Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought two weeks back and the battery drained out for no reason; all lights were off. Does anyone have a similar experience?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Check your battery voltage at night when done driving for the day and then in the morning to see if your battery is draining. That will give the Dealer some information to work with. Maybe just a bad battery

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Yup, lots of problems with dead batteries on '20s, both gas and HV. ?

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Use advanced search in the 3 dot menu top right to find some of the discussions on dead batteries in the 5th gen.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 2020 Limited did this about a month ago.
In my garage, overnight, battery dead in the morning.
Jumped it and all has been well since then.
Still, I am a bit concerned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My young girls were playing around in the hatch and turned the light on (on right side). With the cover closed, you'd never know. Just took a day to completely kill car. Ahh, kids...

·
Registered
27 Posts
My young girls were playing around in the hatch and turned the light on (on right side). With the cover closed, you'd never know. Just took a day to completely kill car. Ahh, kids...
My switch is always turned on, it turns off automatically when I close the hatch...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Here's the main thread on the issue. It's being researched by Toyota but if anyone has the problem, contact your dealer and complain. Probable cause according to several posters is that car constantly attempting to connect to Toyota Satellite system all the time in order to call home, even if car is turned off, thus draining the battery. Don't know if there's a fix yet. Only happens on 2020's so far. Some people have resorted to installing a higher capacity battery, but that's probably only a temp fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bought two weeks back and the battery drained out for no reason; all lights were off. Does anyone have a similar experience?
My 2020 RAV XLE died twice for no reason. Once was about a month after purchasing it. The second time was about a month and a half later. The service department keeps telling me that I am leaving something on. I also spoke to a Toyota agent. They got back with 48 hours later and basically told me the same thing. I bought a battery jumper, but I don't feel I should have to do that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, just thought I would share my experiences in this area with my gas 2020 XLE.

Since I got this Rav in November, there has been a soft buzzing sound (sometimes clicking) coming from the very back of the vehicle when the engine was turned off. This buzzing would occur for all the time the vehicle was off. While none of my previous Ravs made this sound, and neither did my wife's Rav4 (also a 2020 XLE), I did not concern my self too much with it, as it did not seem to affect vehicle function. I decided to wait until my first service visit to get Toyota to look into it.

The vehicle worked fine until the Saturday it was scheduled to go in for its six month maintenance. On that morning, when I went to drive it in, the vehicle failed to start (the engine not turning over, dash lights flashing), which seemed to indicate a dead battery. I contacted Toyota to tell them I would be late for my appointment, and had roadside assistance pay me a visit to boost the vehicle. Once it was boosted, the vehicle ran fine, and I was able to drive it to Toyota for the six month servicing and to check out the reason for the drained battery. They contacted me later that day to say that the battery was run down and they were charging it up. They had no answers for why this had occurred, but I mentioned the buzzing or clicking sounds it made while off, and they said they would have to have a technician hook it up to computer to diagnose it, but being the weekend when the techs were not working, I would have to schedule another visit during the week.

I took the vehicle home that day (Saturday) and it worked fine as usually, still buzzing when off. The next Monday I booked an appointment (which I had to wait two weeks for) to get the buzzing looked at. The vehicle worked fine for those two weeks.

When I took the Rav in for Toyota to look at the second time, they had it for they day, and then informed me that they could not here any buzzing or clicking and said it was probably the exhaust cooling that I was hearing (having driven vehicles for nearly 40 years, and worked on many during that time, I took offense). When I went to pick up my vehicle, it was outside next to the building. I went around to the back of the vehicle and could still hear the buzzing, although it was hard to hear unless you put your ear close to the back end, as the building's A/C system was making a loud racket. I went in to the service department, got one of the service reps to come out and put his ear to the back to hear the sound. He heard it and bough out a tech to listen as well. They agreed to further investigate and I left the vehicle overnight to examine the issue. The next day after looking into the source of the buzzing, they eventually concluded that it was a faulty ECU that was causing a relay or servo to run on after engine shutoff. Luckily they had one in stock and replaced the defective unit and the buzzing disappeared.

It was a hassle to get them to finally take the buzzing seriously and look into and resolve the issue, but now at least there is no buzzing from the back of the car, and hopefully there will be no more draining of the battery. I apologize for the long winded description, but I thought the details of my issue might help others determine a possible explanation for a drained battery, when nothing else seems to be at fault.

TLDR: Faulty ECU caused relay or servo to run on after vehicle shutoff, eventually draining the battery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, just thought I would share my experiences in this area with my gas 2020 XLE.

Since I got this Rav in November, there has been a soft buzzing sound (sometimes clicking) coming from the very back of the vehicle when the engine was turned off. This buzzing would occur for all the time the vehicle was off. While none of my previous Ravs made this sound, and neither did my wife's Rav4 (also a 2020 XLE), I did not concern my self too much with it, as it did not seem to affect vehicle function. I decided to wait until my first service visit to get Toyota to look into it.

The vehicle worked fine until the Saturday it was scheduled to go in for its six month maintenance. On that morning, when I went to drive it in, the vehicle failed to start (the engine not turning over, dash lights flashing), which seemed to indicate a dead battery. I contacted Toyota to tell them I would be late for my appointment, and had roadside assistance pay me a visit to boost the vehicle. Once it was boosted, the vehicle ran fine, and I was able to drive it to Toyota for the six month servicing and to check out the reason for the drained battery. They contacted me later that day to say that the battery was run down and they were charging it up. They had no answers for why this had occurred, but I mentioned the buzzing or clicking sounds it made while off, and they said they would have to have a technician hook it up to computer to diagnose it, but being the weekend when the techs were not working, I would have to schedule another visit during the week.

I took the vehicle home that day (Saturday) and it worked fine as usually, still buzzing when off. The next Monday I booked an appointment (which I had to wait two weeks for) to get the buzzing looked at. The vehicle worked fine for those two weeks.

When I took the Rav in for Toyota to look at the second time, they had it for they day, and then informed me that they could not here any buzzing or clicking and said it was probably the exhaust cooling that I was hearing (having driven vehicles for nearly 40 years, and worked on many during that time, I took offense). When I went to pick up my vehicle, it was outside next to the building. I went around to the back of the vehicle and could still hear the buzzing, although it was hard to hear unless you put your ear close to the back end, as the building's A/C system was making a loud racket. I went in to the service department, got one of the service reps to come out and put his ear to the back to hear the sound. He heard it and bough out a tech to listen as well. They agreed to further investigate and I left the vehicle overnight to examine the issue. The next day after looking into the source of the buzzing, they eventually concluded that it was a faulty ECU that was causing a relay or servo to run on after engine shutoff. Luckily they had one in stock and replaced the defective unit and the buzzing disappeared.

It was a hassle to get them to finally take the buzzing seriously and look into and resolve the issue, but now at least there is no buzzing from the back of the car, and hopefully there will be no more draining of the battery. I apologize for the long winded description, but I thought the details of my issue might help others determine a possible explanation for a drained battery, when nothing else seems to be at fault.

TLDR: Faulty ECU caused relay or servo to run on after vehicle shutoff, eventually draining the battery.
I experienced the same issue with the battery dying. The service department and Toyota agents said that the buzzing noise coming from the back is something normal. I find it curious that the battery died the day after. I have not heard the buzzing since then. It seems to be a random occurrence. The second time it died the vehicle started funny the day before. I imagine that Toyota is aware that there is something going on with the new RAVs. I guess until there is a potential recall, this is something that I will have to deal with until I can trade it in or it is paid off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I experienced the same issue with the battery dying. The service department and Toyota agents said that the buzzing noise coming from the back is something normal. I find it curious that the battery died the day after. I have not heard the buzzing since then. It seems to be a random occurrence. The second time it died the vehicle started funny the day before. I imagine that Toyota is aware that there is something going on with the new RAVs. I guess until there is a potential recall, this is something that I will have to deal with until I can trade it in or it is paid off.
Yeah, it sucks that it is not occuring constantly like mine did. It is definately not normal, as my wife's Rav4, which is the exact same year and model does not make any sound at all. Even with mine making the noise, I had to prod Toyota service to fix it, which luckily they did. If it happens again, mentioned that other Rav4 owners have had similar issues and that it was the ECU that was faulty. I would ask them to test out the ECU and hopefully they can replace it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The only buzzing noise that's normal is the evap system pump running for a few minutes. It goes on in about 4 to 5 hours after the car has been turned off. That's what the Toyota rep is probably talking about so you need to press the issue. There should be no buzzing at the rear all the time when the car is turned off.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited Silver over Black
50 Posts

Where in the back did you have this buzzing?? Inside, outside, driver's side, passenger side????

·
Registered
22 Posts
Where in the back did you have this buzzing?? Inside, outside, driver's side, passenger side????
The buzzing was heard strongest at the very back of the hatch (in the middle) outside of the car, right at bumper level. However, on our relatively quite street (we park our vehicles outside, in the driveway), you could hear the buzzing by just walking near the back end of the RAV4. In fact, the neighbours have commented on the sound, as they were concerned there was something wrong with the vehicle. With the ECU replacement, so far no more buzzing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased 2020 Toyota Rav4 LE Hybrid in November 2019, since then the battery is drained twice. I went to the dealer he could not find any faults, now from another forum on Car Gurus someone responded that is not the battery it is the starter.
Please see the response below:
They wrote:
"In answer to B's response about hybrids, I don't the battery in the article is the one that is giving all of us these problems. It's not the hybrid battery, it's the one used for the starter that is for some reason being drained.... and it seems like a problem with the 2020s, not previous models. Also, someone on this string had it with a non-hybrid. The reason I went with Toyota was because they had so much experience with the Prius, which has been around for 25 years without having this problem. "

1 - 20 of 21 Posts