Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am using rav4 98 for past 15 days. I noticed in my auto gear there is small od button. I realised that it was on so far. Now i press to switch it off. Does driving while on consuems more petrol and is meant for 4 wheel drive. Anybody pls. illustrate full details of this od button and when it should be used. Also i have noticed L and 2 button on my auto gear, i dont the function of it.
Pls. bear with me as i am using auto for the first time

thanks...
qatar

·
Registered
181 Posts
The L and 2 button are like first and second gears on a manual........unless your towing something you dont need to physically put the gearstick there. The overdrive is like 5th gear on a manual. Around town you dont need to use it, but it will drink less petrol if you use it on the freeway.

Personally I'd leave it on all the time, as the gearbox will determine itself if it needs to go into overdrive (which is 4th gear) or not.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
howdy

just read your post, just interested, where are you in qatar, whats your nationality? i'm in doha hope we could be in touch.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
about the OD

the overdrive button is essentally the 4th gear of the auto trans (aka, the "over-drive gear"). the over drive should ALWAYS BE ON, as that gear saves the most gas when at a highway crusing speed. when it is off, the transmission will not go beyond 3rd gear, which will kill your gas milage on the highway. The only times you really ever need to turn it off is when you go off road (personally, when i go off road i stick it in the "2" slot) or if you need an extra burst of power (going up big hills, overtaking cars, etc.) but other than that, you should keep it on to keep your gas milage low.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts