Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some issues with my daughters 98 RAV4 yesterday, still have them....in the process of troubleshooting a "no start" situation, I noticed that yesterday the Check Engine Light would come on if the ignition switch was in the "on" position. It now longer comes on and I thought that I read somewhere that was an indication of an issue perhaps with the ECM. Does anyone know of what that is? I've checked relays, fuses connections etc. still doesn't start.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If the EFI fuse (located in fuse box under the hood near the air cleaner) blows, the CEL will not illuminate and the motor will not start. There's a 'fuse map' on the inside of the cover. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I have egg on my face! Thanks to Ken above, I went out and rechecked the fuses and found that the fuse was good but when I had replaced it the first time after checking it, I put it in the blank fuse location. I put the fuse in the right spot and the car started right up. My original problem "no start" issue was caused when I adjusted the alternator belt after it had loosened. I was unaware that the lower alternator bracket bolt was missing. As I adjusted the belt, it pinched the crank sensor wires and damaged them. I cut out the damaged section, soldered and insulated them then checked the resistance and it was in the normal range, I just couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start. Now I know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts