Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
About half a year ago I got a rav 4.2 with the 1cd-ftv d4d diesel engine.
Overall I am very happy with it, the only thing is, it sounds very much not happy when I start it.

It always starts, always on the first try, but it cranks for about 3 seconds or so before it starts. Is this normal for this engine?
It does so hot or cold, I don't notice any difference. Outside temperature doesn't seem to make any difference either.

I have owned another diesel car before (1983 Mitsubishi pajero) but that one always started instantly.

Annoyed at this, I did try a couple of things:
* replaced the battery
* checked and replaced the glow plugs (one was faulty)
* replaced the fuel filter
* replaced the air filter
* took off the starter motor, and cleaned it... and sprayed some wd40 on it as suggested in one of the threads

None of these things made any difference. The only odd thing, is that after replacing the glow plugs, it started instantly.... once... But I am guessing that was a fluke. I checked the glow plugs again, they still seem to work fine.

I read a bit on this forum, that the most likely culprit would be either the starter motor, or the SCV's
Is there any way I could check if it is the one or the other? These are fairly expensive items to just replace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It was the starter motor

I found a cheap aftermarket starter motor, in a store with a nice return policy.

It starts like it has just left the factory!

Maybe I will try to open up the original starter motor, and see if there is something wrong with it, thats fixable

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
Glad that you may have found the culprit. In North America there are no diesel RAVS at all so folks from here can't offer any advice.

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Having a faulty glow plug obviously should make your RAV harder to start since it would start and run on three cylinders for a time. But it's good that you apparently were able to sort out the problem with the starter motor. Perhaps the one which you replaced can be easily repaired if starters motors still have carbon brushes - replacing them should be a simple job. I have not taken one apart for years so don't know whether starter motor technology is still the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts