Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
not an expert of engines , my car sometimes smokes white very badly for some seconds from exhaust with heavy smell inside the car
then nothing for 20..30 or more minutes then back again to white smoke. Got this screenshot from Techstream look weird the Injection Feedback val#1 sometimes goes even to -1.1 the others mostly of the times 0 or positive values. Hope some one expert can analyze whole data. thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,970 Posts
This forum is mainly North American based and since we don't have any RAV4 Diesels we can be of little help to you.

But owning two Diesel pickups I can say that white smoke specifically on a Diesel often indicates unburned fuel which is typically due to low compression or a cold engine.
On any engine it can be from coolant getting into the combustion chambers.

·
Registered
2007 sport v6 203k miles
54 Posts
The number 1 injector is bad dumping too much fuel into the cylinder. -1.1mm3 is way too much for regular cylinder balancing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies , i did some research in a while . injection period values is fine from +2.5 to -2.5 not big deal even huge gap beetwen the 4 injectors
seems what deal to replace injectors to avoid crack pistons is to check Calculated Load optimal values , with idle engine status , is around 10..12 from 25..30 its bad
and also Injection Volume above 15 while idling not good sign too ..i'm not expert is all infos found searching over the net.

·
Registered
2007 sport v6 203k miles
54 Posts
Each injection stroke value is .0047cc and you mentioned it would drop to .0047-.0011cc sometime.

The injector number 1 has a -23% (-1.1/4.7) negative fuel trim compensation to maintain cylinder balance. It really seems quite a lot to me and probably really very close to the lower limit set by the ECM computer. Usually the fuel trim limit should be around +-20% to set an engine fault code.

FYI, 1 mm3 = .001 cc. At idle the engine burns .0047x4x400x60 =450cc /hr diesel at idle.

·
Registered
2007 sport v6 203k miles
54 Posts
I forgot to ask if you have replaced the 5th injector for the DPF before? And do you have a lot of smoke coming out when doing the DPF regen?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to ask if you have replaced the 5th injector for the DPF before? And do you have a lot of smoke coming out when doing the DPF regen?
Yes Rav-O-Matic replaced that 5th injector me too tought was bad but continues to smoke and not while DPF rejuvination , start a very substantial
white smoke randomly ,while traveling before doing that you feel strong of unburned diesel smell inside cockpit then few seconds later exhaust smoking
maybe its an injector with intermittent issue and the ecm cannot capture the status i guess the best is try to replace them.

·
Registered
2007 sport v6 203k miles
54 Posts
One thing I don’t understand is how did the raw diesel smell enter the cabin when the car was moving. Is there is a fuel leak or exhaust leak somewhere from under the hood? Your egr valve and Piping are fully intact right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts