Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not a fan of this trend of adding trim or colour packages giving the impression that performance was improved.
^^^
Says the guy with the "sport edition" rav4. >:D Just kidding.

Yeah when I saw it was a new model to the line up and not a one off dealer package, and had 3500lb towing I was all excited that it was a new powertrain, but nope. Was disappointed to see the same engine and specs.

But, for people who need the tow rating or just like the look(I do), it'll be another great option.

·
Registered
423 Posts
2018 Toyota RAV4 Adventure is Ready for Fun » AutoGuide.com News

What really excites me is the
elevated ride height and a standard trailer-prep package, which includes an upgraded radiator as well as engine-oil and transmission-fluid coolers.
THIS is what a RAV4 is supposed to be!

Wish the article above included some specs. Such as ground clearance and towing capability. Nodnerb, where did you read the 3,500 pound capacity? Maybe that is for the Canadian version?

·
Registered
423 Posts
It's in the article I linked to under the picture. Says 3500 for awd and 2900 for fwd.
Thank you. I didn't see your link. Might have mistaken it for part of your signature. If what shows up on the showroom floors, and the gasoline consumption is close to the current offerings, I just might trade in my '15 Limited for one of these puppies.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
towing 3500# with that 2.5 liter!?! my wifes venza with the more powerful and torqueful 2.7l engine only has a 2700# rating with the 4 cylinder with tow prep.

I'll stick with my V6 for towing.

Reactions: DVS and JVBRAV4

·
Registered
132 Posts
It does look nice, but I'm willing to bet it'll go for $31,000+. The extra towing capacity and ride height is a welcome addition, but the cosmetic changes are nothing to sneeze at - still no skid plate and I'm surprised they didn't make mudguards standard, unless that changes by the time they hit the showroom. I do like the wider wheel well molding. I think I might PlastiDip my hood to match that stripe though.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yay. One more year to the current styling.

Maybe the TNGA platform for the RAV4 is still in the works.

Hopefully Toyota announces a pure electric vehicle by the end of 2018.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
What a joke. Can you even imagine towing 3500 lbs. with that four banger? Other than the tow prep it appears to be badges and ugly oversized wheels. Doesn't work for me at all but it will likely sell in big numbers. I am not impressed.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Put a damn V6 in this thing or at least a turbo 2.5L.
Well, they did put a turbo 4 in it, but they called it a Lexus NX. The interesting thing to me though is the amazing amount of room between the back of the current 4 cylinder installation and the firewall. It is way larger than it needs to be to get the I4 in there, and says to me that somewhere in development someone wanted to leave room for a V6. I've seen other transverse mounted engines in SUVs where you cant even get your hand down between the engine and firewall without dismantling part of the top of the engine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Agreed. I can see the marketing line now; Introducing the new 2018 Rav4 Adventure, for when you need to tow more than just your wife on a parachute..

Well, they did put a turbo 4 in it, but they called it a Lexus NX. The interesting thing to me though is the amazing amount of room between the back of the current 4 cylinder installation and the firewall. It is way larger than it needs to be to get the I4 in there, and says to me that somewhere in development someone wanted to leave room for a V6. I've seen other transverse mounted engines in SUVs where you cant even get your hand down between the engine and firewall without dismantling part of the top of the engine.
Even with the Hybrid there's tons of room in there.

·
Registered
342 Posts
What a joke. Can you even imagine towing 3500 lbs. with that four banger?
It will be sketchy, but that is why 3500 lbs is absolutely positively the very maximum that should be towed with it.

Tacomas with 4 cylinders had the same engine output and towing capacity for a very long time. They are used all over the world with no problems. Sure, neither the Tacoma nor the RAV4 will go up a mountain at 80mph with a 3500 lbs. trailer. Having a super duty F350 with 900 lb/ft torque to haul around a pair of ladders and a toolbox is a purely American thing. :D

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What a joke. Can you even imagine towing 3500 lbs. with that four banger? Other than the tow prep it appears to be badges and ugly oversized wheels. Doesn't work for me at all but it will likely sell in big numbers. I am not impressed.
Pretty sure they're just the 18" limited wheels in black. Pretty surprised at the tow rating as well though. The slight ride height increase is nice though but haven't seen an actual spec. Apparently there are some minor interior changes, different body cladding. I don't like the extended plastic trim around the wheels at all.
Overall I like the look personally.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wish this package was available in 2016 when I got my RAV4. I live in the desert southwest and I would buy it just to have the extra oil and radiator cooling. I wonder if the payload goes up also? I would think with that much more towing capability, it would also require suspension and brake modifications. Too bad I can't afford to take a loss on my 2016 :-(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts