Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Via eBay -- Not that I want these or anything... but can you tell where they might fit? The red RAV4 in the picture doesn't quite demonstrate them. Upper grill? Left and right of the fog lamps?

eBay link

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Left and Right of the Toyota insignia.
Thanks - I was looking at it on my phone and couldn't quite estimate the size of those things. I'd be interested to see what they look like installed - but I don't want to be the guinea pig :)

Here's my 3 minute Photoshop job...

·
Registered
59 Posts
It would actually just be nice to have the ones light up in area that is already in the headlight cluster. The ones that are for "Europe" only? What a joke. I'm hoping to maybe find the whole light cluster online sometime to install, or someday maybe a kit that will get those working.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Took the plunge with these LED DRLs...

I decided to give these 2013-specific LED DRLs a try: Toyota RAV4 2013 2014 Chrome Grille Vent LED Daytime Running Lights Guide DRL | eBay.

It was finally warm enough in Minnesota this weekend to spend quality time in the garage, and I was pleasantly surprised at how decent this light kit turned out to be.

Physical - nicely molded housings, well-sealed, precisely measured to fit into the lower grill area. Attachments could be a bit sturdier (three plastic cross-bars screwed into place) but the lamp units don't weigh much so I think it is enough.

Electrical - sturdy disconnects from lamp units to wiring harness, solid and apparently waterproofed control box. Four leads:
– supply (wired to battery +)
- ground (wired to battery - since it was in the same wiring bundle)
- trigger signal - to be wired to ACC so the lights only come on when the car is running (I went to 12-v power port in the center console since I don't like splicing into EOM wiring under the hood)
– headlight override - to turn the DRLs off when headlights are turned on (again, I just don't like splicing into EOM wiring under the hood and I don't think these DRLs have the "dazzle" problem of the non-shielded LEDs - I just taped off this wire)

Installation - mechanical was pretty easy, but this was the first time I had completely removed the front number cover. Only "gotcha" is remembering to disconnect (and reconnect) the fog lamp wiring!) Wiring was more of a pain, mostly because this was my first time opening up the center stack. I really do wish Toyota's TIS would tell you where ALL the hidden screws in the console trims are - and do all parts really need to overlap? :) Even so, not too bad. I went through the firewall via the unused "nipple" on the driver's side, and snaked behind the glove box to the power port.

Results - I think it looks pretty good! I may end up putting a shut-off switch into one of the blanks on the center stack, and if I add a trailer hitch this summer I will move from a direct battery hookup to an aux. power panel under the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Actually, my other car is an '05 LS430, so I am rather spoiled by those excellent low beams. The halogen projectors on the RAV aren't bad, but I have been doing a lot of surfing the Web for a sensible way to upgrade...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I decided to give these 2013-specific LED DRLs a try: Toyota RAV4 2013 2014 Chrome Grille Vent LED Daytime Running Lights Guide DRL | eBay.

It was finally warm enough in Minnesota this weekend to spend quality time in the garage, and I was pleasantly surprised at how decent this light kit turned out to be.

Physical - nicely molded housings, well-sealed, precisely measured to fit into the lower grill area. Attachments could be a bit sturdier (three plastic cross-bars screwed into place) but the lamp units don't weigh much so I think it is enough.

Electrical - sturdy disconnects from lamp units to wiring harness, solid and apparently waterproofed control box. Four leads:
– supply (wired to battery +)
- ground (wired to battery - since it was in the same wiring bundle)
- trigger signal - to be wired to ACC so the lights only come on when the car is running (I went to 12-v power port in the center console since I don't like splicing into EOM wiring under the hood)
– headlight override - to turn the DRLs off when headlights are turned on (again, I just don't like splicing into EOM wiring under the hood and I don't think these DRLs have the "dazzle" problem of the non-shielded LEDs - I just taped off this wire)

Installation - mechanical was pretty easy, but this was the first time I had completely removed the front number cover. Only "gotcha" is remembering to disconnect (and reconnect) the fog lamp wiring!) Wiring was more of a pain, mostly because this was my first time opening up the center stack. I really do wish Toyota's TIS would tell you where ALL the hidden screws in the console trims are - and do all parts really need to overlap? :) Even so, not too bad. I went through the firewall via the unused "nipple" on the driver's side, and snaked behind the glove box to the power port.

Results - I think it looks pretty good! I may end up putting a shut-off switch into one of the blanks on the center stack, and if I add a trailer hitch this summer I will move from a direct battery hookup to an aux. power panel under the hood.
They look unique, change those halogen fog lights to match your DRLs

·
Registered
26 Posts
Those look great! I'll be doing the OEM install on the regular fog lights, I was thinking about tying these into the Fogs instead of the DRLs, which and independent dash mounted switch. Where do they tie into? Inline or T-Tap?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anybody on here used/seen the "factory" LED DRLs that are sold through Toyota dealers in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts