Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..

I have looked at about 50 different brands...and would like to hear from someone
who can recommend the best for outside storage in South Fla..lots of sun and high winds..sometimes.

So far..the best I see by ratings is Platinum Shield by CARCOVERS.COM,,,,,,Budge (around since 1940),,Empire, and then another like the first one but different CARCOVER.COM

As we know often the ratings can be biased...

thanks
joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can’t recommend a specific make, but I do have a comment from using covers in the past. I highly recommend getting one with multiple tie down points. I lost one to the wind that only had one tie that went under the middle of the car from side to side. I never found the one that blew off. Any elastic at the corners will eventually lose its stretch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi..

I have looked at about 50 different brands...and would like to hear from someone
who can recommend the best for outside storage in South Fla..lots of sun and high winds..sometimes.

So far..the best I see by ratings is Platinum Shield by CARCOVERS.COM,,,,,,Budge (around since 1940),,Empire, and then another like the first one but different CARCOVER.COM

As we know often the ratings can be biased...

thanks
joe
I have a defective carcover and so far they have failed to replace it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i urge all to consider twice whether a car cover is a good idea. Especially with a vehicle as tall as the RAV4 is, to install it one must drag parts of it across the paint to get it into place or to remove. So even on a sunny day when one drive around, your car collects small dirt/dust particles. So if one does not every time detail your car before putting a car cover onto it, under a magnifying glass you can see it is not a pleasant mix to drag across your paint. There is also the issue of what if your vehicle gets wet while you are driving around.

Even if one buys a super soft underside-next-to-paint cover, that dust/dirt will become imbedded in your cover, so every time your put it on or off, true it is an exaggeration but you are slightly sanding your paint.

Even worse is pollen. Here is what tree pollen looks like (again of course magnified). Many other grass and other pollens have this general shape with outer spikes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts