Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i recently purchased a rav4 2017 xle hybrid model. i tried installing h11 hid kensun fogs i had on my camry 2013 and it blew up the fuse. im currently rocking hikari led on my headlights, they look really good. im afraid though of using the same ones but h11 on my fogs. any recommendations? also i was thinking about replacing the turning lights to leds as well. like switchbacks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hids I can understand popping your fuse as they draw significantly more power than led. You can run HID with no problems just be sure to use a relay.

IMO LED is the way to go. Plug and play compared to HID relay wiring. They look great and are fairly priced. I have led in both headlight and fog light and absolutely love them. Took very little time to install if you have smaller arms to reach up.

As far as the turn signals that can get a touch more complex. I have not tried it as I am afraid to get hyper flash. Kinda of like how if your turn signal burns out it flashes super fast to notify you to replace, leds draw so little current that the computer system may mistake them for burnt out bulbs and do the hyper flash. You can fix this with resistors or other boxes specifically made to stop it but be sure to do your research first as you can easily burn your car down by using the incorrect resistors or installing them wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey guys i recently purchased a rav4 2017 xle hybrid model. i tried installing h11 hid kensun fogs i had on my camry 2013 and it blew up the fuse. im currently rocking hikari led on my headlights, they look really good. im afraid though of using the same ones but h11 on my fogs. any recommendations? also i was thinking about replacing the turning lights to leds as well. like switchbacks.
Hi, do you have any link for your LED headlights, we have the same car and I'm thinking of getting a brighter LED headlight too since the stock is really too dim. Also, is it direct plug and play, or do you have to install that little box?

Thanks

·
Registered
422 Posts
As promised. Disclaimer: This is probably considered offroad only in USA and we have different legal rules here. My aux beams are legal here but the foggers are pointing straight and is activated by the stock fog lever so they are 100% not legal. Never use anything more than lo-beam when other vehicles are insight, exception if you are an advanced sriver and know the protocol which is go to lo-beam when you are bothered by the incoming vehicles aux/high beam.

My 2x/double Rigid Industries SR2 with the combo pattern is basically to much when cornering and there are road signs (glare back), sometimes i go full then, lo-beam and Baja (foggers) and then lo-beam when I meet a truck or something at 2000ft otherwise it gets pitch black with only the lo-beam until the truck passes me.

Lo-beam LED stock Toyota with the binary cutoff that bothers some people.

Baja Designs Squadron Pro Combo 9/42 deg angle (2x42 Watts)

2x Rigid Industries SR2 Combo (2x 105 Watts)

Stock Hi-beam (exceptionally small difference between lo-beam imo)

Pictures are as-is, I suck at taking photos, use photoshop if you want to see the light pattern by editing the light intensity, I have only my cellphone during vacation)

Pics;
1 DRL/moonlight only

2 Baja only

3 Lo-beam LED

6 Baja Only

7 Baja Only

9 Lo 2x Rigid + Hi, NO Baja

10 Lo 2x Rigid + HI, NO Baja

11 Baja Only

12 All

13 Baja Only

14 Baja Only

15 Baja Only Zoomed 600-700ft at road sign

17 Lo-Beam

18 All

19 Baja Only

20 All Except Baja

21 Baja Only

22 Baja Only

23 ALL

24 Lo-Beam

25 Baja Only

26 Baja+Lo Beam (no extra 2x Rigid)

27 All

28 Reference picture

Merry XMAS

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you for taking time to take and post the pictures, and belated Merry Christmas / Happy New Year!. You weren't kidding about everything on at once being too much. I think I'm going to save up for the Baja designs DOT compliant fog lights instead of the Rough Country off-road only pods. the "off-road" lights are a little too bright for use in the snow, which what I'm intending to use the additional lights for.

How was the install of the Baja lights you have? Those look like the same ones used on 4runners and such, but they look almost stock on your Rav.

JT

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thank you for taking time to take and post the pictures, and belated Merry Christmas / Happy New Year!. You weren't kidding about everything on at once being too much. I think I'm going to save up for the Baja designs DOT compliant fog lights instead of the Rough Country off-road only pods. the "off-road" lights are a little too bright for use in the snow, which what I'm intending to use the additional lights for.

How was the install of the Baja lights you have? Those look like the same ones used on 4runners and such, but they look almost stock on your Rav.

JT

I looked at those 4 runner kits and even a Youtube movie where someone mounted Bajas in a Tacoma Truck. Then I looked at stock pictures for upgrading from no fogs to fogs. Using some geometry tricks I found out that the SKU 447110 would work provided I would drill one more hole on the opposite side, I took my chances and ordered the kit then some weeks later they arrived and I drilled the holes at work. This was not super easy because I'm not a craftsman and it was high quality material but it turned out just perfect.

I dropped this email to their tech support in case where interested.

Note: the bezels are round not all the Squadron lights are round so be aware of that.

Good luck if you order them, I can try to assist you if you get them about the disassembly etc. And happy new year.

"Just want to inform you that this kit bolt-on with Toyota RAV4 2015+ aswell provided one drills a hole in the two of the mounting brackets provided in the kit."Toyota, Tacoma(12-17)/4Runner(10-17)/Tundra(14-17) FPK SKU 447110"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts