Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2002 Rav4 diesel with a cracked flywheel, has anyone had the same problem. Its only done 31,000 miles.

:?

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Someone told me the clutch was modified on the early D4-D, due to premature failure. This chap said his flywheel had cracked and was replaced under warranty. The failure mod was reversing up hill with trailer, failed under 10.000 miles. He also said he knew of another person, with steep drive-way reversing failure without trailer.

Try looking through the service bulletins
http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/tsb_mp.asp?mscssid=&lang=En

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took my 2004 Diesel RAV into the dealer today and they diagnosed a cracked flywheel.

Mileage is 36000 and a new flywheel and clutch is to be fitted under warranty. They require the vehicle for 1-2 days but will provide a free courtesy car. "You are lucky" said the service manager, "without the warranty, the repair would be very expensive!"

The only symptoms I had was a sudden increase in engine noise/vibration about a week ago, with an intermittent rattle . The engine also felt a little coarser when pulling hard.

Since I bought the vehicle new, it has been serviced on schedule by the same dealer.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
storm said:
We have a 2002 Rav4 diesel with a cracked flywheel, has anyone had the same problem. Its only done 31,000 miles.

I never even knew this existed..diesel omg cool

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
storm said:

I own a 2003 RAV4 diesel with 130 000km. Had to chenge flywheel/clutch in september last year. This is very common fault, especially on diesels up to Mk2 version (2004 and newer). Mechanic told me the new flywheel is improved version (the same as on 2004+ version) and there will be no problem with it.
You are just out of luck. Repair costed me app EUR 1500,00.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Mr.Stang said:
storm said:

In Europe there are Diesels EVERYWHERE...... the price you pay for fuel over there is ridiculous.....

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AussieRAVer said:
Mr.Stang said:
storm said:

In Europe there are Diesels EVERYWHERE...... the price you pay for fuel over there is ridiculous.....
Unfortunately, diesel price is only 10% less than gasoline price.
Bigger advantage is fuel consumption. I used to have 2000 RAV4 2.0, 150 HP. It consumed 12litres per 100km. My diesel now consumes 7,5 - 8 litres per 100km on the same routes.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd have the diesel in a heartbeat if Toyota Australia would bring it in.

Our family has two 2005 RAVs (3 door auto and 5 door manual), both with the 2.4 litre engine. They turn in roughly 10lts/100km. Our 2006 Hilux SR5 diesel, gives an overall 8 lt/100 km, and has gone under 7 lt/100 km on longer trips.

Whilst the cost of diesel is appreciably higher than petrol in Oz (why?), the extra range afforded by diesel would be really nice in a RAV....that tank is just too small as is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts