0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where to get a smaller antenna for a 2005 Rav4 chili edition

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
_

do a search on ebay for "rav4 antenna" and you get a few. i personally have a shorty antenna (from a tucson *shhh*) that i wanna modify to fit the rav but i need an extension.

i've always wondered if a stock antenna from another car will fit the rav cuz stocks will probably have better reception than an aftermarket just as short.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think I have the same antenna. Inexpensive from Can Tire and I can't complain. I don't listen to the radio much, but I think it looks better than the stock antenna. Similar styling, just shorter.

-Stephanie

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It works

The 15" 'Crappy Tire' one works pretty well. It does not oscillate like the stock one will do on occassion, and it stays clear of the trees, which was my biggest problem with the stock one. FM receiption is a bit less, but then again I live 90 miles from the nearest FM station, so it's going to be hard no matter what I use.

The rubber ducky ones tend to bend too much in the wind and are too fat. This one is very similar in construction to the stock, just shorter.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Anyone notice the housing for the antenna getting loose? I don't know if it's always been like that or not, but I noticed the oval black circular part that rests against the body moves around a little bit.

Wonder it's that lightning rod waving around in the wind and getting knocked around that's just loosened it up.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rav4mx isn't it kind of unsafe and illegal to take out your rear view mirror and replace them with monitor?

·
Registered
346 Posts
nouse4aname said:
Anyone notice the housing for the antenna getting loose? I don't know if it's always been like that or not, but I noticed the oval black circular part that rests against the body moves around a little bit.
Yes. That happened to me too.

I wanted the shorter antenna and my wife is from Canada, so I had family bring me a CanTire shorter antenna. I've had to take it off within 6 months of putting it on because the antenna now flops around in its socket. The effect has grown over time. The antenna overall does not wobble in the wind as much as the stock antenna does, but the wobbling it does do doesn't seem to be healthy for it. It doesn't hurt the car's antenna socket one bit, but if I kept it on, I think it would have eventually wobbled right off.

I've given up on the CanTire antenna and gone back to the stock one.

-Brian

·
Registered
446 Posts
Personally, I think that having an antenna in the fender is so 20 years ago, why in the heck would they do that when most of the world have a the antenna mounted in the A pillar (driver's side). If I were you, I would just use a plug and move the darn thing to the center rear and use a bee sting antenna instead. That is what I intend to do very shortly :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
my stubby antenna cost me about 50 cents...

I NEVER listen to the radio so I went to Home Depot and bought a 12mm? stainless screw and replaced my gigantic whip with it. Looks great and my radio actually still works in the city... I do live in a small city however and im sure ill lose reception if I go out a few kms.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i'll try soon... im ridiculously busy so hopefully by monday.
it sucks being a student during finals and having a mortgage and a car payment. :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
I can't say it's true for all small stubby antennas, but the one i have (replaced b/c someone stole my stock one) gets horrible reception. horrible. i mean horrible. i listen to cds now b/c it's so bad.

·
Registered
49 Posts
zoomie said:
I can't say it's true for all small stubby antennas, but the one i have (replaced b/c someone stole my stock one) gets horrible reception. horrible. i mean horrible. i listen to cds now b/c it's so bad.
Just the type of answer I am looking for.

Been curious as to the quality.....thanks bud

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I've had mine for a long time. Got it from brandsport, and I think my reception was better than the original.
/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=737

1 - 18 of 18 Posts