Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm facing a dilemma. My RAV4 is a manual and I've started to develop some left knee issues. I know that it will be a long shot....but does anyone know of a website that focuses on people wanting to trade cars or is there anyone here with an automatic 4.1 that would consider trading rides? I absolutely love my RAV4 and have put a lot of work into trying to keep it looking as new/clean and well running as possible. It's been a very tough decision to make, having to let this go. Its been in our family from 14 miles on, but I can't continue to drive a manual.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. I also have physical limitations which limit my choice of vehicles and sometimes require modification of car features for comfort. These things often creep up on us after owning/driving cars for a time. I hope you find someone with a comparable automatic vehicle willing to trade.

·
Registered
412 Posts
So, I'm facing a dilemma. My RAV4 is a manual and I've started to develop some left knee issues. I know that it will be a long shot....but does anyone know of a website that focuses on people wanting to trade cars or is there anyone here with an automatic 4.1 that would consider trading rides? I absolutely love my RAV4 and have put a lot of work into trying to keep it looking as new/clean and well running as possible. It's been a very tough decision to make, having to let this go. Its been in our family from 14 miles on, but I can't continue to drive a manual.

Toughing out is not an option?
Knee brace?
Heat pad around knee?
Knee surgery?

Sorry. I am a manual freak and if I am going through what you are, I will consider all alternatives before giving up a manual.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Have you considered changing it to an automatic?
Being a 2 wheel drive it should be easy. If you really like the car.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Toughing out is not an option?
Knee brace?
Heat pad around knee?
Knee surgery?

Sorry. I am a manual freak and if I am going through what you are, I will consider all alternatives before giving up a manual.
I am not the OP, but it ain't about you. We can't imagine being in his shoes. Not really. I double-clutch as much as possible and after doing it for fifty years, my technique is perfect, but we have to press the clutch very often anyway. When your knee gives out, or your leg is trembling to press it, things can become dangerous, fast. It is not socially responsible to put others at risk.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I am not the OP, but it ain't about you. We can't imagine being in his shoes. Not really. I double-clutch as much as possible and after doing it for fifty years, my technique is perfect, but we have to press the clutch very often anyway. When your knee gives out, or your leg is trembling to press it, things can become dangerous, fast. It is not socially responsible to put others at risk.
I agree with you on all accounts.
All I was saying was that hopefully all avenues have been investigated before he was making this decision. Of course I don't know his condition.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I agree with you on all accounts.
All I was saying was that hopefully all avenues have been investigated before he was making this decision.
Thanks for the correction. I hope he can get it fixed, too.

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
I have had the same problem - had to give up my manual shift 2005 CR-V because my left knee was rebelling at using the clutch, but I wasn't happy about surrendering that CR-V because I knew that manuals were on their way out in that category, and I don't like automatic gearboxes including the one on my RAV. Thought about having knee replacement surgery, but I don't like being cut upon because of prior ops. and so I'm delaying as long as possible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I acquired my 4.1 through a title for title swap by using the local 'for sale or trade' groups on Facebook.

Search the groups for ones local to your area, and post your ad. Obviously, you are under no obligation, and you might turn up something interesting.

I had negotiated a trade within 6 hours of posting my ad. Here is what I got:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I have exhausted all options. Surgery is one of those, but I work in rehabilitation and sometimes a knee replacement is a catch 22, in that it may solve some issues, while creating other issues. I'm only 28 and would rather not go through with that this early in life. As far as manual gear boxes go, I do like them in sports cars, but in my RAV4, in my opinion, the automatics do just fine. I've had a couple other people suggest converting mine to an automatic, but I can't dedicate enough time for that. I will check out facebook though, I didn't even think about that! I really miss my RAV4 Sport....lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts