Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback on how to remove the roof frame from a RAV4 (4.1) convertible. The fabric roof itself is easy to remove, but it's the metal frame that I'm enquiring about.

There are torx head screws that secure the metal bars to a bracket (and the bracket is mounted to the car's body), but once removed the metal frame bars are still resistant to coming free. Not yet ready to get aggressive with it, until I learn more.

Many thanks,
Frederick (NSW Australia)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the diagram. Very helpful for a better understanding of how the roof can be dismantled.
Cheers Frederick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As you can see, the bolts have been removed but bars are resistant to removal. I’ll share the solution once I’ve figured it out.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
The circled item is the captive nut the screw goes into? If so is it part of the other leg of the clevis? The screw is a shoulder bolt correct? Trying to figure out if there's a bushing in there that is going though the eye or if possibly the clevis has shoulders that are doing the same. If you pivot the arm while looking in the hole, can you see the stationary ID of the eye?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I’d try threading the screw in there a few turns and then pushing on it while wiggling the arm. See if it comes out that way?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the above replies. I'll return to my workshop over the weekend and then will be able to return to this thread with more information. I appreciate the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts