Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topic: Alternator Upgrade
Vehicle : 2009 Rav4 w/ 2.5L 4 cyl (2AR-FE)

I was hoping to hear from members about alternator upgrades you have found. I have been looking for alternators and can’t really find too many options. I need a unit thats going to boost amperage will still being reliable for a daily commuter. I have wired the rav4 up with lots of 1 AWG front to back with fusing at both ends as well. The ground is also solid and has been tested for resistance. I have a 150amp AFL waffle fuse next to the premium AGM battery and a distribution fused block in the back. With a few bigger amps going in soon I want to maximize performance and reliability as this is a daily commuter vehicle...

Stock 2.5liter engine has an 80 amp alternator I believe.

Goal would be to find an alternator with minimum 140amp all the way up to 240amp in size.

Worries would be that I have heard lots of failures with high performance alternators. I was hoping to avoid this by getting some testimonials. I have heard good feedback on the MECHMAN Custom brand.

Is there any other reputable aftermarket alternator brands with higher than stock output that I should look into? Something such as AC Delco possibly!

I was also told that I should take my alternator to a local remanufacturer. There is a place in the next city that has been building and rebuilding alternators for decades and has a very big facility which only does windings and alternators. Is getting an alternator “ hot rodded” something thats an option in regards to higher performance? The last thing I want is to be used as a test ground for alternator builder.

I really hope to get some feedback from other Toyota owners and what they did for alternator upgrades. I know that the alternator for my RAV4 2.5 later 4 cyl is the same unit found in many Toyota vehicle such as, Camry, Scion tC,

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
Have you looked at the alternator on the V6 with tow prep package? You would need to replace the alternator fuse with a 140A one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts