Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been reading a lot on here, so thanks for the input ive already gotten from all of you, now im a member so im glad to be here! I have the 2.5l rav, and I tow a 14ft john boat that had a deck welded in, i have an 18hp motor, trolling motor and all that fun stuff, i dont think my set up breaks 1200 pounds and the rav is rated up to 1500.. I feel my rav handles this very well and i still get 19mpg with the boat! on top of that im even more so confident on my set up after reading all of your helpful posts..ive been fishing with this set up hard for about a year and a half now, i just wanted to get all your opinions on this. Should I do tranny flushes? should i get air bags or bigger springs to help my slight sag when i tow? thats the only thing that bothers me is my slight sag..any input will be greatly appreciated, ive been wanting a tacoma, but i love my little boat and rav, and id take a mpg hit if i got a pick up, so ive been thinkin about just keepin the rav as long as i keep fishing with small aluminum boats. let me know your thoughts my fellow rav owners! >:D

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Any time you do towing, frequent transmission fluid changes should help you prolong transmission life. If you have never done a flush I recommend you do one using the return line. After that I would do a drain and fill every 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any time you do towing, frequent transmission fluid changes should help you prolong transmission life. If you have never done a flush I recommend you do one using the return line. After that I would do a drain and fill every 25,000 miles.
I have been trying to learn diy work, have never done the tranny flush let alone with the return line...is this something I can recommend my dealer do? If so how much do they charge? Or is it easier for me to do it myself?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
You can read the procedures here how it is done and judge yourself if you want to do it.

I am not sure how much your mechanics charges but it would be near $150-$250. To be safe you should insist on getting Toyota WS fluid since some shops may not use the proper fluid.

To make it simplier for the diy'er skipping the transmission filter change would greatly reduce the time to do the work. It is messy work but not overly complicated. Many just do a simple drain and fill which works fine under normal driving conditions. Towing a trailer shortens the life of the transmission fluid very rapidly and hence I recommend the flush via return line. Once you get all new transmission fluid in then follow every 25,000 miles with a regular drain and fill.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot DL175, I love Canada btw! I think Im just gona get my dealer to do a whole flush, will that be good enough? or will i need to recommend they do the return line thing? Im sure ill be cool with the drain and fill myself, just dont wana risk anything with doing the whole flush and all..

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
There are transmission flushing machines that some places use. Those machines pushes fluid through the system and I prefer not to go with those types. Using the return line is the old way of doing flushes before those flushing machines came out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I had my flush done at a toyota dealer, and they told me i wont have to do any drain and fills cause of the specific atf t4 fluid my rav uses? you ever hear that one? they made it seem as tho i didnt even need the flush ever, lol, but i insisted to at least check, and they told me i didnt have to, but i still did anyway..

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The toyota WS ATF is said to be a "lifetime" . It is not. A drain and fill every 20K will be more then enough.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
So I had my flush done at a toyota dealer, and they told me i wont have to do any drain and fills cause of the specific atf t4 fluid my rav uses? you ever hear that one? they made it seem as tho i didnt even need the flush ever, lol, but i insisted to at least check, and they told me i didnt have to, but i still did anyway..
What Mr Pulldown said.......!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Couple of things: the spec for the 2011 2.5l is ATF WS, not Type IV. And while the WS is touted as "lifetime" fluid, changes are recommended if towing (as well as the rear diff and transfer case fluid changes). Surprising the Toyota dealer didn't know that.

Reactions: RADBEE

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
any of you know of any ways to help my rear sag? taller springs? air bags? or should i just suck it up and deal with it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts