Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the board, started looking around about a week ago as I'm interested in a 2006 RAV4 Sport in Flint Mica.

My question is, when you all decided to look at the 2006 RAV4 as a new vehicle, what did you compare it to? What other vehicles should I cross-shop to compare (new)? Xterra? CRV? Xtrail?

EDIT: Also, if anyone has a picture of the Dark Charcoal fabric that they could post, that would be great.

Thanks for your help,
neil

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The G Man said:
I also looked at the CRV, forrester and the Liberty.
Okay then...

Why did you buy the RAV4 then? What was it over the CRV/Forrester/Liberty that sold you?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Test drive them both and you'll find out!! :D

Seriously, I was all set to buy a CRV until the new RAVs came out. Then I heard about the new RAVs and test drove one back-to-back against a CRV with two friends with me.

When were done test driving them, there was just no question. The RAV is just that much nicer in so many ways.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have found nothing that is directly comparable to the RAV4.3. Closest things are the Toytoa Highlander and Honda Pilot (we are looking for a 6-7 passenger vehicle). The RAV is such a better value than those.

We are actually cross-shopping it with a Sienna, which isn't fair competition (for either one!), but a tough decision.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vigil said:
Test drive them both and you'll find out!! :D
Oh I know. I plan on doing that. 8)

I was just wondering on why others chose the RAV4.

On paper, it definitely seems hard to beat. Especially the V6...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
before the rav4, i had my heart set on the nissan murano which was out of my budget range. but the rav4 was the next best alternative to the murano. probably the best bang for the buck.

i also considered a cr-v (changing models next year), xterra (too bulky for a girl) and the element (kinda ugly). i didn't even bother test driving those cars. i test drove the murano first (loved it but cant afford it) then the rav4 (loved it and CAN afford it) :lol: didnt need to compare w/ other after that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Drove Santa Fe, CRV, Mariner, Rendezvous. The distance between the Rav and its nearest competitor was steep, but that could well change next year when the new CRV and new Santa Fe are out. Like the other poster, the Murano looked fantabulous but it was out of our range... it also had a noisier ride and gets worse gas mileage while requiring premium fuel.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so4reelz: I completely agree. My parents have a Murano which I absolutely love, but like your situation, it's a little too expensive for me.

I think it's down to the RAV4 and the Xterra. But the Xterra is about 600 lbs heavier, more of a 'truck like' ride and gets worse gas milage (on paper). But it does have a 6MT....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By looking at the attributes of the rav.. it looks like it compares well against midsize sedans. Anyone else decide to buy a new rav after first comparing it to an accord, camry, milan etc? It has similar interior dimensions, acceleration, and handling (61.5 mph slalom or something like that).

·
Registered
420 Posts
Here's my little comparison report. Mind, it is for the U.S. market, California in fact (which is significant, because we do not get diesel Liberty).

Initially, I wanted a simple 4x4, which is nearly impossible to find these days (if we do not count trucks and things like Explorer Sport Trac). Simply put, there's no market for this kind of vehicle. Everyone wants sophistication, Murano styling, independent rear (even Explorer got one). Actually, there's nothing wrong with independent rear when done right, and I lusted after a Montero for a while, until I convinced myself that $50K is just too darn much. Anyway, only two vehicles are sold in the class now: Liberty and xTerra (ok, maybe Vitara too, but it's kinda smallish. And Korean sutff, I don't count that).

I compared Liberty against xTerra with CR-V and RAV4 as backups. One vehicle which is undeservedly forgotten is Endeavor. I have to say, I skipped it just because we do not have a Mitsubishi dealership anywhere near. I tried that thing before, and was suitably impressed, but circumstances conspired to exclude it. And Suzuki Vitara, heck, if I could find one closer than 80 miles (120km), I might have tested it.

Liberty was my early favourite, but it turned out that its windshield meets the roof very low and I cannot see the road in it. Otherwise, it was excellent. I even checked if insurance penalizes the gate-mounted tyre (It does not. It's an urban legend). Diesel would make it perfect (*hate* California). You guys should have seen places where I took my cars, sometimes towed by 4x4s, but nonetheless. I like that stuff. Got suspension and body hit by rocks a few times, etc. So I do not care for quite poor gas mileage, noise, and small ergonomic things. Too bad it was designed for gnomes or something, or I would buy it on the spot.

xTerra is just like Liberty, mybe a hair taller. I measured all internal dimensions, it's about the same. However, they do not have anything cheap, at all. They only pretend, but even S model with 4x4 starts way above $25K. Bah.

CR-V shows its age. Inside length with seats folded is poor, because seats do not fold completely, just recline forward. And face it, it's small in not a good way. Not like our grandpa 4.1, which is small and nimble. It's essentially an overblown AWD Civic. Well, again, it's not bad in general. Endeavor uses Galant platform, for example, and it's quite nice. But this one is a formerly too refined, now expanded, box. Overpriced for its qualities, I think.

RAV4 is quite nice, as you guys know. I really was unhappy with the inspection of the bottom side. That naked oil pan is just scary. And I have no word for the fuel tank. Meh. I suppose I won't be going anywhere where I haven't taken Neon in this thing. But at least I can take soft inclines under my own power, which was kinda bummer in 4x2. Plus, jacking every 10m in the sand and putting wood under wheels was an enormous PITA :) I'm going to revisit a few old spots and see how it goes, maybe post pics to the forum. BTW, RAV4 has front and rear towing hooks. No more hooking around a motor mount. All in all, it's a decent "soft-roader". It's very comfortable inside (for a man of my size), especially without the sun roof. Good capacity - bigger than xTerra, believe it or not (except the inside height). Normal size wheels, unlike the puny donuts on CR-V. I'm quite happy with it so far.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
vigil said:
...Seriously, I was all set to buy a CRV until the new RAVs came out. Then I heard about the new RAVs and test drove one back-to-back against a CRV with two friends with me....
I had test driven the 2004 CR-V and RAV4 on the same day a couple of years ago and thought the RAV4 handled noticeably better at that time. So when the 2006 RAV4 came out, it was no contest (despite some improvements in the CR-V since 2004). It was painful parting company with Honda (loved my Accord) but the '06 RAV4 is such a great product.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts