Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got involved in an accident today with my 2015 RAV4 Limited. No injuries. Something happened on the highway causing the car in front of me to brake suddenly. I quickly slowed down and avoided hitting the car in front of me, but right then a pickup truck slammed into the back of my RAV4 at highway speed. [Pics attached]

To make matters worse, I had an empty bicycle rack installed, which intensified the damage as you will see in the pictures. Everyone was cooperative in exchanging insurance info. What's interesting is my car was still "drivable" after the accident, as I had to move it across the highway (when it was blocked by fire trucks of course).

I got the car towed, and am waiting for the repair analysis. The front of the car is perfectly fine, everything works, not a scratch. But the rear end is a completely different story.

Based on these pictures, how bad does it look? Any estimates on how much I'll have to spend? Does it look like the frame needs some fixing? I just hope its not marked as totaled. The front and sides are still in good condition, but the rear is pretty bad.

The inside of the cabin is still completely "intact." The tailgate obviously needs replacing but I just hope the costs won't be astronomical. No airbags deployed. The front of the pickup truck that hit me was completely destroyed.

Any insight would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tailgate and bumper need to be replaced. It looks like the frame should be okay. Being it's a Limited with sensors in the bumpers and all, it'll cost a few thousand to fix, but it's definitely not a total.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
My guess would be about $7500 - $8000 cost to repair, but should be covered by the pickup driver's insurance.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The bike rack have helped concentrating the impact to center. Both side of rear still look straight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wrote a quick estimate on what I can see damaged from the photos and some assumptions and got a little over $9000 which is around 50% of the total loss threshold. It would be all OEM parts. I am assuming the car has more than 36k and is 3 years or older so some LKQ or aftermarket parts come into play to lower the cost a bit. Most insurance companies total at around 70%-80%

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see, thank you all for your responses. Yeah, the bike rack probably helped in some aspects now that I think about it. I'm glad its probably not a total, I'll see what the insurance company says on Tuesday. The brakes on the RAV4 surprised me in a very good way. Luckily I managed to avoid hitting anything in front of me.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Glad you and all occupants are OK. From the damage I see done to the rear passenger side of your RAV I think that the insurance company just might total your vehicle.

Look below the taillight on the right, that damage doesn't look like it is repairable without cutting the piece off and welding a new piece on. Also, the 'C' pillar(?) could be damaged in that corner as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got rear ended last year in my 2014 Honda Odyssey. The left rear quarter panel was bowed slightly, the bumper was bowed in a little and the rear hatch was creased just a little, but would still operate. The car would not start after the hit. It turned out that the battery, in the engine compartment, was damaged (something about one cell tipped over onto another cell and shorted out the battery). After the collision, I initially considered taking the car on a road trip before the repair, so to me the damage was not that great. My point in all this is that it is very hard to determine the real damage until the vehicle is torn down. In my case, the first estimate was based on pics and estimated to be $4000. After the initial tear down, the new estimate was $8000, and the final bill was $13000. The big labor item was cutting out the floor and then rewilding it back into place. I am sure your floor is pushed in too. In your middle pic it looks like the left rear door is not lining up with the back of the front door, but it could just be the angle of the photo. You will be surprised at the final number.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Got involved in an accident today with my 2015 RAV4 Limited. No injuries. Something happened on the highway causing the car in front of me to brake suddenly. I quickly slowed down and avoided hitting the car in front of me, but right then a pickup truck slammed into the back of my RAV4 at highway speed. [Pics attached]

To make matters worse, I had an empty bicycle rack installed, which intensified the damage as you will see in the pictures. Everyone was cooperative in exchanging insurance info. What's interesting is my car was still "drivable" after the accident, as I had to move it across the highway (when it was blocked by fire trucks of course).

I got the car towed, and am waiting for the repair analysis. The front of the car is perfectly fine, everything works, not a scratch. But the rear end is a completely different story.

Based on these pictures, how bad does it look? Any estimates on how much I'll have to spend? Does it look like the frame needs some fixing? I just hope its not marked as totaled. The front and sides are still in good condition, but the rear is pretty bad.

The inside of the cabin is still completely "intact." The tailgate obviously needs replacing but I just hope the costs won't be astronomical. No airbags deployed. The front of the pickup truck that hit me was completely destroyed.

Any insight would be great. Thanks.
I have seen what $6K of repairs looks like, what you have there is way worse. I would not be surprised if the vehicle was totalled. The fact that the front is unaffected only adds to that, all those parts that can be sold.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I have seen what $6K of repairs looks like, what you have there is way worse. I would not be surprised if the vehicle was totalled. The fact that the front is unaffected only adds to that, all those parts that can be sold.
This.
Wiped out the front corner of my Tundra and it was $8k (in 2003). That was all bolt-on except for the door skin (and I suspect they just replaced the door as I never heard/found any glass inside), no frame or engine/radiator/condensor damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the responses. The insurance company decided not to total it and instead conduct repairs. The frame wasn't affected, they say the bike rack helped absorb the impact without remolding the frame.

I'm just wondering, would the RAV4 still be safe to drive after such repairs? Would it start to vibrate on the highway?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thank you all for the responses. The insurance company decided not to total it and instead conduct repairs. The frame wasn't affected, they say the bike rack helped absorb the impact without remolding the frame.

I'm just wondering, would the RAV4 still be safe to drive after such repairs? Would it start to vibrate on the highway?[/QUOTE

Carried out properly your repaired car should be fine. Problem is it's value will take a hit as a consequence...Damage/cost of repair being entered on Carfax etc. My rav (2010)
was involved with a rather large buck deer causing 8000$ of damage. Car was 18 months old. I was hoping they would write it off but no such luck. It cost me almost $2000 on the trade in for my current Rav against what I would have got if no accident!?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I'm just wondering, would the RAV4 still be safe to drive after such repairs? Would it start to vibrate on the highway?[/QUOTE

Carried out properly your repaired car should be fine. Problem is it's value will take a hit as a consequence...Damage/cost of repair being entered on Carfax etc. My rav (2010)
was involved with a rather large buck deer causing 8000$ of damage. Car was 18 months old. I was hoping they would write it off but no such luck. It cost me almost $2000 on the trade in for my current Rav against what I would have got if no accident!?
I see, yeah that's what I was worried about as well. That sucks. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts

I'm just wondering, would the RAV4 still be safe to drive after such repairs? Would it start to vibrate on the highway?
I see, yeah that's what I was worried about as well. That sucks. Thanks for the info.
There's a lot that will remain unknown till it gets torn apart. Keep abreast of everything the body shop is doing and under no circumstances accept the car back till its right. Now is when you find out if your insurance is worth a hoot, and if the body shop is.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts

A good body shop can work wonders regarding repairs. Your RAV should be safe to drive after repairs and shouldn't "vibrate." Suggest that you make certain that the shop which carries out the work has an excellent reputation. As was previously noted the worst effect will be reduced value for the vehicle, but if you plan to keep it for a long time that problem will be considerably mitigated.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Retired from Havelock NC, yesterday morning I was having coffee with friends when another couple came in quite upset? Asking the problem they told the group they had just purchased a 2017 vehicle having traded in their 2014 vehicle. Now the problem starts.... During the three years they owned the trade in, having purchased it new also, they were the victims of one rear end crash and one other where an elderly person backed into one of the doors. The rear end crash was no where as extensive or costly yours. When the dealership pulled up the vehicle's CARFAX both accidents appeared, this resulted in a $5,000.00 reduction in vehicle value! Upset they went to three other dealerships, (different makes) and were confronted with the very same dilemma.: mad:

This was a real eye opener for myself as well as others at the table. If someone else crashes into my vehicle and there is no fault of mine then I will definitely also pursue fair trade vehicle loss, if I have to retain an attorney then I will also ask for legal fees. Why should you lose money when you have no fault?

It is imperative that you retain all information regarding the crash. Insure that you receive a copy of the police report that clearly shows where the fault lies. Police officers are required to code all accidents, showing pre crash motion as well as which vehicle is at fault and why. This will come in handy if you attempt restitution for loss of vehicle value.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts