK) which handles #14 to #6 size wire. (I found the Burndy at a Ace Hardware but I expect you can find something similar at Lowes or Home Depot) I'm sure the wire in the RAV4 is metric sized but is near the #6 size and fits this coupler.

I move the in-line fuse holder in the pics near the tap to protect that wiring. The fuse holder is behind the dash panel now.

I have a magnetic antenna holder for long trips but the hatch mount shown works fine for in town. It is a little directional, especially on 440 MHz but I cover all the NW Phoenix repeaters from my home in Surprise AZ.

Rusty, WA8ZID

1 - 20 of 21 Posts